Saturday, April 15, 2023

Lessons Learned During a Year Without Writing

Edie here. I'm super excited today to introduce you to our newest columnist—Patty Smith Hall. I've been a big fan of hers for a long time and I know she's going to be a great addition to our community! Be sure to give her a big TWC Welcome!


A Year Without Writing
by Patty Smith Hall @PattySmithHall

But during the seventh year the land shall have a Sabbath rest, a Sabbath to the Lord; you shall not sow your field nor prune your vineyard. Leviticus 25:4 

Last June, I was on the brink of exhaustion. A tight deadline (two novellas and a full-length novel in six months) had pushed me over the edge. I’d lost weight and suffered from anemia after months of working from early morning to late at night, sometimes forgetting to eat. On top of that, I helped my dad take care of my mom who suffers from dementia and cared for our home. My plate was full. My husband, Danny pushed me to take a few months off before diving into my next book, but I rejected the idea. After all, you’re only as good as your last book. If I walked away from writing for six months as he suggested, I feared my readers would lose interest and move on. A sabbatical wasn’t a smart move. 

But God had other plans for me. 

A series of events forced me to take a sabbatical from my writing. We lost a grandchild to miscarriage. Our oldest grandson was misdiagnosed with cancer. My mother’s condition worsened. My focus this year has been on family and friends, of building back relationships I’d put on the back burner while I was on deadline (which was constantly over the past twelve years.) I also focused on leaning into God during this difficult season. I was right where I needed to be, and that didn’t include writing. 

Here are some of the things I learned during my ‘fallow’ season: 

1. It’s biblical to take a sabbatical. The word sabbatical comes from the word sabbath which is a day of rest devoted to God. A sabbatical is just several sabbaths linked together to totally devote yourself to resting and listening to God’s voice. Most times, we become so busy that the busyness drowns out that still, small Voice so we stop listening. We depend on our own plans rather than let God reveal His for us. A sabbatical allows you to slow down and really focus on your relationship with God. 

2. Writing is a gift from God. Due to contracts and deadlines, I’ve been writing non-stop for the last twelve years. After I finished my last book, something frightening happened. Overnight, my desire to write vanished. It felt like God Himself had commanded it. For someone who started a novella the morning after major surgery, this was scary. The first month, I puttered around my house, not sure of what to do. Then, I started doing things I’d put off until later. I learned how to crochet. I cleaned out our basement. All the while, I’d have the running conversations with the Lord. Three months in, the thought of writing didn’t seem so scary anymore. Now, I see writing for what it truly is: a gift from God. If He allows me to write again, I’ll rejoice in it. If my desire to write never returns, I’ll rejoice in that too. 

3. A sabbatical from writing doesn’t mean you can’t study the craft. For the first time, I had time to listen to podcasts on marketing the books I’ve already written. I took classes on blogging and read so many books, my eyes gave out. I learned a lot about the publishing industry, and that knowledge helped me formulate a plan for the next chapter in this journey if God allows me to continue writing. 

4. My writing feels different. While I’m not in novel-writing mode, I have written some devotionals and articles that are different from anything else I’ve ever written. In the past, my novels and novellas have been light-hearted, something to brighten a dull day. Now, there’s a vulnerability to my work that wasn’t there before. It rolls out of me unforced like a natural extension of myself. I realized it had not been allowed to develop in the fury of deadlines and contracts but this year, it’s bloomed with rest and time. 

As I near the one-year mark of my sabbatical, I already feel the creative juices flowing again. Ideas for new books and the thought of writing excite me again. Now, I’m working on a work/life balance that gives me the opportunity to live my life more fully, always remembering my gift of writing is His alone.

TWEETABLE

Patty Smith Hall is a multi-published author, teacher and encourager to new writers just starting their journey. A founding member of ACFW, she served on the national board and as a Genesis contest coordinator, and presided as president of her local chapter. As an acquisition editor for Winged Publications, she finds great joy in helping and encouraging others reach their publishing dreams. Married almost 40 years to Danny, she finds great joy in her family, friends, and her relationship with Jesus Christ. You can contact her at www.pattysmithhall.com.

13 comments:

  1. Boy, can I relate. When the waves crash, hang on to the mast and remember that Jesus is in my boat. I have struggled with writing too. I've done what's needed as I prepare messages for retreats, but not much else.. thanks for letting me know I'm not alone and these points are a wonderful reminder that God calls and also leads my steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll be praying for you!

      Delete
  2. Such great insight, Patty. Looking forward to future blog posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just feel so blessed to be a part of this blog!

      Delete
  3. Patty,

    Thank you for finding the courage to write these words. Each of us are on a different journey with our writing and the timing for that writing. Grateful for you.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know if it was courage as much as it was God helping me to learn something I desperately needed. I’m so glad He’s patient with us!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to TWC Ms. Patty. Looking forward to learning from and with you ma'am. Great lessons learned; am sure they will serve you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wonderful welcome!

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the TWC family, Patty. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to TWC, Patty!! When you're ready, we'll have a Chic-fil-A brainstorm session.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Ane! Just happy to be here! And yes to a brainstorming session!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you get back into writing, I'd love a post talking about getting back into the habit.

    I've not been on a sabbatical--totally giving up writing--but I have gone for weeks without opening my WIPs, and I struggle with getting back in the habit of sitting at my desk.

    ReplyDelete