Saturday, October 10, 2026

What an NFL Quarterback Can Teach Writers About Reaching Their Goals

From Edie: Beth Vogt shares what an NFL quarterback can teach writers about reaching their goals, avoiding comparison, and staying focused on their own writing journey.


What an NFL Quarterback Can Teach Writers About Reaching Their Goals
by Beth K. Vogt @BethVogt

I would like to be an NFL quarterback.

All right now. Y’all stop laughing. 

Instead of suggesting I concentrate on writing a fictional pro quarterback, ask me, “Why would you ever want to be an NFL quarterback, Beth?” 

I’ll tell you—and yes, my reasons apply to writing.

Have you ever observed an NFL quarterback during a football game? Let me be more specific: Have you seen what a quarterback does when he’s sitting on the sidelines? Have you ever watched an NFL quarterback during a game when he’s not on the field—when he’s not in the thick of it, calling plays, handing off the ball, throwing passes? 

I have. 

(Insert mental image here of me wearing one of my Denver Broncos shirts while seated in front of my TV. If we’re losing—ahem!—I’m not sitting. I’m pacing.)

When a quarterback is on the sidelines, he doesn’t seem to care about what’s happening on the field. He’s on the bench, studying film—probably of his last plays. He’s drinking water or maybe throwing a few reps to stay loose. But rarely is he watching what’s happening on the field, unless it’s a “we’re down to the last five seconds and our kicker has to make this field goal to win the game” kind of play.

Why is this? 

When he’s on the sidelines, a quarterback can’t do anything to win the game. He has to be on the field to help produce a win. If the defense is up, well, obviously the quarterback can’t help the team. 

What can writers learn from an NFL quarterback?

It’s a simple lesson, really. 

Do what you can when you can to achieve your writing goals—and don’t worry about how the game is playing out for everyone else.

Other writers? They’re playing their writing game. You’re playing yours. It’s a waste of your time and energy to look over your shoulder at who’s won an award or landed an agent or signed on the dotted line again for a three-book contract. And no counting how many books so-and-so has published.

Focusing on the progress of other writers just slows you down. Worse, it will trip you up with envy or comparison—and where is that going to get you? No where—except in a pit of discouragement. You certainly won’t accomplish anything down there.

You ready to act like an NFL quarterback and tackle your writing goals? (See what I did there? And yes, that’s a jumbled metaphor.) I’m cheering you on!

TWEETABLE

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” She’s authored 15 novels and novellas, both contemporary romance and women’s fiction. Beth is a Christy Award winner, an ACFW Carol Award winner, and a  RITA® finalist. Her newest contemporary romance novel, Dedicated to the One I Love, released June 20, 2023. Her novel Things I Never Told You, book one in her Thatcher Sisters Series by Tyndale House Publishers, won the 2019 AWSA Golden Scroll Award for Contemporary Novel of the Year. An established magazine writer and former editor of the leadership magazine for MOPS International, Beth blogs for Learn How to Write a Novel and The Write Conversation and also enjoys speaking to writers group and mentoring other writers. She lives in Colorado with her husband Rob, who has adjusted to discussing the lives of imaginary people. Connect with Beth at BETHVOGT.COM.

No comments:

Post a Comment