Thursday, February 9, 2023

Using Talk-to-Text As a Writing Tool



by Julie Lavender @JLavenderWrites

Sometimes when I get stuck while working on a writing assignment, fresh air and talk-to-text are just what I need to get the creative muses stirring again. Something about being surrounded by God’s creations helps me think clearly, brainstorm new ideas, and formulate the words I want to complete my assignment. 

Have you tried creating short pieces with talk-to-text? 

Though I could use the note-taking app on my phone, the process that works best for me is to compose the article in an email to myself. I actually find that I don’t do as much self-editing when I’m walking and talking as I do when I’m plucking away at the keyboard. And, either way works for me – editing as I go or splashing the words onto the page and editing later. Sometimes I’m in the mood for one practice, and on other days the opposite works best.

When I’m stuck and need a change of scenery though, I usually prefer to get the words and ideas on the paper, and then edit later. 

That’s why composing my article through talk-to-text works well. 

I change into comfortable clothes to suit the temperature outside, lace up my walking shoes, and head out the door. Just like with any writing project, I pray over the manuscript first, then get started. 

I walk and talk aloud, composing my article as I get in my steps. I instruct my smart phone to insert the punctuation marks as I go, as well as the paragraph indentions. If I change thoughts along the way, I don’t always delete. Sometimes I leave the words in to alter later. And when I’m finished, I hit “send” and launch the email to myself. When I get back home after the walk, I have my first draft ready to pull up, copy, and paste into a word document. 

I make the necessary corrections, and for this southern girl, that means changing “riding” to “writing” throughout the paper, as well as fixing other dialect blunders. (You’d think if I purchased the phone in south Georgia, it would come with appropriate software to understand the words drawling from my lips.) 

I edit, edit, and re-edit, and my article is complete.

You know, I like to attribute fresh air and nature with my creative success, but God also designed our bodies in His magnificent, sovereign way such that a brisk walk encourages creativity through several processes. 

According to a report by the Mayo clinic, physical activity causes the brain to produce and release endorphins. These hormones help a person feel better and increase positivity – two qualities that encourage a writer’s creativity.

Walking (and other means of exercise) improves a person’s mood by lowering levels of anxiety, encouraging relaxation, and increasing self-confidence. Again – all show up as a boost to a writer’s creativity!

Physical activity reduces stress levels, too. The “feel-good” endorphin chemical can relieve the body’s stressors and help a writer forget (or at least put aside thoughts of) the stress and irritations of the day, giving the writer the mental ability to focus completely on the article or work at hand. 

And yet another study pointed out that exercise stimulates neurotransmitters that quite possibly encourage the growth of brain cells in the hippocampus. This recent study suggests that cells in the hippocampus enable a person to think of new ideas and situations – just what the doctor ordered for a writer! 

All that medical and scientific jargon aside … walking outside in God’s beautiful world heightens my creative muses and often helps me get un-stuck with a writing assignment. Speaking my words aloud in a talk-to-text email while walking gives me the opportunity to get additional steps in for my day, benefit my health, and complete my writing task. 

Have you used the talk-to-text function to compose a blog post or article? How did it work out for you? Share your thoughts below and join the conversation. 

TWEETABLE

Though Julie’s admitted lack of gracefulness limits her ability to walk and chew gum at the same time, she’s enjoyed multi-tasking opportunities of walking and composing articles, by way of talk-to-text, on a number of occasions. She’s the author of Children’s Bible Stories for Bedtime, published by a Penguin Random House Imprint, and 365 Ways to Love You Child: Turning Little Moments into Lasting Memories, published by Revell. She’s also written more than 1000 newspaper and magazine articles and enjoys encouraging fellow writers to get their foot in the door of the publishing industry with shorter pieces. Connect with Julie at julielavenderwrites.com and on social media platforms.

21 comments:

  1. Julie,
    I love the way walking stimulates our minds and our creativity. Some of my best ideas come develop while I’m walking. For the less tech-savvy among us, can you tell us how to compose an email using voice to text? And how to tell your phone to insert punctuation and paragraph spacing? I don’t see this setting when I open my email app. Thanks for another great article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, when I pull an email to compose, I of course put my email address in the "to" button. And then I give it a subject. Once I'm in the body of the email, I press the microphone button that shows up in the bottom right corner of my phone. That allows me to talk aloud and it types in the words I'm saying. And, I just voice the word "period" and it does that. For example, I say, "See spot run period." And it types: See spot run.
      Same for commas and other punctuation marks. And, it might indent for me, but I typically manually hit the return button and then just keep talking.
      And, it does the spacing for me.
      I hope this helps!!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, that is just what the doctor ordered, Julie. What a great idea and a way to benefit our brains and bodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really works for me! I love it!

      Delete
  3. I write the first draft chapters of my novels by hand. I've been having so much pain in my right shoulder that now I take the handwritten pages, read them into word, and then edit them. It saves time and my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you found a way that helps your shoulder! I love this new feature (new to me, at least) of being able to speak my words into either my computer or phone. It often helps my back, as well, to be able to speak while walking instead of typing while hunched over a computer.

      Delete
  4. ,I get many of my ideas when I'm outside walking or running. Since it's hard to talk while running :) I try to store up the ideas and write them down when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get some of my BEST ideas (at least in MY mind) while outside in and around God's beautiful creations. And with this ole brain of mine, I know if I don't jot it down, I'll forget it! When that happens, I voice a text to myself, if it's just a quick idea. And yes ... this gal doesn't run much, but I do love my walking. If you see me running - you probably should also, because there's probably a bear or robber chasing me!!!

      Delete
  5. Yes! Talk-to-text is so helpful. Though I do sometimes wish it spoke "Southern" a bit more fluently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep! My phone is not even close to fluent in south-Georgia Juliese....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea... I do the same thing, but I used to do it with NOTES on my phone. Recently I found that using Notes, does not work like it did before. I used to send NOTES to my email and work on it there, but now I am unable to work on it... But it was a great idea to use an email and send it to myself. Thanks so much Julie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, speaking it straight into an email works perfectly for me. Then, I just copy and paste into a word document!!

      Delete
  8. Another helpful Julie post! Just tried it and WOW! it works. I just sent a voiced message on an email from my phone and received it on my laptop 2 rooms away. Thanks so much - I just graduated from No Tech to Low Tech. Long way to go but finally starting to realize why they are called "smart phones."
    Jay Wright; Upstate, SC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile! Keep climbing that tech ladder! (Ha - I still have to ask my adult kiddos a tech question almost every single day!!! About the time I think I've caught up, someone changes the rules or creates something new for me to learn!) It really works well for me, and it's saved me a lot of time in the past, as well as helped me get something written down immediately that I might have otherwise forgotten!

      Delete
  9. Yes! I was literally getting ready to "write" this week's children's message when I spied this article. I've just studied the assigned Bible verses and will soon head out the door. Prayer happens during the first lap. Formulating the message usually occurs during the second. I have been searching for the best tool to do this as I also found the note-app to be less than ideal. Thank you for this timely tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope it works as well for you as it does for me! The Notes app doesn't always work efficiently for me, either! And, I love being able to be outdoors and get my steps in while I'm composing!!! Thanks for reading and commenting! I appreciate you!

      Delete
  10. I like the free Otter.ai app. It even works when driving -- it records in the background, even if you have Google Maps pulled up on your phone. I dictate a lot while I drive, planning out scenes, brainstorming, or even just writing rough drafts. The reason I use it over the built-in talk to text is that you don't have to keep hitting the record button every time you pause to think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tried this Julie! I have used the voice memo and listened it to it when I got home, but this method saves a step. And yes, walking clears the cob webs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this valuable post, Julie. I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete