Monday, April 8, 2024

Every Writer Can Benefit From a Personal Publishing Plan


by Larry J. Leech II @LarryJLeechII

One sunny day I sat on my couch and decided to take a trip. I figured I would just jump into my vehicle, head out onto the highway, and see where I might end up. 

After hours and hours of driving, ignoring road signs, and ultimately in need of gas, I had no clue where I was or how I got there. What I thought would be a good idea of taking a trip without any planning became a nightmare that I hope to never repeat. 

And the same applies to writing. 

Embarking on what could be a wonderful writing journey without a plan certainly will lead to disaster. Even if planning is not your forte, I highly recommend you put together a plan that will help you stay on course. Or let something slip through the cracks.

If you haven’t discovered by now, writing is a business. And every successful business needs a plan. Every writer’s plan will be different. 

In my years of writing, editing, coaching, teaching, I have learned being a juggler is important. Like others, my “to do” every day is long, and I’m constantly juggling multiple projects and deadlines at one time.

For you, your list may look something like this:

  • Start or update a social media account
  • Or two 
  • Or three
  • Start or update your blog
  • Create or update your website
  • Update a one sheet
  • Update a book proposal
  • Make minor revisions in your manuscript
  • Make major rewrites in your manuscript
  • Throw away manuscript and start over
  • Find a writing coach
  • Find an accountability partner
  • Find a writing group
  • Bang head … on desk
  • Cry while banging head
  • Take Tylenol for headache
  • Take a nap
  • Wake up and go through list again

Wow, that’s a lot and may not be everything you need to do. Trying to handle all this without a plan will cause frustration, doubts, and likely some head banging. 

So, quickly before this blog gets too long, let’s break down one “to do” into smaller chunks. Let’s go with “make minor revisions in your manuscript.” 

In doing so, you probably will need to:

  • Check for passive verbs
  • Check for overuse of exclamation marks
  • Ensure subject-verbs tenses match
  • Ensure all dialogue and special words have beginning and ending quote marks
  • Check that the beginning of each chapter draws in the reader
  • Check that the end of each chapter makes the reader want to turn the page
  • Check for progressive tense
  • Check for unnecessary words / qualifiers
  • Rewrite clunky or unclear sentences
  • Review my Terrible 30
That’s not an exhaustive list. You might have other issues to address, based on feedback from an editor, agent, accountability partner, or critique group. For each item on your list, assign a deadline. For instance, if your goal is to have the entire list completed by the end of April, you could assign a deadline of April 9 for “check for passive verbs” and “check for overuse of exclamation points.” Assign a makeable deadline for each to make your final deadline. Trying to get through this list in the week before your end-of-the-month deadline probably will drain your creativity and cause a lot of clinched fists and gritted teeth.

While you work through your “to do” list, you probably will work on other items that need done—update a website or social media, for example. For each item on your list, break it down in the fashion I explained for making revisions. The lists and deadlines will help you stay on course of what can be an exciting writing journey.

Oh, if you wondered how I returned safely from my disaster of a trip, don’t worry, no other drivers or animals were harmed in my fictitious adventure. All that took place in my head. I am a writer, you know!

TWEETABLE

Editor-in-Chief at Bold Vision Books and writing coach of award-winning authors, Larry J. Leech II has spent more than forty years writing and editing. He started his career as a sportswriter in southwestern Pennsylvania where he covered prep, college, and pro sports, including the Pittsburgh Pirates and Steelers. 

In 2004, after 2,300 published articles, Larry moved into the book publishing industry. Since that time, he has ghostwritten 30 books, edited more than 400 manuscripts, and coached hundreds of authors through the writing and publication process. You can find him online on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes! Thank you for these great reminders. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Melissa! I hope something in here will help.

    ReplyDelete