Monday, June 17, 2024

How Authors Can Extend Their Reach for More Marketing


by Karen Whiting @KarenHWhiting

Writing brings intrinsic and extrinsic benefits. Internally we increase our empathy as we write stories whether true or fiction, we increase our creativity, and learn to harness and organize our thoughts. Externally we develop friendships, extend our reach from people we know to readers who can be anywhere in the world. We develop stronger communication skills to better share our thoughts and impart wisdom, joy, and biblical insights to others. External benefits over which we have no control bless us such as trips to speak, getting to know famous people, and opportunities to share what God puts on our hearts.

These benefits often lead to marketing opportunities. I was recently chosen by the Ministry of Tourism of Israel to be one of four journalists who will soon go on a trip to Israel. Free trips are great, but this came because of developing relationships in the industry. I had to show that I had commitments to write for one or more publications with audiences of 50k of more. I quickly had commitments for several articles (I wanted to be on the top of the applicants). This will add to the depth of a book on archeology I contracted with Tyndale Kids. And today I mentioned the trip on an interview, where my bio included the 2026 release. The host asked me to return to discuss biblical archeology.

Extend Your Reach
  • Critique Groups
The people in your critique groups become cheerleaders and support you. They may be tough at times to make you a better writer, but that helps you. They can often become part of your launch team and give you leads for where to submit your work. Some of my first strong writing friends came from my critique groups. They still mean so much to me although several have moved on to heaven.
  • Friendships
We make friends all the time through writing with other writers as well as readers, editors, media people, and professionals in publishing. It's amazing how the connections can open doors. In February a friend mentioned a mom organization she joined where she is now a mentor mom. I contacted them and I'm a trainer mom for them. While at the organization's conference recently I spoke with so many wonderful women and made connections I'll build. Some have podcasts and want me on. For others, I am connecting them to media hosts and other possibilities. This story is one of hundreds I could share. 

Through friends who connected me with editors, media hosts, and magazine editors I have received book contracts opportunities to write articles, and interviews. These types of opportunities never stop. And I never stop sharing connections.
  • Articles
Once you have an article published, email your appreciation to the editor with a comment about something you liked, such as the layout, placement, an editorial tweak, or simply your pleasure at seeing it in their magazine (and why you wanted to be in it. Then, pitch a few new ideas you could write. This simple step develops the relationship and opens the door for future opportunities. 

I wrote an article last year for an editor I was not sure I could please but he thanked me and asked me to let him know if I had other ideas that could fit. A few months later I pitched something else. A few months after that he came back and asked for something related to my pitch but not exactly the pitch and I am writing it now. Recently we chatted and got to know one another better.
  • Publicists and Others in the Industry
A publicist my publisher hired became a friend and helped me in many ways to understand how to connect and get booked. I hired him a few times also for special events and when I did not have time to pitch myself. He opened doors to getting on TV shows.

My agent and the agency made great connections for me and introduced me to their clients. Some of the clients were huge names that I never expected to meet. Others became comrades who journeyed beside me as we continued writing. They also added to my contacts and grew my network.

Even photographers, copyeditors, and others have share knowledge and even connections. A new friend who is a photographer taught me a lot about thinking of the possible images as I write a story and how to capture a shot if I need to be the photographer. This new friend sent me an email even as I started writing this post. I am connecting him to be at a conference later this year.
  • Readers 
Readers are your grassroots followers who can share with other readers. Be good to them! Bless them with special news first, respond when they post, and pray for them.
  • Making the Most of Your Reach
To make the most of your connections, pray for them, be sure to show appreciation, exchange books at times, send thanks, follow them on social media, and stay in touch. Share your connections that can help them and be thankful when they share connections. If they are on media, listen in, post a comment, and later ask if they will share their connection if it might be a good fit.

Every person we meet is someone important to God and many may become part of our network. Take time to listen and get to know people you encounter.

TWEETABLE

Karen Whiting (WWW.KARENWHITING.COM) is an international speaker, former television host of Puppets on Parade, certified writing and marketing coach, and award-winning author of twenty-seven books for women, children, and families. Her newest book, The Gift of Bread: Recipes for the Heart and the Table reflects her passion for bread and growing up helping at her grandparent’s restaurant. Check out her newest book Growing a Mother’s Heart: Devotions of Faith, Hope, and Love from Mothers Past, Present, and Future. It's full of heartwarming and teary-eyed stories of moms.

Karen has a heart to grow tomorrow’s wholesome families today. She has written more than eight hundred articles for more than sixty publications and loves to let creativity splash over the pages of what she writes. She writes for Crosswalk. Connect with Karen on Twitter @KarenHWhiting Pinterest KarenWhiting FB KarenHWhiting.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the excellent advice & examples, Karen. Appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following your Israel journey on social media, Karen. Looks like you're learning a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I did learn a lot and am using it for articles and my kid's book on archeology with Tyndale (sprng 2026). Glad you are enjoying the photos.

      Delete
  3. Karen,

    Thank you for these examples and details about how you are building relationships in the community--a path every author can do. How remarkable about the details of your trip to Israel.

    Terry
    author of Book Proposals That $ell, 21 Secrets To Speed Your Success (Revised Edition) [Follow the Link for a FREE copy]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved going to Israel. To go with the Ministry of Tourism was a dream come true-a blessing from God. And it was the perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete