Sunday, March 24, 2024

12 Bible Verses to Pray Over Your Writing


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

One of my only non-negotiable rules for my own writing is this:

Pray first. 

Before my fingers hit the keyboard or pick up a pen, I try to remember to always take time to talk to God. I admit, there are times when I get in a hurry, or when I forget. But I always try to stop and pray as soon as I realize my mistake. 

The reason is simple. I don’t want to be someone who writes for God. I want to write with God. I’m not claiming that my writing is inspired and should be elevated in any way. Never! 

What I am acknowledging is the fact that without God in control and guiding my fingers and/or pen—the words I write are just that. They are nothing more than words on paper. But with God, those words have the ability to accomplish great things—God-sized things. God knows who needs the words He’s given me and when they need them. 

This acknowledgement that God is in control also frees me from so much of the anxiety I feel when I try to control who reads my words and when they are read. 

So these are just some of the verses I go to when I’m praying for my writing, for those who read what I write, and for those who are involved in publishing what I write. I hope they bless you as God has blessed me through them.

A Dozen Verses to Pray Before Writing

1. Praying that I won’t doubt my calling or give in to the lie that I’ve squandered my one chance.
for God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable. Romans 11:29 (NIV)

2. Praying for those who read my words and those who are publishing my words.
First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men. I Timothy 2:1 (NASB)

3. Praying for a joyful heart as I write, edit, and wait for the plans God has. 
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12 (NIV)

4. Praying for God to open doors for the words I write.
So I say to you, Ask and keep on asking and it shall be given you; seek and keep on seeking and you shall find; knock and keep on knocking and the door shall be opened to you. Luke 11:9 (Amplified Bible)

5. Praying for God to protect me from myself. My own cruel words can often be the biggest stumbling block I face. 
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? Jeremiah 17:9 (ESV)

6. Praying for God to bring those who will come alongside me for editing, encouragement, and prayer.
And I searched for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the gap before Me for the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found no one. Ezekiel 22:30 (NASB)

7. Praying for God to protect me from those who would discourage me, accuse me, or speak unkindly. 
But in that coming day no weapon turned against you will succeed. You will silence every voice raised up to accuse you. These benefits are enjoyed by the servants of the LORD; their vindication will come from me. I, the LORD, have spoken! Isaiah 54:17 (NLT)

8. Praying for God to show me anything that stands in the way of hearing from Him and accomplishing His purpose through the words I’m writing. 
Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. James 5:16 (NASB)

9. Praying for patience, as I wait for the plans God has for my writing to unfold in His time.
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. Ephesians 2:10 (NASB)

10. Praying for my stamina and strength to grow, and for me not to become discouraged.
But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary of doing good. II Thessalonians 3:13 (NASB)

11. Praying for everything I write to be based in God’s truth, and that God will use my words to glorify Him and bring others to Him. 
This is good and acceptable in the sight of God, our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. I Timothy 2:3 - 4 (NASB)

12. Praying for God to use my words in ways beyond what I can hope or imagine. 
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,Ephesians 3:20 (ESV)

These are just a few of the verses I use when I’m praying over my writing. I’d love for you to share which verses you go to when you’re praying for your writing. Be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments section below. 

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings, 
Edie

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through her camera lens. She’s a writer who feels lost without that device & an unexpected speaker who loves to encourage an audience. She also embraces the ultimate contradiction of being an organized creative. She knows the necessity of Soul Care and leads retreats, conferences & workshops around the world on staying connected to God. Her numerous books, including the award-winning Soul Careseries & reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts. Her blog, The Write Conversation is recognized as one of the top 101 industry resources. 

She and husband Kirk have been married 42+ years and raised three sons. They live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and can often be found hiking—with Edie clinging to the edge of a precipice for the perfect camera angle and Kirk patiently carrying her camera bag and tripod. Connect with her on her website, www.EdieMelson.com and through social media.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for these beautiful prayers. I am a prayer person and I plan on printing these out. I feel so encouraged. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete