Saturday, August 8, 2026

How to Rediscover the Joy of Writing When You Feel Discouraged

From Edie: Beth Vogt shares encouragement for writers feeling discouraged. Discover practical ways to rediscover the joy of writing, reconnect with your why, and find the motivation to keep going.


How to Rediscover the Joy of Writing When You Feel Discouraged
by Beth K. Vogt @BethVogt

Earlier this month, I chatted with another writer, who shared a disappointment with me. A frustration. A concern.

I can hear you thinking, “Pick a word already, Beth.” 

Each of these words apply to what my writer-friend shared. What was she so disappointed, frustrated, and concerned about? 

Other writers. 

One specific thing she said stayed with me: It seems all the joy has gone out of their [writing] experience. 

That, my friends, is a stop-me-in-my tracks writers’ problem. 

We can discuss specifics such as how to discover the value for your readers in your non-fiction book. How to layer in emotion in your novel. How to write engaging back cover copy (BCC). But if you’re working to up your game as a writer, and all the while you’re dreading it, something is very, very wrong. 

You need to ignore all the things on your writer To Do list, step away from your laptop, and restore your joy.

Before you ask me, “How do I do that?” let me ask you a question: Why are you writing?

If you go all the way back to the beginning of your writing journey, before you ever walked into a writers conference or pitched your book or landed a contract or entered a contest – let’s not talk about whether you won or lost – or earned a review or were handed a deadline, you had a why. 

Why did you start writing? 

I imagine love was involved. You love to read and that spilled over to putting words on the page. Or you love stories and wanted to share a “Once upon a time” story of your own. (Even non-fiction is a form of “Once upon a time.”) You hoped your story would inspire others. Make them laugh. Cry. Rediscover hope. Be brave. Believe God is approachable.

Here’s the kicker: Writing and publishing? Those are two very different things. The demands of pursuing publication can strangle your joy.

What do you do when the joy is gone? Do you quit? (There’s no quitting if you’re on deadline.) 

I’ll be honest with you. There have been seasons of discouragement that have smothered my joy, and I’ve thought, “Why don’t I just quit?” 

My answer has always been, “No. No quitting.” Even more than that, when I’ve prayed and asked God what He wanted me to do, He’s clearly said, “Keep going.” 

Did the joy immediately reappear? No. But I listened to God, not my doubt, faced forward, and kept writing. 

How do you reset your heart and rediscover your joy? Ask yourself a few questions.

Questions for Writers to Ask Themselves

1. When was writing more fun? _________________________________

2. What are the top 3 things stealing your joy from your writing life? ___________________________________

3. What brings you joy? ______________________________________

Look back at questions #2 and #3. How can you delete one thing stealing your joy as a writer and add one thing back in that brings you joy? One example: If one of the things stealing your joy is your writers group, that doesn’t mean you have to quit the group. Analyze what’s not working. (Maybe it’s the lack of time management. Maybe it’s the format.) Consider how to change the group’s dynamic.

Here’s the most important question, my friends: If the joy has gone out of your writing experience, what are you going to do about it? Might I suggest you start with talking to God about it?

TWEETABLE

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” She’s authored 15 novels and novellas, both contemporary romance and women’s fiction. Beth is a Christy Award winner, an ACFW Carol Award winner, and a  RITA® finalist. Her newest contemporary romance novel, Dedicated to the One I Love, released June 20, 2023. Her novel Things I Never Told You, book one in her Thatcher Sisters Series by Tyndale House Publishers, won the 2019 AWSA Golden Scroll Award for Contemporary Novel of the Year. An established magazine writer and former editor of the leadership magazine for MOPS International, Beth blogs for Learn How to Write a Novel and The Write Conversation and also enjoys speaking to writers group and mentoring other writers. She lives in Colorado with her husband Rob, who has adjusted to discussing the lives of imaginary people. Connect with Beth at BETHVOGT.COM.

No comments:

Post a Comment