Sunday, April 28, 2024

Take Heart, After a Writing Winter Spring DOES Come


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Sometimes we have a difficult writing winter. That’s what I call a season of writing discouragement. When that happens, it can mimic a hard winter season. 

The following is what I experienced one spring, following a difficult winter. 

There were a lot of dreary days and very little sun. The ground was still boggy with sticky mud and gray has been the color du jour for so long it seemed normal. 

But as I glanced out the window one morning, a glint of yellow caught my eye. Sure enough the jonquils were emerging. They’d pushed their strong green stalks sunward and have begun to bloom. 

After winter comes spring.

If ever there was a year I needed that reminder that was it. 

As I examined these harbingers of change, I saw some things, some different insights I’d never taken note of before.

1) in spite of being surrounded by mud, they were as fresh and clean as if they’d been raised in a greenhouse.

2) They were flourishing that year, not in spite of their surroundings, but because of them. The dreary wet mess of winter brought their beauty to a crescendo much more effectively than an easy winter would have.

3) Finally, I realized they began their reach toward the sun in the midst of the winter’s hardship. 

Even as I wrote my observations, I felt God’s truth soaking into my soul regarding my own hard winter with writing. 

Those observations hold true for you as well as me.

1) God is the God of new beginnings. And His new start is always clean and fresh no matter what we’ve emerged from.

2) What we’ve experienced will always be with us. However, we’re all going to come through the difficulties stronger and with blessings and insights that carry us forward.

3) I’ve been reminded that moving on after difficulty doesn’t happen all of a sudden. There are tiny steps we’ve taken that have propelled us to that place. That year I didn’t remember moving, but in the dark we don’t always notice the progress.

So if you’ve experienced a long writing winter, take heart, after winter comes spring.

Blessings,
Edie Melson

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives. Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Featured Image provided by Edie Melson Photography

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this, Edie. It can be hard to see beyond the mud of a winter season, so your reminder of the beauty to come is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete