Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Increase Holiday Book Sales with these 3 Marketing Strategies


by Susan U. Neal RN, MBA, MHS @SusanNealYoga

Would you like to increase your book sales during the busiest book buying season of the year? Almost 25 percent of all annual book sales occur during the holiday season, and half of those purchases happen around Christmas. The following three techniques are simple and costs nothing except your time. 

1. Schedule Holiday Book Signings 

Bookstores love to host author events as it increases book sales and doesn’t cost the store anything except splitting the profit. I have three Barnes & Noble bookstores within 75 minutes of my home and a couple of others locally. Usually chain bookstores will only host an author event if your books are published in Ingram (usually IngramSpark). And your book should include a major discount (45–55 percent) and be returnable. If a book doesn’t sell, the bookstore wants to have the option to return it, or they may not order it in the first place. 

Initially I stopped by each store, introduced myself to the manager, and gave them my book and one sheet. After that initial contact, I followed up with an email to the manager to schedule a live book event. Some bookstores order my books and have them at the store for me to use during the book signing; while other stores ask me to bring my own books. 

Most bookstores are great about posting their local book events on social media. It boosts the attendance of the event if the author does the same. I’ve had some readers show up at my Destin Barnes & Noble book signing that I did not know. They saw my post on Facebook about the event. It is delightful to engage with readers who love your work and want to buy your next book. 

To make the most of your book signings bring great pens, insert a bookmark and business card in each book, and hold a drawing for a free book so you get more traffic. Be sure to take pictures of the event, post on social media, and tag the bookstore. 

Every fall, I call my three local bookstores within an hour’s drive to schedule my holiday book signing. From Black Friday to Christmas the bookstores are packed with shoppers. During my book signing last year, which was the Saturday before Christmas, I sold $500 worth of books. Buyers were desperate to find the perfect gift for their loved ones, and authors know exactly how their book would make the perfect gift.

2. Create Holiday Gift Bundles 

As authors we need to produce loads of products to support our ministry financially. In addition to books, create digital products, courses, and coaching. You make more money on courses and coaching than you do your books. If you have a diversity of products, you can bundle them for packages. 

In my website’s shop at https://susanuneal.com/shop, I’ve created a holiday bundle page where shoppers can find a variety of gift bundles. I’ve combined courses, books, digital products, DVDs, and electronic cookbooks to create a half a dozen gift bundles at a variety of prices. In October or November, I send this bundle link in an email to my subscribers. I always have a few who purchase my products for gifts. When I write holiday blogs, I include a link to my holiday shopping page. 

3. Write Holiday Guest Blogs 

Some of my highest viewed guest blogs have been about the best gift books to buy. For example, my blog, 21 Best Books to Gift During the Holiday and 12 Christ-Centered Children’s Books to Gift this Christmas, lists some of the best books you can purchase as presents. When creating these blogs, I’m sure to include some of my author friends’ books along with mine. Once the blog is posted, I contact the authors whose book is listed in the blog and ask them to promote the blog too. This cross promotion improves readership and book sales. 

This holiday season, try these three techniques to increase your book sales. Schedule your holiday book signings at local bookstores. Create gift bundles in your website’s shop. And write holiday gift blogs that include your books. 

TWEETABLE

Susan U. Neal, RN, MBA, MHS: Susan’s mission is to improve the health of the body of Christ. She has her RN and MBA degrees, as well as a master’s in health science. She is a CERTIFIED HEALTH AND WELLNESS COACHwith the American Association of Christian Counselors. She published five books, the Selah award winner 7 STEPS TO GET OFF SUGAR AND CARBOHYDRATES, CHRISTIAN STUDY GUIDE FOR 7 STEPS TO GET OFF SUGAR AND CARBOHYDRATES, HEALTHY LIVING JOURNAL, SCRIPTURE YOGAa #1 Amazon best-selling yoga book, and YOGA FOR BEGINNERSwhich ranked #3. She published two sets of Christian Yoga Card Decks and two Christian Yoga DVDs that are available at CHRISTINAYOGA.COM. Her digital product HOW TO PREVENT, IMPROVE, AND REVERSE ALZHEIMER’S AND DEMENTIA is a great resource. To learn more about Susan visit her website SUSANUNEAL.COM You can also connect with Susan on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, and INSTAGRAM.

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas, Susan! The holidays are a short selling season but can result in significant sales with good marketing strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent information, Susan. Didn't know you were an RN as well (as me :) and glad to see you went the business direction (I went the Masters in Nursing direction).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Susan. Now is the time to prepare to market for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete