Monday, August 12, 2024

Why and How Writers Should Stay Plugged Into Community


by Larry J. Leech II
@LarryJLeechII

When I wrote this blog, I sat by myself in the local Starbucks where all the baristas know me as a regular. But few know what I do for a living. And that’s okay. Although great people, they are not my community. I simply go to the branch office to ‘work.’ 

Most days that entails going off in my own little world to edit or write. But doing so day after day is not good for me. I need connections, community. 

Back in the day, yes, I am old enough to remember those days, being connected with other writers took a lot more work. Phone calls, snail mail, and in-person conferences were our only options. 

Today, the choices are many—email, direct messaging on numerous social media accounts, video chat, online writers’ groups, in-person writers’ groups, and perhaps an accountability partner. There are probably a few I’ve forgotten or haven’t used. 

I need my writer friends, my church friends, my recovery friends. Each community helps keep me focused and grounded in every aspect of my life. We were made for community. Hebrews 10:24–25 (NLT) says, “Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.”

God knew we would function better if we were in community with others—church, building a house, writing, organizing and hosting a conference, recovery, anything. We need each other—in all that we do.

Over the years, these three practices have helped me keep in touch with my communities.

3 Ways to Stay Connected with Other Writers

One, make an effort to stay connected. I used to wait for others to reach out to me. Now, when someone comes to mind, I take a moment to type out a quick email or text. 

Two, find a writers’ group or an accountability partner. I’ve belonged to three groups since 2001. I’ve said and written this numerous times over the years: I wouldn’t be the writer I am today without my writers’ group even though I was near the tail end of a 23-year journalism career when I joined my first group. The group I’m in now tries to meet once a week. Whether we meet or not, we stay in touch via our group text, and not just about writing concerns or questions. We often send out prayer requests. Being an accountability partner, or having one, doesn’t take up much time. When I’m an accountability partner, I ask the person to send me a word count on Friday for their effort that week. That’s it. No critiques. No feedback. Just a word count to ensure some kind of progress.

Three, while you work on a project, ask a handful of people to pray for you. If the prayer needs change, don’t hesitate to alert them. When prayers are answered, update the group as well. Intercessors love to know when their efforts bear fruit.

These things have helped me over the years. Maybe they’ll help you as well, so you don’t have to trudge along all by yourself. If you have things that have helped you, I’d love to hear about them.

TWEETABLE

Editor-in-Chief at Bold Vision Books and writing coach of award-winning authors, Larry J. Leech II has spent more than forty years writing and editing. He started his career as a sportswriter in southwestern Pennsylvania where he covered prep, college, and pro sports, including the Pittsburgh Pirates and Steelers. 

In 2004, after 2,300 published articles, Larry moved into the book publishing industry. Since that time, he has ghostwritten 30 books, edited more than 400 manuscripts, and coached hundreds of authors through the writing and publication process. You can find him online on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

3 comments:

  1. Larry,

    Every writer needs to be connected to others and you have some great wisdom and experiences in this well-done article. Thank you. I'm with you in when someone comes to mind, I reach out to them--often several different people every day. It keeps me connected and in touch with many people.

    Terry
    author of Book Proposals That $ell, 21 Secrets To Speed Your Success (Revised Edition) [Follow the Link for a FREE copy]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice, Larry. Although writing is a solitary endeavor, the writer's life shouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete