Monday, May 30, 2022

Tips to Help Speakers Deal with a Persistent Cough or Voice Loss


by Yvonne Ortega @YvonneOrtega1

After a return home from a trip out of state, I woke up the next day with a cough and slight fever. My doctor insisted a trip to the ER for COVID and influenza testing plus blood tests, a chest X-ray, and an EKG were in order.

Nothing showed up except a cough, slight fever and elevated blood pressure attributed to the tension of riding in an ambulance. Therefore, the doctor prescribed only an OTC cough medicine. 

Less than twenty-four hours later, my fever spiked, and the cough worsened. I saw my own doctor.

He prescribed an antibiotic for bronchitis, extra strength cough drops with honey, seven glasses of water daily, and rest for seven to ten days. He told me to sit in my rocker-recliner for an hour after an antibiotic to increase its effectiveness. I stayed there for the night more than once. 

Because of my history with asthma and aggressive cancer treatment in the past, I’ve tried many of the following remedies.


Allegra® comes in Regular, 12HR, 24 HR, and children’s Allegra®. Although one of my speaker friends swears by it, years ago, its effectiveness dwindled. 

Altered Diet

Pollen, dust, dairy products, coffee, soft drinks, and chocolate aggravate my asthma and cough. So do scented products, such as cologne, hair spray, and perfume. I’m grateful I dislike those products, but dark chocolate in moderation seems to be safe at times. 

Essential Oils 

I use Eucalyptus and Lavender as a cold and flu remedy, because they help to provide natural sleep. My body also likes Lemon and Breathe. Several women in my area sell these essential oils in a brand that enhances my wellbeing. 

My Most Effective Treatment

The specific antibiotic for my system, lots of rest for seven to ten days, extra strength cough drops with honey, chicken soup with rice from a trusted restaurant or homemade chicken soup with Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning, and seven glasses of water daily do more than anything else for me. 

I find Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning online at Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning and at the grocery store.

My Two Favorite Cookbooks


Annette Reeder, BHS, diploma in Biblical Studies, and certified in nutrition consulting, has put together a wealth of tasty recipes. She founded Designed Healthy Living and Design Publishing. I enjoy her appetizers, soups, and desserts, which she calls “Happy Endings.” 

Her family’s deteriorating health led her on the journey to this healthy treasure.

The chapters on Setting Up Your Kitchen: The Right Tools and Intriguing Ingredients plus the recipes helped me to eliminate foods that aggravate my system. The better I eat, the better I feel. My body welcomes almond milk, Navy beans, and walnuts but rejects rice milk, Quinoa, and pumpkin seeds. 


Susan U. Neal, RN, MBA, MHS has a background in nursing and health services. I like Neal’s seven steps which helped me get started. I’ll quote three here. 
  • Step 1: Decide to Improve Your Health.
  • Step 2: Acquire a Support System and Knowledge. 
  • Step 3: Clean Out the Pantry and Refrigerator.
The checklists, assessments, and journal tips helped me stay focused.

Periodically, I go back to both books for refresher training as I am now. 

Prayer and a Prayer/Health-seeking Partner

As a human being, I can’t stay on a healthy diet alone. Daily prayer and support from others are essential. “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” (Proverbs 27:17 NIV) 

Please share a tip you’ve found effective for persistent cough or voice loss.

TWEETABLE

Yvonne Ortega walks with a small footprint but leaves a giant imprint in people’s lives. This power-packed package is a professional speaker and the author of the Moving from Broken to Beautiful® Series through cancer, divorce, forgiveness, and loss. Learn more at WWW.YVONNEORTEGA.COM

Yvonne speaks with honesty and humor as she shares her life and struggles through presentations that empower women to find peace, power, and purpose through God’s Word. 

Yvonne’s background as a licensed professional counselor brings a unique perspective into the heart of women. She’s a speaking and writing coach and the owner of Moving from Broken to Beautiful®, LLC. She belongs to the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, the Christian Authors Network, the National Speakers Association, and Toastmasters International.

She celebrates life at the beach, where she walks, builds sand castles, blows bubbles, and dances.

Featured Image: Photo by Dr Josiah Sarpong on Unsplash

1 comment:

  1. Yvonne, Your articles are always so pertinent to what I'm going through! Thank you for these helpful suggestions.

    ReplyDelete