Sunday, January 1, 2023

Before You Start the New Year as a Writer


by Audrey Frank @AudreyCFrank

Audrey here. This post is a bit of a coup, the nice, non-violent type. Edie deserves a gift of our gratitude this new year for all the ways she has mentored us and provided resources to help us become better writers. So here’s my gift to my mentor, with so much love! Thank you, Edie, for letting me take over for just a moment.

I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, “You are my servant”, I have chosen you and have not rejected you. Isaiah 41:9

Shada* was born in a far corner of the earth, among a peaceful culture in the mountains of Iraq. Today she would stand before Congress and testify about the genocide of her people. I was her cultural liaison. Her village and her people made history the fateful day the Taliban invaded, murdering the boys and men, kidnapping her and all the young girls.

I came to know Shada because of a critical decision I made early in my writing career. At the dawn of my debut, my wise mentor Edie Melson quietly counseled me, Before you start, know why. Answer this and it will be a filter for your writing the rest of your life. I paused and thought deeply about this question. As I spent time in prayer and reflection, I settled firmly on the words of Isaiah 45:3: 

I will give you riches hidden in the darkness and things of great worth that are hidden in secret places. Then you may know that it is I, the Lord, the God of Israel, who calls you by name.

My why emerged clear and strong:

The purpose of my writing is to bring forth God’s treasures out of life’s darkness, to display His riches stored in secret places, that those who read my words will know that the Lord calls them by name.

Now, when an idea or an opportunity comes my way, I filter it through my why. There is so much good writing that can be done. But I want to do what I was called to do, what I was chosen specifically for by the Author and Finisher of all our stories (see Hebrews 12:2). For me, that means telling true stories of riches that come out of the dark places in life, treasures that are found on the pathway of suffering. It’s a heavy task some days, and I argue with God that I would rather be a comedian. But then there are women like my Iraqi friend. The world needs her story of bravery. Because of Shada’s testimony, the United States government declared the atrocities against the Yazidi people a genocide. In turn, that little-known place of peaceful people has become much-known for its courage. Today Yazidi women are advocating for victims still trapped in the darkness of terrorism and trafficking.

Pens poised over the new year, ready to begin, make sure before you start you know your why.

Take pause, pray and reflect. God will show you. Let His purpose for your words guide your writing this new year.

(And let’s shout out our thanks to God for the mentors along the way, including the humble and generous Edie Melson.)

Lord, show me your purpose for my writing, and let it be a filter for all my words. Amen.

TWEETABLE

*Shada means “Star of God.” It’s not her real name, for her protection. But I thought it fitting for such a brave display of riches out of darkness.

Audrey Frank is an author, speaker, and storyteller. The stories she shares are brave and true. They give voice to those whose words are silenced by shame, the hard things in life that don’t make sense, and the losses that leave us wondering if we will survive. Audrey and her family have spent over twenty years living and working among different cultures and world views, and she has found that God’s story of redemption spans every geography and culture. He is the God of Instead, giving honor instead of shame, gladness instead of mourning, hope instead of despair. Although she has three different degrees in communication and intercultural studies, Audrey’s greatest credential is that she is known and loved by the One who made her.

Audrey is the author of Covered Glory: The Face of Honor and Shame in the Muslim World (Harvest House Publishers), an outpouring of Audrey’s heart to introduce others to the God of Instead. Shame is not unique to the developing world, the plight of the women behind veils, young girls trafficked across borders; shame is lurking in hearts everywhere. Through powerful stories from women around the world, Covered Glory illuminates the power of the Gospel to remove shame, giving honor instead. Available at favorite booksellers: BARNES & NOBLE , BOOKS A MILLION, AMAZON.

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Audrey. Like you, I am so grateful to Edie for the part she has played in my writing life. May the WHAT reflect the WHY in everything we do this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also one who continues to benefit from Edie's wise advice. Thank you, Audrey, for sharing this inspiring illustration to help keep us focused on our individual callings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this thought provoking and inspiring message, Audrey. Thank you, Edie, for your ongoing encouraging mentorship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this powerful piece.

    ReplyDelete