Sunday, January 7, 2024

Find Writing Inspiration With the Grasp of His Hand


by Audrey Frank @AudreyCFrank

The Lord spoke to me, like a firm grasp of the hand. Isaiah 8:11

How do you find inspiration for your writing?

Christian writers have an advantage in the inspiration department. We follow Jesus, the One who is called the Word. (John 1:1-3)* And He has given us His Word, the Bible, to guide our lives. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)*

Inspiration can become a habit. I find that regular, consistent time reading the Word builds the practice. As I read, a phrase or word will stand out to me like a firm grasp of the hand. It will not let me go until I have understood. In this way, the Lord speaks the words He wants me to give to others.

The strong Hand invites me to walk with Him. He has something to show me. I go with Him, and I see.

I see, I hear, and I write.

The strong Hand gives words for others and words for me. Sometimes, they are just for me.

He takes care of His word-stewards. At times we need a personal word, like a strong grasp of the hand, to reassure us that we are not alone sitting here in front of the keyboard at 4 am scribing what He speaks. He is with us. We are never alone with our words when we hold the strong hand of the One who is the Word.

Other times I need His firm grasp to help me be brave. To push past my fears. To make that commitment and write that book, to send that submission, to keep sending it until someone says yes, I will share your words with the world.

The words most worthy of sharing with the world are the ones that came to me like a firm grasp of the hand. Those inspired words have wings. They fly past failure, glide over guilt, soar over setbacks, and perch upon the promises of the One who gave them.

May you have such words this new year, dear writer. What words hold you like a firm grasp of the hand today? Write them.

Lord, help me build my inspiration habit this year, and may Your words come to me like a firm grasp of the hand. Amen.

TWEETABLE

Audrey Frank is an author, speaker, and storyteller. The stories she shares are brave and true. They give voice to those whose words are silenced by shame, the hard things in life that don’t make sense, and the losses that leave us wondering if we will survive. Audrey and her family have spent over twenty years living and working among different cultures and world views, and she has found that God’s story of redemption spans every geography and culture. He is the God of Instead, giving honor instead of shame, gladness instead of mourning, hope instead of despair. Although she has three different degrees in communication and intercultural studies, Audrey’s greatest credential is that she is known and loved by the One who made her.

Audrey is the author of Covered Glory: The Face of Honor and Shame in the Muslim World (Harvest House Publishers), an outpouring of Audrey’s heart to introduce others to the God of Instead. Shame is not unique to the developing world, the plight of the women behind veils, young girls trafficked across borders; shame is lurking in hearts everywhere. Through powerful stories from women around the world, Covered Glory illuminates the power of the Gospel to remove shame, giving honor instead. Available at favorite booksellers: BARNES & NOBLE, BOOKS A MILLION, AMAZON.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely article. The metaphor of the Lord’s firm grasp is true

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this encouraging post and your beautiful prayer, Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful reminder. "He leadeth me."

    ReplyDelete