Thursday, January 25, 2024

You’re Never Too Old to Write


by Henry McLaughlin @RiverBendSagas

My writing career began in my early forties when I had the brilliant idea I could write a novel. I’ve been a reader all my life. I think I was born reading a Batman comic book. I remember thinking, how hard could writing be? You just put one word after another, right?

So, I dabbled, as I call it, for about 10 years. I rewrote the first chapter probably 15 times. 

Then I got serious. I attended conferences. Read books and magazines on the craft. Joined writers groups. Signed up for the Christian Writers Guild online courses.

I made the time to learn the craft and to practice, practice, practice. Which is another word for revise, revise, revise. 

I entered my novel in a contest. Now with an entirely different first chapter. And I won the contest!! And my first novel was published when I was 63 years old.

I don’t share this to brag on myself. All I did was type words. God gave the inspiration and the ideas.

I share it to encourage those of you with graying hair and cranky bodies to continue to pursue your writing dreams. And turn the care of it over to God.

I recently attended a writers conference. I was amazed to see a great number of the attendees were my age or older. Many have been writing for years and are still seeking to publish their first book.

Don’t ignore small beginnings. Many writers started in some other forum before they looked to write a book. Some wrote church curriculum, some were journalists, other wrote short stories or poetry. Magazine articles and church newsletters were the route many took. Some, like me, jumped directly into writing novels because that was the burning desire in our hearts.

The Age When Some Authors Published Their First Book:

  • ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder was 65.
  • ~ Frank McCourt was 66 when he published his first book: Angela’s Ashes. And it won the Pulitzer Prize.
  • ~ Harriet Doerr published Stones of Ibarra when she was 54 and it won the National Book Award.
  • ~ Millard Kaufman, the creator of Mr. Magoo, didn’t publish his first novel, Bowl of Cherries, until he was 90.
  • ~ British author Mary Wesley published her first children’s book when she was 57 and her first adult novel when she was 71. 

So don’t let the date on your driver’s license frighten you. Ignore the gray-haired face in the mirror and the joints that aren’t as supple as they once were. Ignore the voices in your head that tell you you’re too old to start something new, especially to write. 

And sometimes these voices are outside your head in the guise of well-meaning friends and family. Ignore them too. And remind them that if they aren’t nice to you, you’ll put them in your book. And not necessarily in a good way. Anne Lamott is quoted as saying, “If my family didn’t want me to write about them, they should have been nicer to me.”

If you want to write, write. Learn the craft. Read about writing. Join writers groups. Attend conferences. Find a mentor.

At our ages, we have a wealth of stories to tell. Stories that will teach, enlighten, encourage, and entertain. Stories that will inspire and bring people closer to God and to what they are called to be. Our wisdom and insight can impact so many, they need to be shared. The world needs to hear our stories. It needs to hear your stories.

Let me close with this. Before my first novel was published, I asked a few friends and fellow writers to read the manuscript and give me feedback to help me make the story better.

One reader pointed out one scene and said, “Whatever you do, don’t take this out of the book. It brought me closer to God.”

In my heart, God said, “If your book never gets published, it still achieved my purpose. It brought her closer to me.”

Keep writing.

TWEETABLE

Henry’s debut novel, Journey to Riverbend, won the 2009 Operation First Novel contest.

Henry edits novels, leads critique groups, and teaches at conferences and workshops. He enjoys mentoring and coaching individual writers. 

Connect with Henry on his BLOG, TWITTER and FACEBOOK.

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for that encouragement. I needed those words this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto. I'm tearing up because I'm also 63. I reminded Jesus of that yesterday. Lol! I've been published in multiple Guideposts devotionals, but almost every morning, I say aloud, "I want to be a novelist." The Spirit has given me dozens of ideas, filling a hundred files on my computer. Multiple publishers have said I have the gift. But ... family issues, health troubles, a house tumbling around my ears, and other's needs fill my days. I write the devotions because there's a deadline and I love them. I've even taught novel writing to teens and young adults at conferences and through homeschool venues. I know it's all in God's timing, but I lament at the thought of never fulfilling His will. Because why would He fill my mind and heart with all these ideas and the encouragement of others if I wasn't meant to be a storyteller?

      Delete
    2. Oh, I hear you! Our sense of God's economy is that if a gift (a 'talent') is given, it needs to be invested. I believe this will be true for you. I have read minibiographies of artists and realize there are countless ways passionate creatives have found a way. I dearly hope, in God's good time, you find your way.

      Delete
  2. That’s my story as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your article. I fall into the category that I wrote for the men’s newsletter at my church, and I was a columnist for a Christian newspaper. I continue to write about God, but more importantly, I write with God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Henry, My first novel was published when I was 67, and my 12th comes out this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was 73 when my first novel was published and number 8 comes out this year. You are right. It's important to keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Henry. Your words, and the Spirit behind them, speak directly to my heart.
    "And remind them that if they aren’t nice to you, you’ll put them in your book," gives me a much-needed chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edie Melson once told me, "You have enough time to accomplish what God has called you to do." Why? Because He has already numbered our days. So I keep on being faithful as I can, writing daily, teaching as opportunities arise, and trust the Lord to use it all to build His kingdom. Whatever that looks like. Do Christians ever get to "retire"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was 69 when my first book released and I’d been writing for 30 plus years. So don’t give up! Number 17 releases next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice! I've just turned 80 and am working on my 8th historical Christian romance novel. My first novel was published at my AGE 74! God is so good. I give Him the glory and honor and also thank him for other writers like Edie Melson, Eddie Jones, and my current publisher at Wild Heart Books, Misty Beller, for their invaluable help along the way. My Writers Advice? NEVER give up, keep at the task, and keep learning how to write better! Hugs, Elva Cobb Martin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm 58 and feared I missed the boat. I'll persevere. Thanks for the encouraging blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for this encouraging word!

    ReplyDelete
  12. At 72, I’m writing my first novel while I watch a two year old rambunctious boy and rock his 4 month old sister. All because a good friend said, “Go to a writers conference. It will be fun,” he said . And there an agent said “sure like what you’re writing. Let’s work together.” Chapter by chapter, God is showing up. Soli Dei Gloria!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Henry, thank you for your inspiring article. I was 67 when I earned my MFA in Writing Popular Fiction in 2012. I was 69 when I published my first novel in 2014. Since then, by God's grace, I have published nine novels, three novellas, numerous short stories, ten children's books, and seven nonfiction books. To God belongs all the glory!

    Life progresses in phases. During the early phase of my adulthood, I pursued a career as a university professor of foreign languages. At the age of 30, God called me to write. While still teaching, I began by writing for magazines and had hundreds of articles published in major Christian and secular magazines. Then, later in life, I sensed God's call to write fiction.

    A sustaining Scripture verse for me has been Psalm 92: 14: "They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green . . . ."

    By God's grace, I am now 78 years old, and I am still "fresh and green" and "bearing fruit" for Jesus.

    To all of you older writer friends out there who are thinking of slowing down, I don't see retirement anywhere in the Bible. My motto has been, "Don't retire! Refire!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for your inspiring and encouraging comments. I'm excited to hear all these wonderful writing journeys.

    ReplyDelete