Saturday, March 4, 2023

The Writer's Curiosity and the Key to Keeping Your Imagination Open


by Tim Suddeth @TimSuddeth

I started a new short story today. Isn’t that great?

Well, actually it isn’t. (Although I’m sure the story will be. Isn’t that the great thing about starting something new?) I’m already suffering from a strong case of paralysis by analysis. That’s when you have so many choices, you don’t know where to start. When your imagination goes into hyper-drive. I need (Notice that word I used there. That is part of the problem, isn’t it?) to work on my blog, finish a short story for a mystery magazine, finish my work-in-progress (which is the third in a series, so I can’t just drop it.), and send out more query letters so I can get notes from such nice people saying, “Your story just doesn’t quite work for me.”

So, of course, my brain goes, “Let’s start a new story.”

That’s one of the juggling acts all writers face. We sometimes call them distractions. Ideas that just pop into our heads, even when it’s inconvenient.

Yet, one of the greatest superpowers that writers have is our imagination. You’re in the shower, in line at Walmart, or just out walking and your brain buzzes with all sorts of ideas. Your imagination is acting like a manufacturing line. Then you get home and turn on your computer and, chirp, chirp. Crickets.

I can see you now. Smiling and going, “That’s me, Tim. You’re right. What can I do about it?”

Beats me. It drives me crazy, too.

Okay. Common wisdom is to just soldier through to the end. One word, one sentence, one page at a time. And that’s good advice, so I’ll go with that.

But that isn’t the part of writing I’m talking about. I’m talking about the times when you catch an idea, or vice versa, and it carries you on a journey that you didn’t expect. And when you finish, you hurry to print it out, then go to ambush the nearest victim to share the miracle you just experienced.

Who knew I was such a genius?

That’s the writing we become addicted to, isn’t it? The serendipity of writing. You think you know what you’re writing, but something even better emerges. It doesn’t always show up when we want. And sometimes it leaves too soon. But when you’re clutching the reins, it carries you on quite a ride.

Yes, writing is work. It’s hard work. But sometimes, sometimes, the souffle comes out just right. You come up with just the right analogy or plot twist. The words fall into place, revealing a thought that amazes you.

So, how do I make it happen?

The key thing is to keep putting yourself out there. Allow yourself to pursue the ideas that pop into your head.

Open the blank page. Put up the sail. Open yourself to the possibilities. Sometimes you’ll get just a puff and it won’t take you far enough. Frustrating, but okay. These quick trips will strengthen your muscles for when the breeze is stronger.

And when a stout breeze comes, hold on. Let it zip you over the water. Watch the characters, the setting, the plot develop. See how the theme and message seemingly magically emerge from the water.

That’s why we should always be open to new ideas. Even those that try to shove others out of the way. Try to sneak through a window while you are sound asleep.

Stay curious about new ideas. Keep the sail handy. Because you never know when an idea will sweep you away on an exhilarating ride.

TWEETABLE

Tim Suddeth is a stay-at-home dad and butler for his wonderful, adult son with autism. He has written numerous blogs posts, short stories, and three novels waiting for publication. He is a frequent attendee at writers conferences, including the Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference and a member of Word Weavers and ACFW. He lives near Greenville, SC where he shares a house with a bossy Shorky and three too-curious Persians. You can find him on Facebook and Twitter, as well as at www.timingreenville.com and www.openingamystery.com.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, Tim, you captured the writer's life perfectly. Ideas like to leap out at me at the most inconvenient time...like when I'm supposed to be listening to the pastor's sermon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I know that feeling. Right before my wife gives me an elbow to the rib.
      Tim Suddeth

      Delete
  2. Love the theme, curiosity, especially, "Keep the sail handy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. I was just sharing with a writer friend yesterday... So many irons in the fire and no wrinkles out yet. Thanks for your article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading.
      Tim Suddeth

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tim, I appreciate your insights. I try to have something handy on me to write down ideas whenever they come to me. Sometimes is on my phone, sometimes on a sticky note, sometimes on a scrap of paper...whatever I have handy! Then I can transfer those thoughts into my current WIP or add to my Scrivener project for new ideas.

      Delete
  4. Love this. I can identify with everything here.

    ReplyDelete