Monday, September 4, 2023

A Tongue-in-cheek Post for Writers: 10 Reasons Not to Write Books for a Living


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

I wish I had a dime for every person who's ever said, "I should write a book." But the truth is that not everyone has what it takes to write books for a living.

There's something intriguing about the idea of being novelist. But the truth is a long way from the romantic way writing is portrayed in TV and film. So for those of you considering the profession, or who are already here and are considering getting out, I have some thoughts. 

10 Reasons NOT to Write Books for a Living

1. You want to make a lot of money. Truth is, writing books, I’m still not breaking even. Freelancing is a different story. But books, well…not so much.

2. You chose this profession because you mom said you were the best writer ever. There are a lot of reasons to become a writer, and family support is important. But truthfully your mom probably isn’t an unbiased advocate.

3. You want job where you can stay at home and have a life. I work harder and put in more hours as a writer than I EVER did at a traditional job. Writing is my life.

4. You want fame (to go along with the fortune in #1). There are more ways than ever to find your 15 minutes of fame. But writing a book isn’t one of them.

5. You enjoy talking about writing more than the actual writing. Writing groups are full of these folks. They enjoy the creative atmosphere, but are unwilling to actually sit down and commit words to paper.

6. You want to do something where you’re the boss. Yes, you will be working for yourself, and writing novels does give you control over how you schedule your time. But once you begin selling a project, everyone else seems to have more input than you. Your agent, your editors, even the bookstores carry more weight than you.

7. You don’t take criticism well. Professional writers know the best way to get better is by listening—with an open mind—to suggestions. None of us like being told we can improve. Professional writers want to get better more than they want their egos stroked.

8. You hate to read. Good writers read. Argue all you want, but that’s just a fact.

9. You can’t stand rejection. Editors and agents reject manuscripts for a variety of reasons, and it often has nothing to do with how well written it is.

10. You can be satisfied doing something other than writing. The truth is, if you can imagine doing anything else, do it.

How about you, can you add any more reasons not to become a novelist to my list?

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives.Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, Twitter and on Instagram.

5 comments:

  1. Edie, your blog was very well said and so true. I belong to a local Christian writers' group and some members are serious writers and other attenders come but bring nothing in for critique. Though I have had two works published, a poem and a devotional, I have not considered being a career writer. There is a message I desire to impart, and rhyming is my preferred style of poetry. Publishers often note they will not accept submissions for poetry in rhyme. Where does one go from there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's important to recognize that everything in publishing is cyclical. Several years ago, every publisher was clamoring for YA manuscripts. Now only a handful of publishers will accept them. Poetry is often a harder genre to sell. But now an author doesn't have to wait on a publisher. Self-publishing is always an option for book length manuscripts. For individual poems, you might consider blogs (guest posts) or doing your own blog. Also getting a Christian Writers Marketplace Guide will help you find outlets, As well the Writer's Market Guide. Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Excellent, Edie. Makes me smile and also cringe a little as I recognize stuff i had to work through on my writing journey. Thank you for being such a valuable support along my writing journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry, my mistakes are where I get almost all my material for my blog posts! LOL! I've done so many things wrong I don't even bother to keep track anymore. And yet, we're both here! God is good to be patient and allow us time to find HIS perfect path! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. You know, it’s funny. I’ve seen a number of times that having your mother or an elementary school teacher say your talented writer is not an indicator of your ability or future. So many people think it means they’re meant to be a best seller. For so long, I thought the fact that no one’s ever told me I was even a good writer meant I wouldn’t make. Maybe I should be grateful- no one’s said I’m a gifted writer. I have a chance :)

    ReplyDelete