Friday, December 22, 2023

Feral Cats and Feral Writing – 4 Tips to Tame the Wild Words in Your Manuscript


by Lori Hatcher @LoriHatcher2

It’s not every day I wrestle a feral cat before sunup.

But there I was, in the woods of Sandy Run, South Carolina. When you live in the country as my mom does, animals mysteriously appear on your doorstep. Possums and racoons. Dogs with matted fur and ribs showing through their skin. And cats. Lots of cats. 

Feral cats with round bellies that produce miniature feral cats. Hence my observation about cats. Lots of cats.

Which brings me to my early morning wrestling match. Momma cat, affectionately named Mawie, was due to be spayed. Her kittens, Peanut Butter and Jelly, were weaned, and it was time to end the kitten parade.

Mom had managed to contain Mawie on the screened porch, but it was a big porch. With lots of hiding places. And the cat carrier was small. Very small. Too small, apparently, to stuff a whirling dervish of claws and teeth and tail into the opening.

Did you know feral cats don’t meow like domesticate cats? The normal vocalizations we expect from house cats is a learned behavior that comes with contact with humans. So feral cats don’t meow. But they do howl. Loudly and terrifyingly as they claw at everything within six feet of them. 

Including me.

End of Chapter 1: Cat:1, Humans: 0.

As I smeared Neosporin on a scratch the length of I-95 and pondered our encounter, it reminded me of the writing project I’m editing—a 118,000 word memoir. And no, that extra zero isn’t a typo. 

In attempting to stuff it into a smaller literary box than its fearsome size will allow, I’ve employed a few tips you may find helpful as you edit your work.

Tips to Tame Wild Words in Your Writing

1. Eliminate filler words.

The most common filler words I find are that, so, very, and really. Use the search feature on your computer to look for each word, then read the sentence without it. If it still makes sense, you don’t need the word. 

“I reached for the cat that she trapped in the screened porch,” becomes “I reached for the cat she trapped in the screen porch” with nary a hiss.

2. Remove unnecessary words.

Often, an author writes the way they speak. Unfortunately, words that are acceptable in conversation often bog down a written narrative. Edit “I think this is when I began to realize that feral cats are evil” to, “I realized feral cats are evil,” and your readers will scamper right through your scene.

3. Cut out “began to.”

In most cases, “began to” is unnecessary. “I began to approach the cat,” “My heart began to pound,” “I began to wipe the blood off my arm.” Instead, write, “I approached the cat,” “My heart pounded,” and “I wiped the blood off my arm, my hand, and my face.” 

“Began to” is only appropriate when a character starts an action and is interrupted. For example: “I began to stuff the cat into the cat carrier, but when she clawed me, I dropped her and ran.”

4. Snip out “I believe that.”

Your readers assume you believe what you say or you wouldn’t have written it, so “I believe that” is unnecessary. If you’re sure enough to write it, own it. Turn, “I believe feral cats are the most vicious animals ever created,” into “Feral cats are the most vicious animals ever created.” You’ll have a stronger and more concise declaration. (You’ll also eliminate an unnecessary that in the process and warn the world.)

If you follow these four tips to eliminate unnecessary words from your manuscript, you’ll produce a narrative that purrs like a kitten and fits neatly into the wordcount framework appropriate for your genre. 

If you don’t, I believe that you’ll begin to encounter some very real obstacles to serious publication. Really.

Now, back to Sandy Run to set a trap for Mawie. Y’all pray for me.

TWEETABLE

Lori Hatcher loves to inspire and equip others through the written and spoken word. A popular women’s ministry speaker and writing/speaking instructor, Lori is an Advanced Communicator Gold and Advanced Leader Bronze with Toastmasters International. She writes for Our Daily Bread, Guideposts, Revive Our Hearts, and Crosswalk.com. Check out her latest devotional, Refresh Your Hope, 60 Devotions for Trusting God with All Your Heart, from Our Daily Bread Publishing. Connect with her at LoriHatcher.com or on FACEBOOK, TWITTER(@lorihatcher2) or PINTEREST(Hungry for God).

12 comments:

  1. Great writing tips, Lori. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good, Lori! I was just proofreading a blog I am working on and deleted "I believe that." Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These sneaking space wasters show up everywhere, Crystal….

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Watch your back. They pop up everywhere!

      Delete
  4. Bingo! [please don't tell our 6 feral cats I said that!] Thanks, Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhhhhh. Your secret is safe with me.

      Delete
  5. This is so funny. And I believe that I’m really sure that your very long scars will heal. Maybe. Haha.
    Tim Suddeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really, really long. Believe me.

      Delete
  6. So glad my suffering was redeemed by laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great writing and great tips! Thanks and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete