Sunday, October 29, 2023

When Your Writing Dreams Are Postponed


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20 - 21 ESV)

I was recently in Florida for the Florida Christian Writer's Conference. One of my favorite things—outside of all the writing related-blessings—is getting up to take sunrise pictures. I'm never alone for sunrise, there are always a good-sized group of us who enjoy starting the day this way.

On this particular morning there was a big cloud bank, just above the horizon, blocking the area where the sun would come up. We hoped there would be pretty sun rays even though we wouldn't be able to see the sun come up--or maybe even some beautiful colors in the clouds.

But as the clocked showed us astronomical sunrise, the sky remained bland. Many of our group drifted away to breakfast, unwilling to wait and see if there would be any beautiful pictures when the sun finally made it past the wall of clouds.

As I waited, still hopeful, my thoughts turned to my own publishing journey. So many times during the years it seemed like my writing was destined to remain hidden. My own publishing timeline was delayed well beyond what other writers experienced. But I remained hopeful, certain that God had called me to write. Some of the others who faced delays gave up.

Standing on the dock, I began to see the sky lighten behind the clouds. The sun was about to make its entrance. Sure enough, as you can see from the image above, the sunrise didn't disappoint, it was spectacular.

The same thing happened with my publishing journey. My path didn't look like I expected, and the time-frame wasn't what I would have chosen. But the outcome has been so far beyond what I hoped and dreamed, words to describe it fail me.

So my encouragement is for you today is three-fold:
  • First, stay faithful. God has a plan. 
  • Second, you did not misunderstand His call. 
  • Third, get ready for God to blow you away with His blessings. 
I know it's easy to get discouraged while waiting for your writing dreams to blossom, but it's work the wait!

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives.Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, Twitter and on Instagram.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this encouragement, Edie. It is easy to fall into despair, but when we remember that God called us to a certain assignment we can persevere to the goal. Being associated with other writers and groups, like this one, helps hold us up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photo, Edie. I'm glad you waited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Edie. I was reminded of Galatians 6: 9: "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." God is faithful to His Word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the encouragement, Edie! I’m stalled in the dirt with health problems but I’m trying to believe that God has a reason…

    Blessings,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete