Tuesday, December 20, 2022

5 Gifts for Writers this Christmas


by Lucinda Secrest McDowell @LucindaSMcDowel

Well, yes, I do actually realize it’s too late for you to ship a Christmas present to me here in Connecticut unless you have already done so, but I finally came up with my Christmas list. And, as a fellow writer and speaker, perhaps you might want to consider some of my ideas on yours as well.

5 Gifts Writers Need this Christmas:

1. God’s Presence

The first gift is “I need Thee every hour.” God’s presence in my life, through His indwelling. I want to always acknowledge that I am never alone. No, it is not all up to me. Because of the cross, I have access to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The question becomes Will I practice the presence of God every moment of every day? And if I do, serenity may become my default countenance.

2. A Grateful Heart

“Lord, you have given us so much, give us one thing more—a grateful heart.” (George Herbert) I want to keep listing the gifts I already have, counting the blessings one by one, and choosing a spirit of gratitude in the midst of every situation. Especially when the road is hard, and the answers aren’t the ones I hoped. And if I do, joy may surround and spill over from me.

3. Grace for the Past Year

I am aware that grace is God’s gift I don’t deserve and could never earn. As I contemplate the many “do-overs” I’d love to have to try and make up for those many times I chose my way, not God’s this past year, I am sobered. But God. He stoops and lifts me up and gives me yet another chance. A gift. And if I receive grace with both hands, I look around for those whom I can lift.

4. Guidance for the New Year

What now, Lord? If I’ve learned anything at all in 2020, 2021, and 2022, it’s that I have no knowledge or control over what is ahead of me. I stand in need of resilience, perseverance, and wisdom simply to put one foot in front of the other. And so, I shall do the next right thing as God reveals it to me. And if I do, 2023 may just become an amazing adventure of faith.

5. Glory Living 

I don’t just want my life in 2023 to be good, I want it to be full of glory! And I’m absolutely convinced this is also what God chose for me when He sent His best Christmas Gift. I want exactly what Paul promised in Ephesians 3.20-21:

God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us. Glory to God in the church! Glory to God in the Messiah, in Jesus! Glory down all the generations! Glory through all millennia! Oh, yes!

And if I receive His power to work deeply and gently within me, all I say and do will glorify God. 

Do you think I’ve asked for too much this Christmas? Oh, dear friend, not nearly enough. Will you always remember God’s lavish love towards you?

Every Blessing to you in this Holy Season and into the New Year.

TWEETABLE

Lucinda Secrest McDowell, M.T.S., is a storyteller and seasoned mentor who engages both heart and mind while “Helping You Choose a Life of Serenity & Strength.” A graduate of Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Furman University, McDowell is the author of 17 books and contributing author to 36+ books. Her award-winning books include Soul Strong, Life-Giving Choices, Dwelling Places, and The Courage to Write. Lucinda, a member of the Redbud Writers Guild and AWSA, received Mt. Hermon “Writer of the Year” award and guest blogs monthly for ‘The Write Conversation.’ 

Whether pouring into young mamas, leading a restorative day of prayer, or coaching writers and speakers through “Encouraging Words Consulting,” she is energized by investing in people of all ages. As a communications teacher, she co-directs “reNEW—spiritual retreat for writers & speakers” and has served on the faculty of Speak Up Conference, Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference, Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference, Florida Christian Writers Conference, Asheville Christian Writers Conference, and She Writes for Him. Known for her ability to convey deep truth in practical and winsome ways, McDowell shares words from “Sunnyside” cottage in New England and blogs weekly at WWW.LUCINDASECRESTMCDOWELL.COM

6 comments:

  1. What an inspiring post! Thank you, Lucinda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Christmas Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Christmas Blessings to you Mary Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You listed the best gifts we could ever receive. Thanks for sharing them with us., Lucinda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucinda, beautiful message, one we should all have on our hearts. Thank you for your voice in the wilderness. ❤️

    ReplyDelete