Thursday, July 20, 2023

Thoughts About the Threads Network for Writers and Things to Do Right Now to Update Your Social Media Strategy


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

I don't know about you, but it's hot where I live! Along with the heat, the summer slump is happening. For me, that means even though the days are longer, I'm getting less done. There are more family/friend events and I'm just a little less motivated. 

One thing I have discovered is this. Summer is a great time for writers to do a little mid-year tweaking to our online strategies. It's also a good time to evaluate how things are going online and adjust for any issues that have appeared. 

And it's no secret to anyone in publishing that the world has done some major shifting—particularly in the realm of social media. Facebook has continued to tweak their algorithms and format until nothing looks the same. Twitter has had major crack downs on spam accounts and it looks very different as well. And a little over a week ago, Meta (Facebook) has launched a competitor to Twitter called Threads. There is a LOT of controversy about Threads and I'll be posting some in-depth thoughts on that network in a couple of weeks, but I wanted to give you an overview. 

Quick Thoughts on the Thread Network for Writers
1. It's been a bumpy start. Threads launched without having a lot of things in place. There's not currently a way to use hashtags or to search for things via topic. 

2. There are lots of accusations that may not be true. I've seen multiple emails from sites warning against using the Threads network. These emails claim Threads uses and keeps your financial and health information. They also claim that because Threads is tied to Instagram, deleting your Threads account will delete your Insta account. I have done a LOT of digging and so far . . . I can't find any verification for these accusations. I'm not saying they're not true, just that I can't find anyone who can prove to me that they ARE true. Especially since when you sign up for Threads they specifically say that disabling your Threads account will NOT affect your Insta account. They also didn't ask me for access to financial and/or health info, so I can't figure out how they would get that legally. 

My Advice
Proceed with care. I have joined the Threads network. And I'm offering my coaching clients the option to hold off joining while I do some in-depth digging to see if I can figure out if any of these concerns are based in fact. I offer you the same option. I'll be posting about Threads on here soon and will give you my honest opinion when they have some time to work the bugs out and I have time to dig deep into the accusations. 

So, all things considered, it's definitely time to update your social media strategy.

All these constant changes have many people are scrambling and scurrying. Chasing trends, adding new apps, and swearing off social media completely aren't the best way to deal with these changes. So today I'm going to lay out my strategy in hopes of helping you find a blueprint to follow. It's still a great time to make valuable online connections, we just need to continue to change how we do it. These tips for social media for writers should help you get your online connection plan in tip-top shape. 

Things to Give Up
There are things we can continue and things we need to let go of. These fall into the latter category.

1. Scheduling Facebook posts through any other third-part application. No, I'm not giving up scheduling altogether, but Facebook has slanted their algorithm to favor posts that are NOT scheduled outside of Facebook. So I'm using Tweetdeck to schedule Twitter and I use my Facebook Professional Page (Meta Business) to schedule Facebook and Twitter. 

2. I've cut way back on how many updates I share on Facebook daily. I now concentrate on one or two posts and work on starting—and having—a conversation with what I share.

3. Scheduling repeat tweets. There was a time when we could compose a tweet and release the same update to our twitter followers over a period of days or weeks. No longer. Now twitter isn't allowing this kind of repeated update. It's still fine—and even encouraged—that we retweet content. But repeating original content is no longer allowed. 

4. Sharing as many links on Facebook. Another change to the Facebook algorithm is the fact that they want all conversation to stay on Facebook. Because of this, any post with a link that sends people away from Facebook has less visibility. Instead I compose my Facebook updates with conversation starting with text and an image. If the conversation revolves around a specific blog post, I don't put that link in the original update. I wait and post the link in the first comment below the post.

Things to Concentrate On
1. Authentic content that encourages connections. All social media networks are skewing their algorithms to favor anything posted that leads to conversation.

2. Diversification: with all that’s going on in the digital universe we can see the wisdom of not putting all our social media eggs in one basket. Now may be an excellent time to begin experimenting with Pinterest or Instagram or LinkedIn. Remember though, Instagram is owned by Facebook. If you're diversifying by using Facebook and Instagram you're essentially still on only one network. If your Facebook account is shut down, chances are you'll lose your IG account too. 

3. Video: We need to be more open about trying new things and new ways to connect. The hottest thing again this year is video, particularly Facebook live. It's time to be brave and begin to venture out of our comfort zone.

4. Blogging: Now more than ever writers need to build a stable digital foundation. Social media networks no longer qualify as stable. Small changes can hold devastating results if that’s our only audience-building strategy. This means we need a viable website or blog. If we only have a website, it’s hard to get it found because of Search Engine Optimization. That’s why blogging is such an important component.

and the two most important things of all...

5. We must remember that social media is not about me or promoting my books or making sales. Social media is about making connections—authentic—relationships. When we truly bring value to the lives of others our numbers will grow. 

6. Social media allows us to make a positive difference in the world and I must not grow weary in that purpose. We can reach people and places we'd never have the opportunity to if we were going physically. My personal belief is that I'm called to be used by God to share the love of Christ. Social media allows me to do that in ways never possible before. 

It's vital as we become professional writers that we continue to learn and grow—in all aspects of the publishing industry. 

What changes have you made in the way you interact on social media? Share your thoughts in the comments section below. 

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through her camera lens. She’s a writer who feels lost without that device & an unexpected speaker who loves to encourage an audience. She also embraces the ultimate contradiction of being an organized creative. She knows the necessity of Soul Care and leads retreats, conferences & workshops around the world on staying connected to God. Her numerous books, including the award-winning Soul Cares eries & reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts. Her blog, The Write Conversation is recognized as one of the top 101 industry resources. 

She and husband Kirk have been married 40+ years and raised three sons. They live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and can often be found hiking—with Edie clinging to the edge of a precipice for the perfect camera angle and Kirk patiently carrying her camera bag and tripod. Connect with her on her website, WWW.EDIEMELSON.COM and through social media.

Featured Image: Photo by Dave Adamson on Unsplash

17 comments:

  1. Hi Edie! I have a question. You recommend not using outside schedulers. But what about publishing with Instagram and FB at the same time? Since my FB page is connected to my IG account, I have the choice of also posting to FB whenever I post to IG. Would that affect the visibility of the post on FB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Kathy! YES, definitely share from FB to Insta and use the Meta Business to schedule both. You'll increase the reach of both posts because FB loves it when you share between networks. Since Meta (FB) owns both networks, that's not considered an outside scheduler! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I haven't ventured into Threads. It doesn't sound optimum, at least not for now. Lots of things to think about, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vera, I'm glad I was able to give you some things to consider! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Kathy, I'm so glad you found this helpful! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Hi, Edie. I’ve heard conflicting information about posting links in a Facebook post vs. posting links in the first comment, that it doesn’t make much difference because FB wants to keep activity inside FB. Obviously, you recommend posting a link in the comments, and you are the guru! Can you share how much difference you’ve noticed? I’m asking primarily for the book launch teams I manage, if I should be more consistent with asking the team to post buy links in the comments. I’ve found the simpler I can keep things for launch team members, the more participation we get. Also, asking folks to go to the first comment to click a link is asking them to take an additional step to click…and we know the more convenient clicking is, the more likely someone will click the Amazon link to look at a book we are promoting. Sorry for the long rambling thoughts. I’m just trying to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision for the authors I serve. Thank you!!! (Karen Sargent)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, all great questions! The short answer is yeas and no 😩. If you are telling them in the original post the link is in the first comment, then no, there won’t be a change in visibility.

      First, you are telling FB that you’re directing readers off FB.

      Second, you’re likely triggering the comment baiting part of the algorithm. Comment baiting is when your post tells the reader how to react to that post—read first comment, like if you agree, share this post, etc. All these “baiting” techniques are penalized by FB. Sometimes, depending on the wording and other issues, the penalty is small and you may not notice a difference. However, FB keeps score, so repeatedly triggering this penalty is cumulative.

      I can say that I have checked my analytics and by posting the link in the first comment (without referring to the “link below” in the original post) it does increase the visibility over posts that include a link.

      However, the posts I’ve researched are for links to information—blogs and articles—not buy links. A buy link is going to involve slightly different algorithm responses.

      Bottom line, if you’re not seeing poor numbers, I wouldn’t “fix” what isn’t broken.

      I hope this helps a little. Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing some initial perspectives, Edie. I had also thought a "wait and see" approach is best for me right now. I've been scheduling tweets from within Twitter, but really need to try Tweetdeck.

    Question about your "share from FB to Insta" comment in one of your answers above. Are you referring to setting up a post in Meta and checking both FB and Insta boxes so it publishes to both simultaneously, or literally posting to FB first and then sharing that post to IG? I know that's really in the weeds, but every tidbit can help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it’s not in the weeds and needs clarifying so thanks for asking! Actually both ways work. Although scheduling the same post in Meta to go to both, and works a little less well. The reason is because the culture is different on Insta and FB. I’ve had the best results when I creat and post on Insta and then share that post to FB. But everyone’s experience is different. Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Edie, thank you for the update on Threads. You mentioned that you would do it last week at the Speak Up Conference. Thank you for following through on your promise. Jackie Freeman Author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching for the post! Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. Thanks for talking about this subject. Things are happening so fast that it is hard to keep up. Thanks for giving us an objective opinion.
    Tim suddeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Tim. It’s crazy how quickly everything is changing! Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. Thanks, Edie. This was informative and helpful. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I will! Thanks for dropping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  9. "Your Threads profile is part of your Instagram account, and may be deleted at any time by deleting your Instagram account." Under "How can you manage or delete your information and exercise your rights?" in the Thread supplemental privacy policy.
    As for the rest of the information, you will have to dig through the privacy policies and the things that are considered "accusations" are truth...just buried in the policies.

    ReplyDelete