Tuesday, February 21, 2023

8 Reasons Every Writer Should Stop Procrastinating and Write Something RIGHT NOW!


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

We writers tend to be an odd lot. We obsess about learning to write better. We hang out with writers online and in person. We buy books on How to Write, How to Write Better and How to Sell What We Write. 

But we do almost anything we can to avoid the actual act of writing. Nothing shuts down a writer quicker than a blank page and/or a blinking cursor.

We comfort our guilt-ridden internal writer with the promise of writing when:
  • That closet is clean.
  • The kitchen is organized.
  • The laundry is done.
  • Facebook is checked one last time.
  • Dinner is cooked.
  • Groceries are bought.

You get the idea. 

Truthfully, the longer we postpone sitting down and writing, the harder it gets. Avoidance gives volume to those nasty little voices that live in a writer’s head. Voices that say:
  • You’re not good enough.
  • No one will ever read this.
  • You’ll never get published.
  • No one will ever take you seriously.
  • You’ll never sell anything.

You know. You’ve heard those voices.

8 Reasons to Write Something RIGHT Now

1. You’re not getting any younger. I know, it’s a cruel truth to begin with. But it doesn’t matter how young (or old) you are, time marches on. 

2. It won’t get any easier to start, but it WILL get easier once you begin. The hurdle is the starting. And it’s a hurdle that has to be surmounted every single day of your writing life. Beginning rarely gets any easier.

3. If you don’t start, you’re already a failure and the voices have won. I hear a lot of writers say that if they don’t start (or don’t submit) they won’t fail. That’s a lie. If you won’t start, you’ve already failed.

4. As a writer, NOT writing will hurt you. I’ve seen writers deal with depression, anxiety and other issues that immediately disappeared when they sat down and began to write.

5. Practice makes perfect. There’s only so much improvement you can make by learning about writing. It’s time to put what you know into practice.

6. Only writing makes you a writer. Talking/Learning about it doesn’t isn't good enough. 

7. What you have to share through the written word matters. Yes, this applies to everyone. We all have things to contribute to the lives of others. The way a writer does this is through the written word. So get on with it, someone needs to read what you have to say.

8. If you don’t, you’ll always regret it. I’ve never met a writer who regretted writing, but I’ve met plenty who regretted NOT writing.

It doesn’t matter if I’m working on a book, a blog post, or something else. I have to remind myself about these things almost every time I sit down to write. We all fight the idea that we don’t have a contribution to make that’s worth the effort. 

What about you? Please add to the list of reasons to write, RIGHT now. We’re all stronger together.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives. Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Featured Image: Photo by charlesdeluvio on Unsplash

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the motivation, Edie! I especially appreciate #2 and #7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding to #4, when the writing assignment is from God, whether its a favorite topic or not, its a "Just Do It" situation. So first thing, for a period of time each day, just get it out. Then you can rest and say, "Okay God, that's done for today. Now I'm going to think about something else." What a relief! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second point gets me every time! I always think, "Next time, I'll be so experienced that it will be easier to start ..." And yet, the actual "starting" is hard again! I wish I could learn that and just jump right in every time, but alas, I don't. Thanks so much for these reminders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you figure out how to make it easier, please let the rest of us know!

      Delete
    2. Welllll ... after all these years, I haven't yet ... but it WILL be a blog post, if I ever do!!!

      Delete
  4. What a great list! All of these resonate with me, but especially #7. We can contribute to God's creation through our writing. (Besides, my closets will *never* be clean, so I may as well accept that fact and get on with it.) 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Edie. # 7 is especially meaningful. I like how you always remind us to think about the why of our writing. Yesterday I got my first email from an incentive I sent out about Bible Verses for Women and someone shared their favorite verses. I almost cried. It's about community, adding to the Cloud of Witness surrounding us! Thank you Edie! These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hit the target with this one, Edie. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete