Monday, September 11, 2023

Don't Give Up On Your Writing Before You Begin


by Larry J. Leech II @LarryJLeechII

Back in the 1970s, Steve Martin, that wild and crazy guy, uttered some famous words on an album (yeah, those things made of vinyl) that I have never forgotten: “Punt on first down.”

Those who understand football know that is just plain old crazy talk. No team in its right mind would punt on first down. That’s just giving up without trying. Quitting without any effort. And it this also applies to writers.

Yeah.

Kinda like we feel sometimes while working on a project. Grab a towel and throw it in. Curl into a ball and cry until eternity.

But if we writers succumb to the urge to quit every time, we’d never finish a product. And we readers wouldn’t have any books or articles to read.

If that happened, I guess we’d all have to binge-watch shows on our favorite streaming platform. And then, we’d all … oh man, let’s not go fall into that abyss. 

Let’s assume that we can, and ultimately do, overcome the desire to “punt on first down,” “throw in the towel,” or cry until the cows come home. 

Whenever I get stuck, I ask a few questions: Why have I taken on this project? For me? For public consumption? To push the limit on my ability? To bring glory to our heavenly Father? 

Oh, that last one. The real reason. The “write” reason. With Him, punting on first down is not an option. Unless, of course, the reason does not line up with His will. In that case, punt on first down, second down, third down. Even if the reason is His will, the process won’t always be easy. 

The antag in our life story will do whatever he can to derail, distract, or discourage us. Make us want to punt on first down. 

Life’s greatest opportunities and accomplishments don’t always come wrapped in a big box with a giant bow on top. Would be nice, wouldn’t it?

Sometimes we must push through the mud and muck of life to wrap up a project or finish an article or to say anything worthwhile in a blog. Punting on first down at the first sign of trouble would be much easier. But finding the inner strength, the drive, the commitment to finish is always worth it. Few accomplishments feel as good as writing…

TWEETABLE

Editor-in-Chief at Bold Vision Books and writing coach of award-winning authors, Larry J. Leech II has spent more than forty years writing and editing. He started his career as a sportswriter in southwestern Pennsylvania where he covered prep, college, and pro sports, including the Pittsburgh Pirates and Steelers. 

In 2004, after 2,300 published articles, Larry moved into the book publishing industry. Since that time, he has ghostwritten 30 books, edited more than 400 manuscripts, and coached hundreds of authors through the writing and publication process. You can find him online on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I have wanted to kick a few. Thanks, Larry, for being a good coach and putting us back on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I've been going through thud week. I've been planning a new story and I keep doubting it. Over the weekend I wrote the first scene, but I still keep asking if I should scrap the whole thing. I'm beginning to think the doubts will always be there and I have to move around them, not expect them to disappear

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect every writer faces the temptation to punt on the first down. I appreciate your football analogy and the wise counsel to press forward knowing that honor to God is our aim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Larry. This is awesome. It blesses me, encourages me, and tells me to put my butt in the chair and get to work. You are a blessing to my writing and my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Few accomplishments feel as good as writing…" So true.

    ReplyDelete