Sunday, May 28, 2023

Encouragement for Writers Who Feel Redundant


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Then we’ll be a choir—not our voices only, but our very lives singing in harmony in a stunning anthem to the God and Father of our Master Jesus! (Romans 15:6 The Message).

I get the opportunity to talk to a lot of writers. And we all have one big thing in common—insecurity.

It’s actually a trait I see in a lot of people, not only writers. I used to struggle, wondering how someone with as little to offer as me could make a difference in this world. I mean, as a writer who’s a Christian, how could I be as impactful as others who are already having an impact. Why would God even need me?

There are lots of logical arguments for and against this lack of confidence. But, for me, none of them ever helped. None of them explained why God would use me when He has so many more qualified. Really does the world need one more Christian writer or blogger, or am I just adding to the noise.

I finally got smart and one morning, during my quiet time, took the question to God. I wanted Him to either confirm His calling on my life or not. Here's what God had to say, not in literal words, but in a new way of thinking about my concern of adding to the noise in the world.

He used the analogy of a choir.

He showed me that He has thousands of voices out there who are His choir. And as in musical choir, the music is more beautiful with more than one soprano or more than one alto. The same holds true with the chorus He’s put together to spread His message. He uses thousands of us, many with the same message, but a unique voice to make up the sections of His choir. He assured me that while I may not be a soloist, He still misses me when I'm not there. 

I'm one voice, but when He directs, the music is divine!

A Prayer About Letting My Faith Sing

Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts (Psalm 105:2 NIV).

Dear Lord, why would you choose to use someone like me? There are others who are more eloquent in their writing, more wise in their application, and have more experience. My audience is precious, but tiny. I don’t feel like there’s anything unique about what I have to say. 

I am thrilled to feel Your call on my life—to think that You may have designed me for such a time as this. But it feels like all I have to say has been said before. I worry that I may have missed the message You intended me to share. Why do You need one more person saying the same thing?

Give me confirmation that I’m on the right path. Show me how my message can impact Your kingdom. I’m not asking for a huge audience, I’m happy where I am, as long as I’m in the middle of Your will. Don’t let me grow discouraged. Instead keep me steadfast and firm in all You’ve called me to do. 

Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLE

*reprinted from Soul Care for Writers with permission from Bold Vision Books, Inc.

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives. Connect with her on her WEBSITE, through FACEBOOK, TWITTER, and INSTAGRAM.

Featured Image: Edie Melson www.EdieMelson.com 

24 comments:

  1. A needed reminder for so many, Edie. I love this. It's a great analogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was encouraging! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Oh, Edie, I needed this today. I have felt weary. Not writing much. Wondering if my ministry is waning. Your prayer is spot on...ha, see, your words encouraged me this morning. I leave on Tuesday for a personal retreat...praying for a fresh breeze in my spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is something so many of us struggle with! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post, Edie. Love the prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember you using this analogy a few years ago at Blue Ridge. It was SO encouraging--and I have kept it in my heart all this time since. The Body of Christ is comprised of so many parts--all have their part in keeping the body as a whole functioning. It's a good thing there are so many of us contributing!! We all have our own audiences, purposes, interests, and expertise. As a team (or choir) we are awesome!! Just like God designed us to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was time to revisit this idea! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this beautiful and encouraging reminder! Blessings, Love, and laughter to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Without your voice, I would not have found The Write Conversation, with all of its positive influence. Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This may be your best post ever, Edie. Thank you for the encouragement that many voices make a better choir. I thank God for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holli, I thank God for you too! Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. I join the chorus in stating how great this post is! Thank you Edie. Much thought and prayer for all of you at BWCWC this week! Sorry I wont be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I so appreciate you and all your encouragement! You will be missed, but you're where you need to be! Blessings, E

      Delete
  9. I love this, Edie! Thank you so much for the powerful and beautiful analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful post, Edie. It speaks to me. (Or better yet - it sings to me!) Frank and I will miss attending BRMCWC this year, but a sudden entry into the Covid sweepstakes forced us to cancel at the last minute. Praying for a successful conference for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will definitely be missed! Feel better soon! Blessings, E

      Delete
  11. I never thought of it this way. Thanks for a great analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This touched my heart. It applies not only to the books and we articles we write, but words of encouragement we share on Facebook or Zoom or face to face. Our words sing! Thanks for sharing.l

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had this thought many times. There's nothing new under the sun. It's all been said before. So why continue? Your choir analogy is a wonderful reminder that all voices are beautiful and needed. Thank you for this piece. It was needed today as I'm home sick with the flu and had to cancel coming to the conference.
    I suppose that's why there's so many types of restaurants. I enjoy eating one kind of food one day, and something else the next. Many authors may write on a similar topic, but each has its own flavor. We're God's spice for life!
    (I should probably consider why God speaks to me using food analogies. 🤔)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great reminder as I am finishing a book. Just today, I had the thought that the message is redundant. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Virginia Basye CarrJune 3, 2023 at 1:43 PM

    Edie, you hit the nail on the head with this article! I've often felt like there was nothing more I could say to add to the many talented and gifted writers out there. But God reminded me that I'm the only one who can be me. If he didn't need my voice, he wouldn't keep giving me ideas for my writing. So this gives me encouragement to keep on keeping on. May God continue to bless you and your work.

    ReplyDelete