Saturday, December 16, 2023

Do You Have a Writer's Bucket List?


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

I do. I started one many years ago (2014), and I wrote about it on The Write Conversation in the blog post titled, One Writer's Bucket List. I actually keep up with my list of writing dreams and wishes pretty regularly. However, I'd forgotten I'd actually written a post about it. 

So why write another one?

Because so much has changed since that first post. I don't think a blog post about writing bucket lists every ten years or so is too often, do you?

One of the biggest changes in my list is that it has morphed from being accomplishment focused to process focused. I know that shift has brought a lot of peace to me. Being judged by what I do (even by myself) can be exhausting—and sometimes a little depressing. 

This Writer's Current Writing Bucket List

1. Get to write and travel with my husband, Kirk Melson. This is happening more and more. Kirk used to write a column here on The Write Conversation called How Writing Ruined My Wife. And now he partners with Cynthia Cavanaugh and I in writing daily Bible commentary on Stop2Read!

2. Write a book my grandkids will enjoy. I've never dabbled in writing for children, but it's become an important goal now that I have 3 of them.

3. Be an active participant in more writers achieving their own publishing dreams. I discovered a long time ago how much I love encouraging others. 

4. Find a publisher for my devotional book that includes my photographs and my meditations. 

5. Make the New York Time's Bestseller list.

6. Have a movie made from one of my books.

My list is shorter than it once was. Partly because I've achieved a lot of what I used to think were just unreachable dreams. But I've also learned that those dreams don't always bring the long-term satisfaction I expected. With each book published, there's the fear that the next one won't be as good—or even find a publisher at all. With each new contract there is the added stress of meeting expectations. It's not all bad. I LOVE what I do. But just because I love it, doesn't mean it isn't still a lot of work. 

So let's look at a few things I have been able to do that bring long-term joy. 

Some Writing Practices that Have Brought Lasting Satisfaction

1. Getting to watch God work around and through me.

2. Becoming friends with some of my writing heroes and staying friends with those who began the journey with me.

3. Learning how to write with God, instead of just for God. 

4. Encouraging other writers and watching them achieve their goals.

5. Being the Director of the Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference.

6. Having this blog and the wonderful community of columnists and readers!

These are my thoughts on a writer’s bucket list. Now it’s time for you to share yours! Be sure to leave your insight in the comments below.

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives. Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this article. Very encouraging, and I liked number three learning to write with God in addition to writing for God. I just signed up for Stop2Read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to have met you years ago, Edie. Your teaching encouraged me to start blogging. Your coaching improved my manuscript. And knowing you as a person with a servant's heart enriches my life. Many blessings and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete