Sunday, April 2, 2023

Words That Never Fail a Writer


by Audrey Frank @AudreyCFrank

As the rain and snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it (Isaiah 55:10-11).

The happiness inside spilled from her smile and galloped right out of those deep brown eyes. She held out a treasured, crumpled piece of paper.

Look!

Reverently, I opened the little bundle. 20 baby beans, smooth and freckled.

They never fail!

By the day’s end, she had tucked them in the overturned earth, nestled each one carefully between the maize mounds. We lived deep in East African bush country during a time of famine. The tribe depended on maize and cassava to live. Beans were a new introduction meant to support the soil and provide a more resilient source of protein.

Those stubborn seeds survived even without rain. They grew, and they grew. Like Jack’s beanstalk, I watched them reach across the dusty rows and grab neighboring cornstalks. When the monsoon rains finally, gloriously fell like a waterfall from the heavens, green leaves exploded everywhere. The sound of my friend’s laughter ricocheted off the surrounding hills.

Some seeds never fail to produce a crop.

The word of God is like that. We writers are like so many seed-bearers, our little guarantees wrapped carefully in paper, ready for planting in the hearts and minds of readers.

We can plant many kinds of seeds. But there’s one that brings a crop every time, guaranteed.

God has given us purpose-words, power-words that yield seed for the sower and bread for the eater. They are found in the Bible. These words interact with the soil of human hearts, taking root below and bearing fruit above.

On a good day, my words might be eloquent. On a bad day, unclear. With my words, I might gather a little fan club of followers and with my words, I might make someone remember me.

But I am not guaranteed. I come, and I go. I am faithful and unfaithful. I show up, and I fail to show up. I am human, and I have limits.

God’s words have no limit. I know they bear a guarantee my own words never will. They will not fail to accomplish what God desires and achieve the purpose for which He sent them.

Like my friend, I can run to others, bearing my treasured packet of seeds, happiness spilling out the corners of my eyes and shimmering across my face as I bounce up and down with joy that I can plant such marvelous seeds in my garden.

They never fail!

Lord, may I plant your seeds through my writing today. Amen.

TWEETABLE

Audrey Frank is an author, speaker, and storyteller. The stories she shares are brave and true. They give voice to those whose words are silenced by shame, the hard things in life that don’t make sense, and the losses that leave us wondering if we will survive. Audrey and her family have spent over twenty years living and working among different cultures and world views, and she has found that God’s story of redemption spans every geography and culture. He is the God of Instead, giving honor instead of shame, gladness instead of mourning, hope instead of despair. Although she has three different degrees in communication and intercultural studies, Audrey’s greatest credential is that she is known and loved by the One who made her.

Audrey is the author of Covered Glory: The Face of Honor and Shame in the Muslim World (Harvest House Publishers), an outpouring of Audrey’s heart to introduce others to the God of Instead. Shame is not unique to the developing world, the plight of the women behind veils, young girls trafficked across borders; shame is lurking in hearts everywhere. Through powerful stories from women around the world, Covered Glory illuminates the power of the Gospel to remove shame, giving honor instead. Available at favorite booksellers: BARNES & NOBLE , BOOKS A MILLION, AMAZON.

3 comments:

  1. Amen! Excellent post! God bless you as you create healing words?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joy and blessing to read these beautiful words this morning. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Audrey, for this beautiful reminder that we are planting seeds, working in the garden of the King.

    ReplyDelete