Saturday, February 17, 2024

Discover the Joy of SINGLE-Tasking When You Write


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

I don’t know about you, but my life just keeps getting busier and busier. And for most of two decades I’ve heard the phrase multi-task. I’ve taken courses and read blogs on how multi-tasking is what leaders do, why multi-tasking is the key to productivity, how to multi-task more effectively, and how to choose which things to multi-task—among just a few. Sometimes I feel like I’m being encouraged to multi-task, multi-tasking. 

It’s exhausting.

Even more than that, I don’t think it has helped make my life better. All I feel is more exhausted. 

In my opinion, multi-tasking is the invention of someone who want to set the civilized world on a path to permanent destruction. (I know, “Tell us what you really thing, Edie!”)

By the end of last year, I made a promise to myself. I would slow down and learn to enjoy life more. I wanted to be more in tune with the moment, instead of looking to my finished to-do list for satisfaction. 

So I’m learning to embrace the joy of single-tasking, in all things and in all ways, including my writing. 

What does it mean to single-task? Truthfully, I’m still discovering the depth and breadth of this endeavor. 

Several Things I’ve Learned About Single-tasking

1. Single-tasking as a writer means I clear away distractions. 
  • I’ve cleared the clutter from my work space.
  • I’ve turned off the internet. 
  • I’m forcing myself to close all the extra windows I’ve got open on my computer. 
  • Sometimes I even shut my computer, take out pen and paper and record my thoughts by writing. 

2. Single-tasking means I take time to enjoy the process. 
  • I have a few things in my workspace that bring me joy and inspire me. 
    • A piece of art work done for me by a friend
    • A framed photo my daddy took
    • My favorite fountain pen and ink on display
  • I make my writing a priority by scheduling time in my day/week to write. Although I’ve done this for several years, this is a vital part of single-tasking. By putting it down in my calendar I’m telling myself and others that this is important. 
  • I explore new/favorite places to write. Sometimes that means sitting on my screened porch, listening to the birds while I pour words on the page. At other times, I enjoy a cup of coffee or tea in my favorite coffee shop while I work. 

Single-tasking means I choose my projects with care. 
  • I’ve learned to say “yes” with careful prayer and consideration. I want to choose projects that I’m passionate about. Does this mean I only write certain topics? Not always. Being passionate about a project can mean the topic or the fact that I’m learning something new. 
  • I stopped agreeing to do things out of guilt.
  • I stopped agreeing to do things out of necessity. Did you know that seeing a need doesn’t mean I’m obligated to meet that need? That truth was a huge burden-lifter. 
  • I stopped agreeing to do things out of my need to fulfill someone else’s expectations. 

Single-tasking means I spend time filling up the creative well inside me. 
  • For me, the most important part of this means I spend daily time reading God’s Word and praying.
  • I also spend time doing other creative things that inspire me. As many of you know, I’m also a professional landscape photographer. Getting out with my camera inspires me—photographically—as well as in my literary endeavors. 
  • I take time to enjoy the creativity of others. 
    • I read books from authors I love
    • I go to movies and plays
    • I visit art galleries and gardens
    • I even enjoy television
    • I hike and enjoy new places

These are just some of the ways I’ve begun practicing the art of single-tasking as a writer. I’d love for you to share your thoughts and tips in the comments section below. 

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings, 
Edie

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. She’s learned to embrace the ultimate contradiction of being an organized creative. As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives, often using creativity to empower this connection. The Write Conversation, the blog she developed and manages, reaches thousands and has been on the Writer’s Digest Top 101 Sites for Writers since 2017. As a social media and blogging expert she’s worked with clients that range from authors and speakers to business and ministry leaders. She also knows the necessity of Soul Care and leads retreats, conferences & workshops around the world on staying connected to God. Her numerous books, including the award-winning Soul Care series reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts. She’s the director of the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference and board member of the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association.

She and husband Kirk have been married 42+ years, and live near their three sons and three grandchildren in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Edie and Kirk can often be found with their big black dog hiking—Edie hanging off ledges for the best camera angle and Kirk patiently carrying her tripod. Connect with her on her website, www.EdieMelson.com and through social media.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for addressing this critical topic, Edie. To my knowledge, recent studies show that multi-tasking is actually harmful to the brain.

    I liken multi-tasking to what the Bible calls double-mindedness, a practice which Scripture condemns.

    You are right. Let's live in the moment. Doing so is living in eternal time. It is living in the NOW.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a hard-learned lesson for me, but so SO valuable! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Edie, I’m right there with you. I’m striving for peace - not chaos- in my writing life and personal life. One thing I’ve learned is to allow others who want to help to help, to let go of my control of some things as well as to let go of some things altogether. I’m making more space in my morning to spend “quality” time in the Word, and more time in the evening to relax with a book I enjoy. I find pockets of time to work on quilts (a new-ish hobby) which fills my creativity tank rather than drain it, so I can be more productive during my writing time. Multi-tasking has damaged my brain! Blessing to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. That was me. Didn’t mean to post anonymously. :)

      Delete
    2. Karen, I think we've all been injured by this I-Have-To-Do-It-All mentality! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. I LOVE these. Multi-tasking can be exhausting and drains me from creativity. I can feel like my brain is disjointed and going in too many directions. Thanks for sharing these, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this honest and powerful post! Multitasking adds to our stress, and there is nothing good about that! When the pandemic forced us to pause, I learned that slowing down was beneficial for me in many ways. Since then, I have been more selective and discerning in my commitments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, that was definitely one of the silver linings from that time! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. This hits a nerve that has been raw in me for years. The moment is precious, too precious to waste being scattered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edie, great post! I like to think of early devotion time as "putting on your armor for the day."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. When I was working, I would hear people say I have five things to get done today before I go home. They would scramble around and by the end of the day they were scratching their head saying well I didn’t get much done. I only finished this one task out of five.
    One task at a time produces more results with peace.

    ReplyDelete