Thursday, January 11, 2024

Plans (Instead of Resolutions) for the Writer in 2024


by Julie Lavender @JLavenderWrites

I’ve never been a fan of the word “resolution,” but I think that’s because my New Year’s Resolutions were typically awash before I finished sweeping up the confetti. Did you make resolutions for the new year? I prefer to make “plans,” for my writing life, my family life, and my spiritual growth. I bathe my plans in prayer, before, during, and after. Most importantly, I am committed to altering any plans when I recognize my thoughts don’t line up with God’s plans for me, because as we know, His plans are way better than anything I could ever dream. 

I also don’t do well with a “resolution” for an entire year. I like to think about writing goals in smaller increments. I jot down my goals, but I revisit them at the beginning of each month and alter, update, pat myself on the back gently, or strike completely from the list.

Fortunately, the Bible has much to say about “making plans.” I plan to write these verses in my paper calendar, one verse at the top of each month, as a reminder to keep following my writing dreams, one plan, one step at a time, with God leading the way. Won’t you join me? (The verses below are shared in the ESV translation, but pick your favorite version and transcribe God’s Word on the pages of your calendar.) 

12 Bible Verses for Writers in 2024

* Proverbs 16:3 – Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established. 

* Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

* Proverbs 16:9 – The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. 

* Proverbs 19:21 – Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.

* Proverbs 15:22 – Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed. 

* Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. 

* Philippians 4:6 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

* Psalm 20:4 – May he grant you your heart’s desire and fulfill all your plans! 

* Philippians 2:13 – For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. 

* Matthew 6:34 – Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. 

* Psalm 33:11 – The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations.

* Ephesians 2:10 – For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. 

How do you feel about resolutions? What writing plans do you have for 2024? Share your thoughts below and let’s encourage each other for the best year ever.

TWEETABLE

Julie’s excited about the new year and looks forward to whatever God has in store for 2024. She’s the author of Children’s Bible Stories for Bedtime and is excited that a bilingual version is also now available. She’s also the author of Strength for All Seasons: A Mom’s Devotional of Powerful Verses and Prayers.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post Julia. I have given up on resolutions myself. This is the second year that instead of a revolution I would focus and pray on one word, and the word for this year is surrender. This is a constant task throughout the entire day. Great idea one verse a month pray focus and how does it apply to me at this moment. Again, thank you keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading and your comment. I pray that God will reveal much to you this year through your "surrender" word for 2024. Blessings for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Not a fan of resolutions either. But I do like commiting my plans to the Lord. And then walking in obedience to those plans. That can be the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your plan is much better than "resolutions" for the sake of resolutions. In my head, I commit "everything" to the Lord, but I often realize I've not taken the time to actually do that on a particular matter. When I commit my plans to Him, they certainly seem to go much better and smoother!!

      Delete
  4. I like to think of resolutions as habits. I can establish a new habit or correct an old one. Thanks for sharing these wonderful Scriptures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your thoughts on plans in lieu of resolutions. You are right, things are always changing and we have to be willing to go in the direction that God has planned for us. Thank you for the verses. I will be revisiting them to encourage my writing journey.
    This year I decided to change the phrase,"Happy New Year" to have a "Grateful and Joyful year." I may be able to accomplish that! There are so many things to be grateful for each day.

    ReplyDelete