Wednesday, April 12, 2023

What is Ghostwriting and How to Get Started


by Linda Gilden @LindaGilden

My first book over 20 years ago was a ghostwritten book. I really didn’t set out to write a ghostwritten book. I loved writing articles and wrote constantly every day. I was working as a writer for a national sports ministry and the founder of the ministry wanted to write a book. I had held off writing a book myself. Writing articles was my main focus and I was very content just writing articles for magazines and the ministry which included writing devotions, a soccer handbook, parenting materials, and other pieces.

One day the founder came to me and said, “I really want to get my book written, cause I’m already thinking about the next one. I already have a publisher and am just now getting around to talking to you about it.” 

“You know I have never written a book?”

“I know, but I like the way you write. I feel like your writing is me talking. I want you to do it.” That night I went home and prayed and tried to learn everything I could about ghostwriting. I had to start at the very beginning. But one of the perks of the job was that the publisher sent one of their top editors to my home town to spend two or three days going through the book word by word. It was such a wonderful learning experience and had amazing benefits to my writing career.

Basic Information about Ghostwriting

1. What is ghostwriting? Just like the name implies, ghostwriting is a job written by a writer who is sometimes called the “ghost.” The meaning is because the actual writer behind the scenes is the ghost. The writer’s name that is listed on the front of the book is not actually the writer but the one who hired the ghostwriter. The author is the one who wrote the book through a ghostwriter. The author in most cases didn’t write any of the copy. But the author (whose story it is) makes the decision whether or not he/she wants others to know who actually wrote the book. Some authors want to give credit to the writer and the cover will read “Bill Smith with Gresham Showalter.” Ghostwriters can be hired to write books, book proposals, newsletters, speeches, and other things. Rarely do you have a ghostwriter for fiction works.

2. How do you start working as a ghostwriter? First, you need to meet with your client and make sure you will be able to work together. Get to know each other well enough you know your personalities are compatible so you will not spend time in disagreement over any part of the book. You want someone you can trust.

Once you establish you can work together, it is time to talk about what kind of investment this book will be for the author. Most ghostwritten projects are written for a flat rate, which means that there is a set amount for the work you are going to do according to how big a job you are asked to do. You need to decide what your fee is for the type and length of book you are going to write for them. Some people want to pay in installments so you should be prepared for that. If your client wants to be involved in the writing of the book, that becomes a coaching position and adjustments have to be made for that. Some people are looking for a Developmental Editor instead of a ghostwriter They just don’t know the terminology.

3. What about a schedule? Obviously you will have to spend some time together so it will be helpful to have a schedule to work from. Remember to keep it flexible at the same time honoring the fact it is a “real” appointment. Help your client to understand the way you like to work and how he or she would like to work and take both into consideration. For most ghostwriting projects it is like to begin the project without out some material from your client. As the author, always remember to tape your sessions, with the client’s permissions, of course. Let him or her know that they will only be used as a resource for your writing. You will be surprised how much they will help you. Once you get started you may want to change the frequency of your meetings. 

4. Ghostwriting can be fun and an excellent way to add more income. Since my first ghostwritten project God has taken me on a journey through ghostwriting for publishers and individuals. Everyone wants a book and if they can get it without having to write a word themselves, that’s even better, especially when money is no object. Most ghostwriting clients will want help organizing their thoughts and finding spots that are unclear in their stories.

Remember that first book I ghostwrote? Not long after that, I was asked to write the soccer handbook. I had no idea what soccer was all about. I tried to at least know which way our child was supposed to go with the ball. But other than that, it was difficult to learn. So every afternoon my son’s friends who played high school soccer stopped by our house on their way home. “What are we writing about,” they asked. 

I rose from my computer and said, “Today I am working on instep kick.” The boys got one on either side of me held on to my elbow (Yes, like a little old lady!) and practiced the kick I was writing on. That gave me so much more understanding. It was a fun hour and none of them have forgotten teaching me soccer kicks in the middle of our den!

If you have specific questions, please feel free to put them in the comments and we can explore them together. There is so much more to learn about ghostwriting.

TWEETABLE


Linda Gilden has coauthored 11 books with 5 different coauthors, with #12 and #13 debuting in 2022, adding a new co-author to the list. She loves every one of her coauthors and enjoys collaborating on interesting projects with them. She also has written many books on her own and realizes what a treasure and blessing a good co-author is.

1 comment:

  1. How do you connect with people looking for a ghostwriter?

    ReplyDelete