Monday, October 2, 2023

Patience is a Powerful Tool Every Writer Needs to Keep Close


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him. Lamentations 3:25

I’m not a very patient person.

There, I’ve said it. I hate to wait for something—especially if it’s something important to me, like anything to do with my writing.

And the world where we live tries to tell us that we don’t need patience. Everywhere we turn we’re promised instant answers, instant success, instant happiness. If we listen to the world, fulfillment comes more from a single, instant choice, than anything else.
Unfortunately, with all these instant answers, come fleeting results. As quickly as something comes, it goes. Happiness is momentary, security doesn’t last, and fame is only available in fifteen-minute increments.

God on the other hand, promises us something different.

He promises us good things when we wait. He understands that lasting results take longer than an instant. He also knows that as we grow and mature, our wants and needs will also grow and mature. 

When I first started on my writing journey, my goal was to have a book published. Which book was less important than just the fact of having a book. To me, publishing a book signified a certain prominence. 

But through the process of waiting for that first book (13 years of waiting—to be exact) God taught me that it did matter which book I published. He used that time of waiting to refine me and grow me up into the writer who could actually write the book He had for me and write it well.

We think of waiting as this thing we must to do to reach our goals and dreams. Truthfully they're being accomplished AS WE WAIT. 

Waiting isn’t a static barrier we must burst through to reach 
our dreams—it’s the vehicle we board to make the trip.

Today I challenge you to look at waiting as an active process. Ask for new eyes to see what’s really happening around and through you. Then rejoice in the journey, as God uses waiting to bring your dreams to fruition.

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives.Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, Twitter and on Instagram.

Featured Image: Photo by Igor Son on Unsplash

3 comments:

  1. Your statement, "Waiting isn't a static barrier we must burst through to reach our dreams--it's the vehicle we board to make the trip," would make a great meme. Thanks for sharing this inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all about what God is doing as we "wait" during this journey. Thank you for that reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good things can happen during seasons of waiting. I need to remember to find peace in the waiting. Great message. :-)

    ReplyDelete