Saturday, August 31, 2024

How a Writer Can Discern Between Failure and Fruit


By Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Through the years, I had the opportunity to hear about other authors’ journeys to publication. 

As we compared routes, I noticed many similarities to my own. Most were like mine—not a direct route—but a circuitous trip full of bumps and detours. Frequently a writer's path is littered with broken dreams and shattered expectations.

In the early years of my writing journey, I would have called them failures.

As I listened, I reflected on those instances in my life that I'd always labeled as failures and shortcomings. Now, in the light of the successes those detours brought, I recognized them as opportunities from God to grow and learn.
  • Those times of waiting had become patience.
  • The weeks—and sometimes months of—frustration had become discipline.
  • The heart-breaking rejections became joy.
All those difficult circumstances had been used by God to teach me things I lacked, as well as giving me compassion for others on similar journeys.

Somewhere along the way, God used the seeds of failure to grow fruit in my life.

Today I challenge you to look at those things you’ve labeled failure, and notice the fruit that’s now begun to grow.

I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5 ESV)

Let Me Pray for You
Dear Lord, thank You for this gift of writing, and always walking with us, inspiring and encouraging us. We're so grateful for the fact You love us enough to give us these opportunities for growth and success. Help us to look to You for the measure of a job well done. Don't let us fall into the snare of using worldly standards to judge our spiritual path. 

Remind us that the plans You have for each of us are unique and created to bless. You love us too much to leave us as we are. We know the struggles we experience are sifted through Your loving hands. Give us joy as we serve You obediently. Amen.

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives.Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, X (formally Twitter) and on Instagram.

4 comments:

  1. You always share an encouraging message Ms. Edie. Thank you. I learned long ago to treat the word "fail" as an acrostic, standing for "First Attempt Is Learning." When I approach my failures with an attitude of, "what can I learn from this attempt?", I find something that I can put in my "writer's toolbox" for my next effort. Good word, ma'am. God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chriswells.grace@gmail.comAugust 31, 2024 at 9:52 AM

    Edie, thank you for always pointing us towards reality in the nicest possible way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a scientist before I became a stay-at-home mother and a failed experiment simply meant I had to go question my premise. Perhaps I was asking a question the expt. couldn't answer. I probably learned more from my failed experiments than the ones that merely confirmed my hypotheses. I dug deeper and deeper when I failed. Somehow, the word "fail" hasn't had a negative connotation and I've brought that to my writing. As a Christian, I see God's wisdom in all my failures. Thank you for a lovely post and your prayer. God is so good, all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words spoken with candor and the voice of experience. These are especially encouraging to me in my journey today as I get ready to publish my first book. I am still in the throes of the Failure/Fruit equation but God has done so much already that things like this article continue to remind me of the fruit He is creating.

    ReplyDelete