Monday, January 29, 2024

Tips to Help You to Get Back into a Rhythm of Writing Regularly


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Let’s admit it. Life happens. There are seasons when our regular practice of writing either gets pushed to the side or becomes just something we have to do. When either of these things happen, writing becomes a chore instead of a joy. That can lead us to either abandon the regular discipline of writing or push it to the end of the line. 

So how do we get back into a joyful rhythm of writing regularly? 

First, please notice my terminology—writing regularly. I do not believe a serious writer must write every day. Some do and that’s great because that works for their circumstances. But I also know very successful writers who write less frequently (but still regularly) because their lives dictate a different rhythm. 

This post isn’t written to cause anyone guilt because we’re not doing it right. Instead I want us to recapture the joyful practice making writing a priority. 

10 Ways to Jumpstart Your Writing After a Lull

1. Review your creative biorhythm. Re-evaluate which times, in a twenty-four-hour time frame, that you’re most creative. For me, my most creative time is in the morning. Because of that, I try not to schedule appointments or meetings during that time on the days I have set aside for writing. 

2. Take an honest look at your calendar. If you’re like me, there are times when life overwhelms my writing schedule. My calendar begins to fill up and either forget or avoid setting aside regular time to write. Then, when I’m ready to jump back in, I see I’ve scheduled things during the times when I usually write. 

3. Change the appointments you can. If you have writing times that now have other appointments, change what you can and don’t worry about the rest. I’m doing my best to adopt the life style of not worrying about those things I cannot change. 

4. Once again commit to writing regularly. For me, that means noting writing times on my calendar. When I write it down, I’m much more likely to keep the appointment, and I’m more likely to remember it when life is crazy. 

5. Keep the appointment. When we’ve been away from writing for a while (it could be a couple of days, a week, or longer) sometimes we find it hard to sit down and begin. The blank page is intimidating and it feels easier to put it off until tomorrow. DON’T. Do the hard thing and sit down at the computer and BEGIN TYPING WORDS. 

6. Pray first. When you sit down to type, pray first. Ask God to give you what you need to restart your writing discipline. 

7. Give yourself grace. Just like when we’re out of shape physically, being out of writing shape means we need time to come back up to speed. We probably won’t be as productive or as fast. Our minds won’t give us the words as easily. Be gentle with yourself and be your own best encourager.

8. Enlist encouragers. Let your writing buddies know you’re coming out of a hard patch and need some prayer and encouragement. Let your prayer team know so they can be praying specifically. 

9. Celebrate the wins. Begin by acknowledging the fact that starting again is a WIN. Pat yourself on the back. Build in rewards when you keep the appointments with yourself. 

10. Make it fun. There are times when writing is work. But there are also times when it’s fun. Be sure to build in some fun writing into your schedule. This could be trying something new or using a writing prompt. It could also mean writing in a different way—on paper with a cool pen instead of using the computer. You could also change where you write. If you normally write at home, take your writing to the park or the coffee shop. Whatever it takes, don’t leave out the joy!

This is my short list of things that help me get back into a writing groove. I’d love to know what you’d add to the list. Be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments section below. 

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings, 
Edie

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives. Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. 

9 comments:

  1. As always, great post, Edie. You always make me think!
    Sarah Sally Hamer www.mindpotiential.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful tips for easing back into a regular rhythm of writing. Just what needed to begin a new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do need this encouragement to stay on track. Thanks for these helpful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chriswells.grace@gmail.comJanuary 29, 2024 at 10:38 AM

    As usual — great timing! Thanks, Edie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay, I think we all need a fresh start after the holidays!

    ReplyDelete