Thursday, November 9, 2023

Writing for an Audience of One


by Julie Lavender @JLavenderWrites

“Write for an audience of one.”

You may have heard these instructions at a conference or read it in your favorite writers magazine. 

In other words, don’t try to write for the masses or you could lose your focus. Picturing that one reader as you write a story or article tends to give our writing a more personal touch. It helps the reader feel like we’re talking specifically to them. 

Years ago, in an interview about his book Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck said, “Your audience is one single reader. I have found that sometimes it helps to pick out one person—a real person you know, or an imagined person and write to that one.”

I get this—I really do. But let’s be honest. When we write a blog post, magazine article, book, or even a Facebook post, we hope more than one person will benefit from our time and effort. Right? 

Would we write the same words and spend the same amount of time on our projects if we knew for certain only ONE person would read our work? 

As I prepared to teach a class at a writing conference last spring, I expected at least a handful of attendees for each session. I spent hours choosing my words and creating a power point presentation. 

I taught four classes at the conference. One class was so full I had to steal chairs from an empty classroom. The other two had above-average attendance and eager learners. 

The last class, “Tips and Suggestions for Supporting Fellow Authors,” was a different story. Only one person showed up for the class. One. My audience of one. 

I taught the class as planned, recognizing that some conferees would listen to the recording later. 

At the end of my talk, I turned off the recorder and power point presentation and sat with my new friend. As we chatted about her writing journey, I quickly realized how accomplished she was as a writer, teacher, college instructor, and more. 

“You should be teaching at writers conferences,” I said. 

Although she often spoke at women’s ministry events, she’d never thought of teaching at writers conferences. She promised to look into it.

Fast forward to last month, when she and I sat next to each other at the faculty meeting. “I’m here because you encouraged me to apply to teach,” she whispered. “Thank you.” She went on to share her experience and insight with many writers there.

Our audience of one might have the potential to reach the masses, but not always the way we planned. Sometimes God has much bigger ideas. Let’s write with one in mind and trust Him to do the rest. 

TWEETABLE 

Julie Lavender is grateful this month for the release of her newest book, Strength for All Seasons: A Mom’s Devotional of Powerful Verses and Prayers, published by Zeitgeist, an imprint of Penguin Random House and the upcoming release in December of a bilingual version of her first book with Penguin, Children’s Bible Stories for Bedtime. And she’s super-excited that two picture books will release in 2024 and 2025 from End Game Press and Wren & Bear Books.

4 comments:

  1. I love this post, Julie! Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sweet friend, for being a faithful reader and faithful commenter! That makes my day!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful message. An audience of one can change the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, and I'm so glad God reminded me of that message!!

      Delete