Wednesday, October 19, 2022

5 Ways to Stay Inspired to Write


by Katy Kauffman @KatyKauffman28

Do you write only when you’re inspired? It’s hard to make ourselves sit down and write when creativity isn’t bubbling within our souls. I love to write when a feeling of inspiration sings in my heart, but there are times when I’m up against a deadline without any “music” humming inside me to draw from. What do we do?

Here are five ways to stay inspired to write. Which of these do you already practice, and which could be added to your writer’s regimen to stir your heart to write?

Find Your Writing Inspiration

1. Make part of your daily time with God not about ministry. 

That sounds almost backwards, doesn’t it? In my quiet times, I like to study Scripture in preparation to write, but I know that at some point, I have to press pause on studying for a project, and I just need to be with God. Just me and Him. Thinking through Scripture together. I can take the passage I’ve been studying and pray through it, or I may read a friend’s blog post and pray through their Bible passage and application. 

We are more than our ministries. Ministry—either through our writing or church work—is a significant part of our lives, but what really needs to drive us is our personal, heartfelt, close relationship with God. His heartbeat of love for people becomes our heartbeat, but more than anything, we’re called to love Him with all we are. That’s our driving force.

I’ve seen that if I make my quiet time always about ministry, I tend to prepare things for others to study and take in. But if I first study for myself, I find more sparkling treasures in each passage. So we need both! Time with God for our hearts to be joined more closely to His and time to study His Word in order to write about it. 

2. When you feel stuck, watch your favorite movie.

Stories inspire us. Struggle, courage, and victory—we’re inspired by the characters who are willing to give their all to help someone else or save the day. If your favorite movie isn’t an action adventure (like mine is), you may be inspired by the characters who persevere, the ones who work through a personal hurt or overcome a challenge. You may like a good drama or romance in which good wins or love is found. 

What’s your favorite movie? Why do you like it? I love the three newer Star Trek movies starring Chris Pine. They have it all—a gripping story line, high stakes, moving back-stories, awesome graphics, soul-stirring music, and a team that works together against impossible odds. (Oh, and it’s in space.)

When we’ve lost our feeling of inspiration, we can watch the movies or TV shows that stir within us the desire to be better, to do better. And we can be inspired by the good writing that makes those stories worth remembering. 

3. Create a YouTube playlist of inspiring songs.

I named mine: Victory Playlist. The music I’ve found stirs within me the desire to trust God and to keep at what He’s given me to do. It focuses my mind and heart on God’s power and His goodness. What songs stir your soul to fight the good fight, keep the faith, and run your race (2 Timothy 1:7)? Create a playlist of them on the app of your choice, and listen to them if you need your mojo back. 

4. Pick a relaxing hobby that gives your brain a change of pace.

Sometimes we just need a “brain break.” Do you like to walk outside, tend a garden, or make greeting cards? How about a little drawing or painting? I know your schedule may already be full, but if you haven’t done this yet, consider carving out time when you don’t have to “work.” You can just “be.” A change of pace can be as simple as watering flowers (and chasing away chipmunks) or walking in the neighborhood or at a park with a friend. It’s the brain breaks that help me finish my projects and feel like I gave them my best.

5. Remember why you started writing in the first place.

A blank screen can frustrate me. That little cursor blinking at me. When no words are coming. But when I remember why I am writing, warmth returns to my soul, and joy works in my heart to form words, then sentences, then paragraphs. Writing is a partnership with God, and when we remember why He called us to it, we’re better able to receive the ideas and outlines He has in mind for each piece of writing. 

So don’t forget why you got started and where you’re headed. Our world is full of people who need God and His truth. Each of His writers acts as an outpost, a beacon, that shines His love and truth for the world to see. We may be tempted to let our light wane when the schedule is heavy or the words don’t come as easily. But if we ask God for help and take time to renew our spirits, we can continue with the assignments He gives us. The truth is worth sharing.

Which of these strategies have worked for you? Is there one you want to try? Tell us in the comments below, and don’t stop writing!

TWEETABLE

Katy Kauffman is an award-winning author, an editor of Refresh Bible Study Magazine, and a co-founder of LIGHTHOUSE BIBLE STUDIES. She loves connecting with writers and working alongside them in compilations, such as Feed Your Soul with the Word of God, Collection 1 which is a 2020 Selah Awards finalist. She also enjoys encouraging writers and giving writing tips in her monthly writers’ newsletter called THE LIGHTHOUSE CONNECTION.

In addition to online magazines, Katy’s writing can be found at CBN.COM, thoughts-about-God.com, and three blogs on writing. She loves to spend time with family and friends, create art and make crafts with her group MY ARTSY TRIBE, and tend the garden in the morning sun. She makes her home in a cozy suburb of Atlanta, Georgia. Connect with her on FACEBOOK and TWITTER.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you. This was a much-needed reminder to prioritize my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I needed to read this article today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad it was the right timing for this post! May God bless the time you set aside for Him. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Well said! When words cease forming in my mind, I find that a focus on God within me reorients my thinking and opens the pathway to inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really cool, Tom. I am grateful the prompts God gives as I write too. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete