Friday, December 29, 2023

Ten Reasons Why Weekly Writing Goals Are Better Than Project Deadlines


by Zena Dell Lowe @ZenaDellLowe

As we approach the close of yet another year, reflections on our accomplishments and creative endeavors may stir a sense of disappointment. Amidst the whirlwind of festivities and holiday cheer, questions linger: How much have we truly accomplished? Did we meet our writing goals? Or did another year slip away with unfinished projects, making us feel defeated and haunted?

If you find yourself grappling with these types of inquiries, the solution may lie in a shift of approach. As we enter into another year of possibilities, the key is to abandon the idea of traditional project deadlines and instead embrace the power of setting weekly writing goals. 

10 reasons why weekly writing goals are better than project deadlines:

1. Increased motivation: The other day I wrote for nine hours solid. Nine hours of grueling mental work and I only had three pages to show for it. This outcome feels so pathetic, so small and minuscule, that it’s tempting to just give up. But smaller weekly goals allow me to reframe the way I see my progress and ultimately view my work. If I only got three pages written out of the entirety of a novel, that seems small. However, if I got three pages written out of weekly goal of ten, then I only have seven pages left. Do you see how huge that shift of perspective is? Breaking the goal into smaller chunks helps you keep up momentum, feel better about yourself, and about the progress you're making. Even small, incremental progress feels like movement, which then gives us the sense of satisfaction we need to keep plodding forward. 

2. Creates Urgency: Since writing a novel or a screenplay can seem so large and take so long in comparison to other smaller projects (i.e. doing laundry, weeding the garden, washing dishes, etc.) writers tend to put it off completely. One of the things that I’ve realized for myself is that self-imposed project deadlines don’t create the urgency that I need for me to get things done in the long run. Even deadlines associated with some huge, future event (like a writer’s conference) might not be enough to sustain me on a daily basis because I’m constantly distracted by the tyranny of the urgent. A big, nebulous project just doesn't look as important when I see it alongside the urgent needs of the day. It keeps getting put off in favor of more immediate needs. But when I set weekly goals, those goals then become part of the tyranny of the urgent. I’m tricking myself to feel greater pressure to complete a certain number of pages each week, which therefore creates greater urgency and reduces my tendency to avoid altogether.

3. Reduced Procrastination: Breaking down tasks into weekly goals makes the workload more manageable, reducing the likelihood of procrastination. Writers may find it easier to start and maintain momentum when the goal is to accomplish a smaller task each week.

4. Consistent Progress: Weekly writing goals encourage writers to make steady, achievable progress each week, which feels less daunting and overwhelming. It can be more effective than sporadic bursts of activity associated with project deadlines. Suddenly, I don't need to get to chapter 47. I just need to write 10 pages this week. Again, this helps me keep up momentum. Even though it may feel like I’m going at a much slower pace, I'm making consistent progress. I'm making small, incremental progress. If I don't have that, I get overwhelmed. It's too big for me and I get discouraged because I can't see the end. When I make my goal something that I CAN see, I don't sacrifice my writing time for things that feel more pressing. 

5. Satisfies the Need for Immediate Gratification: When I weed my garden, I see the results of my labor immediately. The improvement is visible and tangible. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. The problem with storytelling is that it takes so long to write a story well, and the results are so nebulous and intangible, that we keep allowing ourselves to be distracted by things that are going to give us an immediate emotional payoff. When we don't have the smaller chunks, it's easier to keep sacrificing our writing time for things that feel more pressing. The tyranny of the urgent robs us of long-term progress because it allows us to see immediate results. There's instant emotional gratification when we accomplish something tangible. Breaking down larger goals into smaller, weekly chunks addresses the human tendency to prioritize immediate satisfaction. This strategy ensures that progress is visible, tangible, and satisfying.

6. Less Stress: The pressure associated with looming project deadlines can be stressful and counterproductive. Weekly goals distribute the workload, alleviating stress and creating a more conducive environment for creativity.

7. Increased Accountability: Weekly goals provide regular checkpoints, enhancing accountability. Writers are more likely to stay on track when they have smaller milestones to achieve regularly, rather than relying on a single distant deadline.

8. Higher Quality Output: Smaller, focused goals can lead to higher-quality writing that doesn’t feel so overwhelming to produce. Writers can dedicate more time to refining their work, revising, and polishing, which can result in a better final product compared to rushing to meet a larger, more distant deadline.

9. Better Time Management: Weekly goals encourage writers to manage their time more effectively. By breaking down larger tasks into smaller, manageable portions, writers can allocate their time more efficiently, leading to increased productivity.

10. Adaptability to Life Changes: Life is unpredictable, and unforeseen circumstances can disrupt writing schedules. Weekly goals provide more opportunities to adapt to unexpected events, ensuring that progress can continue even in the face of disruptions.

In the journey of a writer, success lies not only in the completion of a project but in the continuous, sustainable progress fueled by the power of weekly goals. May this strategy transform your writing practices in 2024, and help you maintain momentum, overcome procrastination, and provide the satisfaction you need to help keep you going.

TWEETABLE

Zena has worked professionally in the entertainment industry for over 20 years as a writer, producer, director, actress, and story consultant. Zena also teaches advanced classes on writing all over the country. As a writer, Zena has won numerous awards for her work. She also has several feature film projects in development through her independent production company, Mission Ranch Films. In addition to her work as a filmmaker, Zena launched The Storyteller’s Mission with Zena Dell Lowe, a podcast designed to serve the whole artist, not just focus on craft. In 2021, Zena launched The Storyteller’s Mission Online Platform, where she offers advanced classes and other key services to writers. Zena loves story and loves to support storytellers. Her passion is to equip artists of all levels to achieve excellence at their craft, so that they will truly have everything they need to change the world for the better through story.

To find out more about Zena or her current courses and projects, check out her websites at WWW.MISSIONRANCHFILMS.COM and WWW.THESTORYTELLERSMISSION.COM

2 comments:

  1. Zena,

    Thank you for these seasoned insights every writer can apply to their daily journey--including me--even though I've been doing it for decades. I appreciate the work and wisdom in this piece. Happy New Year,

    Terry
    author of Book Proposals That $ell, 21 Secrets To Speed Your Success (Revised Edition) [Follow the Link for a FREE copy]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent advice, Zena. I love your phrase "the tyranny of the urgent." We can all identify.

    ReplyDelete