Sunday, August 27, 2023

For Writers: Finding True Balance for In the Busy Season Ahead


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

So, trust the Lord always, because he is our Rock forever. Isaiah 26:4

Everywhere we turn we’re being urged to find balance. In advertising we’re given soothing images of candles, yoga, exercise, places to get away, etc. etc. etc. But I’ve recently begun to ask myself if that is really what living a balanced life is all about. And I’ve come to a startling revelation.

A balanced life doesn’t look like we think it should.

I’ve come to realize that balance isn’t an exterior thing, it’s an interior thing. I don’t care how strict we are about planning, diet, exercise, even environment, times of chaos will erupt. We know this is true by experience, but more importantly by looking at the life Jesus lived. 

As we march through the New Testament, we see that he has times when the crowds are pushing in, clamoring for attention. We see times when his followers disappoint him. We even see times when he is faced with unexpected (in a human sense) death.

But we also see a perfect example of living a life of balance. And it has nothing to do with what’s going on around him, much less planning, diet, exercise or environment. It has everything to do with allowing God to direct his steps.

To paraphrase a popular song, sometimes He calms the storms and sometimes He calms His child.

So as I launch full-force into this busy fall season, I’m going to make some changes. I’m looking to God for balance, not at what’s happening around me. Care to join me?

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives.Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, Twitter and on Instagram.

Featured Image: Photo by Raphael Renter on Unsplash

7 comments:

  1. Amen, and yes, please. Thanks, Edie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sage advice, ty. We juggle so many balls and some are made of fragile glass. I thank him for the knowledge he will catch those I fumble. Ty Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops forgot to add name. That ball fell, lol. Denise Renken

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could definitely do with better balance in my life. Of late, I've felt like the kid in the gym with everyone throwing dodge balls at her. Lol! Thank you for sharing this, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great word... Seek Ye first the kingdom of God and all else will fall in place. (Del's paraphrase :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, not anonymous, Del Bates

    ReplyDelete