Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursday Reviews - Get the Write Style!

There is one type of book every writer needs on his shelf - a style guide. These are reference books that tell you how to format certain aspects of what you write. There are different style guides for different types of writing, but the main two are The Chicago Manual of Style and The AP Stylebook.

The Chicago Manual of Style is the style guide you need if you're writing books. The AP Stylebook is the one you need if you're writing for any kind of periodical, including the Internet. These two books are not the last word on style, a lot of publishers (books and periodicals) will develop their own internal style guides, but they are usually based on one of these two books.

These style guides are updated periodically, as our language changes. Both The Chicago Manual of Style and The AP Stylebook are offered as online subscriptions. I highly recommend this option because they are updated so frequently.

There are other style guides out there, but these two are considered the best. Because I write books and articles, I own both (and have a subscription to both).

Don't forget to join the conversation!

1 comment:

  1. Edie,
    Thanks for passing this on and making clear which style book you need to use for different kinds of writing.

    Off to the bookstore I go!