Monday, May 16, 2022

Develop Beneficial Relationships for Media Marketing


by Karen Whiting @KarenHWhiting

One of my greatest treasures as a writer are the relationships I’ve developed. Many have blessed me with helping my marketing. The purpose of networking is to exchange information, advice, and referrals that assist in attaining career goals. Exchanging implies mutually beneficial and that’s what we should strive for in building the business relationships. This includes relationships with media professionals.

Tap into the Power of Referrals

I realized how much referrals meant when I appeared for one of my first television interviews, a spot I secured through Don Otis, a publicist my publisher had hired for one of my first books. I chatted with another guest and discovered she produced a show and helped me become a guest on her station. On that station, the host said she really wanted to introduce me to her friend Dorothy Spaulding who had a station in another area of the same state. The producer introduced me to the producer at another station on which I became a repeat guest and have been on many times over the years. I try to always send written thanks to media hosts to build those relationships. It surprised me when one host I know mentioned that in nine months of guests she only received three thank you notes.

Once I contacted Dorothy and came on her show we hit it off. I’ve been a guest many times. Beyond that, when she has seen me at the National Religious Broadcasters Conference (NRB) she has graciously hugged me and then taken me around to meet her friends in the industry who host or produce other shows. Even this year she introduced me to several people, and I’ve already been a guest on shows that her friends host.

Get Started

How can an author get start to build more relationships to create such great networking? It starts with one opportunity. For media networking, you may hire a publicist, connect with a friend who has a podcast, or pitch at NRB with an elevator pitch, a press kit, and a copy of your book you want to promote.

If you attend a show like NRBB, see what sessions focus on networking, such as a meet and greet party. The NRB has an evening one where it is easy to move around and introduce yourself, ask questions, and exchange business cards. I always make great connections at these types of events. I also meet people that I realize I need to connect with people in my network and I do that too. I follow up with emailing the people who gave me their cards to start a conversation. Getting to know one another is important in building a relationship. The benefits for marketing can come later.

After you are on the show, be sure to send a thank-you card to the host. Suggest another guest too. I received an email today from one TV producer asking me to recommend a guest for their show. Both authors and hosts want referrals! I sent a few of my top recommendations. Again, networking is beneficial to all parties and often a multiple connected relationship.

Build Your Media Network

Build a database of shows. Start with ones in your area where you can help with a telethon and meet people. Add in ones where you have been a guest. Add ones you dream of being on as a guest. For each one, include the show name, contacts person, host, address, and phone number plus any show notes. Notes may include the background colors of the set and the style of clothing worn by the host, so you can choose the right outfit to wear. It may also include the host’s favorite topics and audience demographics.

When you have a new book or new topic to talk about, look through the database and contact the people who will be most interested in the topic. Send your best pitch where you share the benefits for the audience.

The Blessings of Connections

Media networking starts a wonderful journey to meet many people in broadcast and discover the heart each one has for their audience and mission of their show. It’s much more than simply promoting a book. It’s being part of a larger vision as Christians to reach people who need great messages.

TWEETABLE

Karen Whiting (WWW.KARENWHITING.COM) is an international speaker, former television host of Puppets on Parade, certified writing and marketing coach, and award-winning author of twenty-seven books for women, children, and families. Her newest book, The Gift of Bread: Recipes for the Heart and the Table reflects her passion for bread and growing up helping at her grandparent’s restaurant. Check out her newest book Growing a Mother’s Heart: Devotions of Faith, Hope, and Love from Mothers Past, Present, and Future. It's full of heartwarming and teary-eyed stories of moms.

Karen has a heart to grow tomorrow’s wholesome families today. She has written more than eight hundred articles for more than sixty publications and loves to let creativity splash over the pages of what she writes. She writes for Crosswalk. Connect with Karen on Twitter @KarenHWhiting Pinterest KarenWhiting FB KarenHWhiting.

Featured Image: Photo by LinkedIn Sales Solutions on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment