Thursday, May 4, 2023

Find Inspiration for Every Part of Your Writing Journey in Scripture


by Lynn H. Blackburn @LynnHBlackburn

I’m a big fan of writing inspiration. 

I can spend a ridiculous amount of time scrolling through Pinterest and Instagram looking at funny memes, encouraging quotes, and blog posts that encourage me in my writing life. 

But there is one source of inspiration, encouragement, and at times, a swift kick to the seat of the pants, like no other.

The Bible.

From the earliest days of my writing journey, the Lord has used various verses to give me hope, remind me of my calling, and to help me stay on the path He’s called me to. 

In May 2010, at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference, I found my first verse that I knew God wanted me to keep in my thoughts as my writing journey was just beginning.

Psalm 138:8 - The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O LORD endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands. (ESV)

I was completely overwhelmed. It was the Wednesday morning of the conference. It had been a good week, the Lord had been so near, but I wasn’t sure what the future would look like. Or if there was even any point in trying to press on. I remember reading this and realizing that it wasn’t up to me. Yes, I needed to work. Yes, I needed to learn and grow and practice. But ultimately, the Lord was the one who would determine my future. 

Later, as the months turned into years with no contract, I came across this verse.

Psalm 119:76 - Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant. (ESV) 

I wrote this verse on a small piece of paper and used it as a bookmark for a while! I still have it! I needed the reminder that the promise wasn’t a publishing contract. The promise was that He would fulfill His purposes for me. And I clung to that. 

Fast forward a few years. I had just turned in my fourth book. The spiritual battles during the writing of that book had drained me. I remember thinking that I might not be able to write anymore. Ever. 

Enter Isaiah 41:13, which is the verse that I cling to like no other. 

For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.”

God gave me the image of the way I helped my children learn to write. I’d come behind them, wrap my arms around them, hold their hand in mine, and help them hold the pencil and form the letters.

Friends, have you ever considered what a holy thing it is, what a privilege beyond compare, to have the God of the Universe, THE Creator, helping you as you write? Can you picture the Holy Spirit enveloping you, guiding you, and quite literally helping you? 

I knew in that moment that I would write more books. That I wasn’t done. That no matter how much fatigue—emotional, creative, spiritual, and physical—I was experiencing, that none of it would stand against the power of God, holding my hand and helping me. 

One of the beautiful things about Scripture is that it is alive. It is active. It is powerful. A verse that speaks to me may not resonate with you, and that’s okay. The Holy Spirit knows exactly what you need and what will minister to you, and if you stay in the Word, He will give you what will minister to you in the most effective way.

I’d love to know what verses God has used to encourage you on your writing journey! Please share them with us in the comments.

Grace and peace,
Lynn

TWEETABLE

Lynn H. Blackburn loves writing romantic suspense because her childhood fantasy was to become a spy, but her grown-up reality is that she's a huge chicken and would have been caught on her first mission. She prefers to live vicariously through her characters and loves putting them into all kinds of terrifying situations while she's sitting at home safe and sound in her pajamas! 

Unknown Threat, the first book in her Defend and Protect series, was a 2021 Christy Award finalist and her previous titles have won the Carol Award, the Selah Award, and the Faith, Hope, and Love Reader’s Choice Award. Malicious Intent, the second book in the series, released March 2022.

She is a frequent conference speaker and has taught writers all over the country. Lynn lives in South Carolina with her true love and their three children. You can follow her real life happily ever after by signing up for her newsletter at LYNNHBLACKBURN.COMand @LynnHBlackburn on BOOKBUB, FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST, and INSTAGRAM.

Featured Image: Photo by Jandré van der Walt on Unsplash

10 comments:

  1. I love the image of the Holy Spirit, wrapping himself behind me, holding my hand, helping me to write. That is powerful and a visual to hang onto.
    Scripture is also powerful. God has recently been telling me to turn to scripture first for inspiration, rather than blogs and Facebook and Instagram. It’s no surprise that he has filled me to overflowing. I’m struggling less to come up with a topic to write about. It was so simple! Why did I need that reminder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this so much, Lynn. It is for a holy purpose we have been called. Then the tyranny of the urgent interrupts us. Keeping these scriptures by our desks is a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used the words of the Bible most days as I blog about ture life with God. Thank you for this added encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, just last week I had a vision of publishing being a big mountain with me standing at the bottom. While looking at the path the LORD took my hand and said, "We're going to do this together." My response? "I'm gonna need a verse, LORD." Thank you for the verse! -- Isaiah 41:13 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Lynn. I used to think of my writing that way. Then, along the way I got side tracked. I'm going to get back on the Bible (God) track for writing ideas. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this beautiful post, Lynn! I marvel every day that I can have a relationship with the Creator of the Universe. Of the many verses that have inspired me over the years, here's one of my favorites: "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you." --Isaish 60:1

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was at Blue Ridge in 2010!! And you're so right about scripture encouraging us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. He will make you path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6
    Blessings
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. And of course in all your ways acknowledge Him. Amen. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. I love Proverbs 16:3.

    ReplyDelete