Sunday, October 16, 2022

Things to Consider When Creating an Effective Writing Schedule


by Tammy Karasek @TickledPinkTam

In the writer’s life there must be organization without a doubt. For the last couple of years as I’ve begun this writer’s journey, I’ve read quite a bit on the topic of best writing time practices. One that is prone to be compliant, well most of the time, I’ve tried each and every suggestion to achieve the perfect structure for writing success. 

I’ve failed at those suggested writing schedules and procedures. Miserably failed.

None of them were bad, nor were they wrong. For someone. That someone happened not to be me unfortunately. 

Each time I would try to set up a writing schedule and daily word count according to the latest book or blog post I read, I would do great. Until I didn’t. Which sent me into that nasty spiral of self-doubt. That voice in my head, which would mock me—what a failure you are, you can’t even meet a daily word count for more than four days. Yeah sure, you’re a writer. Ha!

I dug further to see what I was doing wrong. Comments of you’re not putting your writing first, if you really wanted to write you would, maybe you’re not supposed to write. My favorite … how can you write a book if you can’t be organized and dedicated enough to show up to write every morning and write 1,000 words before you get up from your chair. 

Hence, the failure voice would return and agree with the latest critique of my lack of ability to write on someone else’s suggested schedule. 

In a conversation with my sounding board, aka hubby, he listened to my latest rant of not being able to write at the prescribed perfect time. Therefore, I’m a failure and not a writer. At this point, he said, “Hold up. I think you said something you don’t even realize you said which may be your answer.” You said …

My lack of ability to write on someone else’s suggested schedule.

I sat frozen in a stare. Yes, I’d said the statement. But it hadn’t hit me before that moment when I spit that comment out. Words left me. I replayed the sentence over and over in my mind and slowly felt the peace begin to wash over me. 

While one person can thrive with getting up before dawn and crank out 1,000 words every day of the week, another sails through late night typing in a nice chunk of words before turning in for the night several times a week. 

The peace was richer when I realized that while I do need to schedule dedicated writing time each week, it needs to work for me. 

Once I shook off someone else’s routine I was desperately trying to match, my writing time has been more exciting and enjoyable again … before I learned the proper writing schedule for a writer. If you struggle with that like I have done the past five years (hey, it took me a while, I admit), change that sentence to read—the proper writing schedule for me. 

The best thing you can do for your writing success is to find out what time of day you will be able to show up each appointed day consistently. There is absolutely no best time for everyone. It must be YOUR best time. Maybe you might even consider two small time slots each day if a block of time several hours long doesn’t work. Can’t write everyday? Which days can you write? Now ink them in as an important appointment that can’t be rescheduled. 

Since I’m goal driven, I’ve used this fact to my advantage in getting those words down. Instead of stressing through my angst of not being able to write when others’ have said is the best, I found days and times throughout my week that I can block off to show up at my desk. And each week I have set a goal of a certain number of words. The quicker I hit that goal during the beginning of the week, the more time I’ll have at the end of the week for other stuff I’d like to do. 

What about you? Have you found your own writer’s groove to get your word count rising? Share below what has worked for you. It may help someone else who is struggling to find his or her best practice for writing success. But remember, please don’t stress if it’s not an idea that would work for your life. They are only suggestions. 

TWEETABLE

Tammy Karasek uses humor and wit to bring joy and hope to every aspect in life. Her past, filled with bullying and criticism from family, drives her passion to encourage and inspire others and give them The Reason to smile. She’s gone from down and defeated to living a “Tickled Pink” life as she believes there’s always a giggle wanting to come out! 

She’s the Social Media Manager for the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference, Founding President and current Vice-President of ACFW Upstate SC, Founding President of Word Weavers Upstate SC. She’s a writing team member for The Write Conversation Blog, Novel Academy, and MBT Monday Devotions and others. Her work was published in a Divine Moments Compilation Book—Cool-inary Moments. When not writing Women’s Fiction and Rom-Com, she’s The Launch Team Geek helping authors launch their books and a Virtual Assistant for authors.

12 comments:

  1. Well, I'm afraid I don't have a great tip because I'm still struggling to find my writing times. As an almost 62-year-old former homeschooler whose not worked outside the home since we started our family at age 25, you'd think I'd have figured it out. With all that "extra time," though, I became the person others could call for help. And I put everything aside and jumped to do so. Today, with only my husband and me at home, I'm still helping, though now, some of it is online. With the advent of a cell phone for while watching grandchildren, I'm getting messages or phone calls on our landline saying, " _____ wants to talk to Grandma!" And what grandma can resist? There goes the next half hour while watching our toddler grandson show me his toys. And the many writer friends to whom I've promised help on this or that project (since my editing and brainstorming skills are well-developed) ... hard to say no when I get such satisfaction out of helping others (my spiritual gifts are mercy and serving ... a double whammy!) Sure, turning my back on these ones who constantly need me (such as my mom calling whenever she needs someone to watch her dogs while she's in the hospital or a daughter who's finally found the perfect few days to spend with her husband but needs childcare) could be done ... but I haven't figured out how. I want desperately to create that personal space and time for writing, especially with the many ideas the Spirit keeps giving me. So, ready, set, go! Anyone have better ideas that don't involve seeming uncaring to family and friends who mean more to me than my own writing times? Our middle daughter and I decided to have fun writing novels for NaNoWriMo this year!!! Help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand this dilemma, I’ve spent a lot of time helping others and my writing would be pushed to the back burner, I’m trying to stick to my plan when called upon for help (emergencies are different). I say, I have a commitment at that time and I offer an available time a little later. Eventually people will respect your schedule of YOUR job and work around it. And when you’re going to write, leave your phone in the other room until your appointed time is complete. Then return calls, those sweet voices will still want to talk to Grandma later.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Tammy! I'll give it a try. Maybe the key is found in "eventually" if I persevere in it. Blessings!

      Delete
    3. Yes! Little steps!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for these wise words, dear friend. They are worth considering. As I begin again to chisel away at my work in progress, I am trying to create a writing schedule that works for me. And that is key—What works FOR ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It must work FOR you, or as I can attest, it will work against you! May you have sweet writing times, my sweet friend.

      Delete
  3. God has created each one of us with unique strengths and weaknesses. What a beautiful reminder that I’m not supposed to do it like everyone else. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes He has, Angie! As writers, let’s take that pressure off and do what He directs us to do.

      Delete
  4. I have tried to develop a writing schedule in the past but to no avail. Health issues of mine have changed a lot of what I get done. I am somewhat active in my church. We are in the middle of a kitchen "facelift" that is not going well. My husband is 'on hold' for knee replacement surgery. After that, I get to monitor his home exercises. His other health issues also figure into the equation. I believe I will monitor my activities for a month or so and see if I can find an answer to this nagging question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a good idea to monitor your “life” schedule, then choose those times around caregiving that can be your writing time. You can do it! Those times don’t have to be the same every day. But they need to be those you can keep the appointment for!!

      Delete
  5. Tammy, Preach it, sister! As someone who has a day job and works longer hours on that at time (hey, I've still got to put bread on the table), it's hard to manage on "someone else's" schedule. We're all unique with different demands on our schedules, so I appreciate what you said. It's freeing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!! But golly it took me far too long to figure this one out! Geesh.

      Delete