Saturday, June 8, 2024

Two Reasons Not to Use AI to Write Your Novels


by Beth K. Vogt @BethVogt

“Creativity is the way I share my soul with the world.” 
Brené Brown (1965-), American professor and author

I’m not a fan of Artificial Intelligence (AI). 

Whew! It feels good to say that right up front. 

To be more specific, I’m not a fan of AI when it comes to writing my novels. 

I’ve heard lots of reasons why AI is beneficial to writers for brainstorming, researching, writing back cover copy. I’ve listened in on both virtual and face-to-face conversations where other writers touted the advantages of AI.

Who ya gonna call when you need help? 

AI.

Not this writer. 

May I remind you what those two letters stand for? Artificial Intelligence. 

Artificial: made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, especially as a copy of something natural. Synonyms: false, simulated, affected. 

Artificial Intelligence is the “simulation of human intelligence processes by machines, especially computer systems.” (Emphasis mine.)

Yes, I googled that definition from techtarget.com, and Google is a form of AI. Call me out, if you will. But it’s one thing to google a definition for a blog post and another thing to have AI brainstorm my novel’s scene for me.

I’ve pondered the issue. A lot. I’ve prayed. A lot. 

AI is not for me—or rather, I’m not for AI.

Why, you ask?

Two Reasons.

Reason #1

Writing, first and foremost, is an act of creativity. Yes, writing takes discipline. It’s a craft you learn and improve on and given time and effort, excel at. But writing requires inspiration and imagination.

AI is not creative because creativity involves the use of imagination and original ideas. AI doesn’t have an imagination. And there’s nothing original about AI. (Doublecheck the previous definitions.)

When I’m working on a new novel idea, I love brainstorming with other writers—other creatives. I toss ideas back and forth with another writer or my mentor or my craft group until things start to gel: my characters, my plot; my Inciting Incident. (I also loved this brainstorming process when I wrote non-fiction.)

But Beth, you say, you can enter questions into ChatGPT and get ideas for your book that can prompt your creativity.

Yes, yes, I can. Read on.

Reason #2

ChatGPT—AI—doesn’t know me. ChatGPT doesn’t know my writing voice. There’s no relationship between me and AI. 

When I brainstorm with another writer, that writer’s creativity and inspiration connect with my creativity and inspiration. This can never happen with a computer program because a computer is a machine—there’s no heart, no soul to connect to. True connection is about relationship, about understanding not only the writing process, but each other. 

AI may be faster than the tried-and-true way of tossing ideas back and forth with other writers, of praying and mulling and as we untangle a scene, but I’m okay with that. Sometimes slower is better. Ideas take time. 

Writing is a process, not a sprint to some artificially enhanced finish line.

TWEETABLE

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” She’s authored 15 novels and novellas, both contemporary romance and women’s fiction. Beth is a Christy Award winner, an ACFW Carol Award winner, and a  RITA® finalist. Her newest contemporary romance novel, Dedicated to the One I Love, released June 20, 2023. Her novel Things I Never Told You, book one in her Thatcher Sisters Series by Tyndale House Publishers, won the 2019 AWSA Golden Scroll Award for Contemporary Novel of the Year. An established magazine writer and former editor of the leadership magazine for MOPS International, Beth blogs for Learn How to Write a Novel and The Write Conversation and also enjoys speaking to writers group and mentoring other writers. She lives in Colorado with her husband Rob, who has adjusted to discussing the lives of imaginary people. Connect with Beth at bethvogt.com.

32 comments:

  1. Amen Ms. Beth! Well said ma'am. Artificial intelligence may have some benefit, data mining or looking for patterns that might be missed by humans, and yes, maybe providing a summary of a long document or manuscript. What it will NEVER be able to do is replace the human mind. It has not creativity, it merely executes what it is programmed to do, it works the way it is told to work. For all the machine-learning pundits out there, ML may improve its algorithms and refine its execution, but it does not get smarter. AI has not actual intelligence, rather it is the borrowed intelligence of the data scientists and others who manipulate a tool. In case you can't tell, I'm not a big fan of AI either. I fear it is only making generations of people lazier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, J.D. I agree A.I. may have some benefit -- as I said, I use Google, and you mentioned others in your comment -- but I also agree with your assesment that AI is making people lazier. Creativity requires that we think, and thinking -- imagination -- is, at the core, work. Mental work.

      Delete
  2. I would add that I write in obedience to the call of God. I pray over my words, praying that the Spirit would guide me and let my writing be for His purpose. I can’t think of anything further from that than AI. Thank you for validating my squeamish feelings regarding using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Like you, I pray over my words too and I often pray with others when we're working together. Obviously, I can't invite AI to pray with me before I "ask" it to brainstorm a scene or write back cover copy for me.

      Delete
  3. A palm-stinging high-five, Beth! I haven't liked AI from the moment I began to see "art" produced by AI. Technically beautiful but without soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! The AI art lacks soul. It's robotic. Imagine that.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for an enlightening article

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts on AI. I've been pondering this for months.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Good morning, Cynthia. I know writers on different sides of this issue ... and I know AI is a part of the publishing industry. But I also know where I stand.

      Delete
  6. Totally agree with you, 100%. It’s bothered me why authors would do this rather than use the gifting and talent God gave them to write. It feels like taking the lazy and easy way out of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I can understand the appeal of AI. Writing is hard work. Deadlines are demanding. AI helps writers get an edge, right?

      Delete
  7. Just after reading this blog, I went to Allen Arnold's blog. This month, he's sharing passages from his newest book "Risk the Real." I thought a quote from today's passage went along so well with your blog post.

    "What we create with God is a spiritual act of defiance that actively moves against the ways of the world. It doesn’t seek the path of least resistance but swims opposite the current cultural downward flow."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, Allen Arnold spoke at my local ACFW group on this very topic using his book "Risk the Real." It was such an enlightening, encouraging talk. His insight helped settle my thoughts on AI even more.

      Delete
  8. Beth, one other reason is the fact that certain things generated by other AI aren’t able to be copyrighted! Only creations from real people are covered by our current copyright law :) Blessings, E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edie, I had no idea about the copyright and how it affects AI. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  9. The use of AI in writing is new to me. I do whole heartily agree with you. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lill, I think AI is catching us all on the run in some ways. It's developing so quickly in so many areas of our lives. As an author, I'm trying to stay on top of things by reading blog posts and news articles.

      Delete
    2. Like you, Beth, I am very suspicious of AI. Frankly, I believe it has its roots in the demonic and is being used for Satanic purposes. My spirit is very troubled by it. Thank you for taking a stand against it. I stand with you.

      Delete
  10. Like you, Beth, I am very suspicious of AI. Frankly, I believe it has its roots in the demonic and is being used for Satanic purposes. My spirit is very troubled by it. Thank you for taking a stand against it. I stand with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, MaryAnn, I understand why you are troubled by AI. It definitely smothers the creative spirit, which I believe is one of the most beautiful ways we reflect God image to the world.

      Delete
  11. Can we shout that from the mountaintops? Add a threefold AMEN to that. God called us to write not AI. Thank you, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DiAnn, let's consider how many years ... how many decades ... how many generations ... authors wrote without AI. Would any of the classics be improved upon with AI? I think not.

      Delete
  12. Agreeing heartily with you Beth; God is truly at the heart of our own creativity. The thing about it is that we have to wrestle with the ideas to get to the heart of things. And it takes time. Having a machine spit out something bypasses the process, even if what it gives you is something you can use. The way we make connections between disparate images to make something beautiful and whole, a machine could never. I dislike the term AI because there's nothing intelligent--it's all algorithm. Thank you, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I agree with you, Vijaya! Writing is a beautiful process ... and I love the process. Admittedly, it can be a grueling process, but wrestling through the process is so satisfying. Even research, which AI can do, is more beneficial when done with a person or persons. It's so fun to connect with a librarian or an expert who has the knowledge I need for my book -- to make that personal connection and hear stories that deepen my understanding. All of this is missed with AI.

      Delete
  13. Well said. Thank you for an articulate apologetic helping us to be better apprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim, for the encouragement. We each have to make our own decisions about AI, thoughtfully and prayerfully.

      Delete
  14. I can't listen to AI and God at the same time in order to discern what God wants me to share with readers. I doubt they would agree with each other even if AI could hear. And we know AI can't hear God's voice. As for me and what I write, I choose God's guidance and the words He gives me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen, I agree with you about being discerning who -- or in this case, what -- we listen to. And there is no spiritual connection within AI.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In addition to your insightful articles and the comments that followed, I'd like to add that writing changes me. It refines my thoughts and leads me to a better understanding of myself and the world. AI can't do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I so appreciate your comment. Yes, writing changes me too -- and I believe others would agree with you. The in-depth kind of writing that involves our imaginations, our hearts, our souls -- that is truly creative.

      Delete
  17. I've been expressing my concerns about AI also! It is shocking those who think Artificial Intelligence is a good source. Well said, Beth Vogt!

    ReplyDelete