Saturday, April 30, 2022

A Review for Writers Who Speak of Soul Care When You’re Grieving


by Yvonne Ortega @YvonneOrtega1 

I bought a paperback copy of Soul Care When You’re Grieving. I read it almost non-stop and saw how it could apply to us not only as writers and speakers but also as human beings going through life in difficult times.

First, Soul Care When You’re Grieving addresses the spiritual side of speaking. 

Edie Melson shares her thoughts and feelings with transparency in her prayers and Bible verses. In many speaker trainings and refresher events, attendees receive content and delivery tips. We need them. However, as Christians, we require the spiritual side as well.

As a speaker on the topics of divorce, grief, addiction, and illness, I see the parallels from the losses. Divorce is a death of a relationship. In the past year alone, I had no idea how many emotions I had stuffed in my attempts to keep going. I lost family members, friends, and acquaintances. Even my hairdresser dropped dead at work. I also lost friends in the publishing and speaking world through their retirement or death. 

Melson confirms my thoughts and feelings that if I don’t live in God’s peace, joy, and love daily, I can’t share that experience with others. The more aware I am of his blessings the closer I draw to him in gratitude, share that with others, and comfort them.

Second, Soul Care When You’re Grieving addresses the creative side.

I process through hands-on activities. Many in my audience or daily contacts also process the same way. Edie Melson introduces one activity by saying “Today, we’re going to let God heal what’s broken.” At the end of the activity, she says, “Hang the key up somewhere you can see it and let it remind you that God can open any door and restore anything you’ve lost” (pages 83–84). I admit my need for a visual reminder. 

Melson also uses nature and photography as creative means to bring healing. Some of my best days include walks at the beach or along trails by the lake with friends. God uses the birds, ducks, and rabbits to restore my peace and joy. I keep my iPhone in my hand to capture the memories. I schedule retreats near the beach. Others prefer the mountains. Whatever the choice, our body, mind, and soul crave a time of refreshment and fresh air.

Third, Soul Care When You’re Grieving addresses sweetness and purpose.

Challenges and changes can distract and disturb us. They can cause us to question our calling in life and wonder if God’s calling and his gifts are irrevocable. May we echo Edie Melson, “I’m going to learn how to hang on and extract every bit of sweetness and purpose from today, even if the world turns me upside down” (page 47). 

For these reasons, I highly recommend Edie Melson’s book, Soul Care When You’re Grieving. Buy a copy for yourself and five or six to pass out as the Lord leads you. 

TWEETABLE

Soul Care When You're Grieving
Edie Melson

There is no right or wrong way to face loss. But do you ever feel you could be coping better?

Grief is difficult. We all experience it-and we experience it differently. But what if you could break down some of the barriers created by grief? What if you could latch onto ways to engage again with the world around you?

It's far too easy to be tied to common misconceptions about grief. By reframing those misconceptions, we can learn to give ourselves more grace as we process loss. Each chapter of Soul Care When You're Grieving is designated by the opposite of one of the five experiences of grief and can help you start that course to reframing through:
  • devotions
  • prayers
  • creative exercises

God designed you uniquely—including how you process loss. Learn to embrace your own personal blueprint for dealing with grief.

Paperback copy available at amazon.com


Yvonne Ortega walks with a small footprint but leaves a giant imprint in people’s lives. This power-packed package is a professional speaker and the author of the Moving from Broken to Beautiful® Series through cancer, divorce, forgiveness, and loss. Learn more at WWW.YVONNEORTEGA.COM

Yvonne speaks with honesty and humor as she shares her life and struggles through presentations that empower women to find peace, power, and purpose through God’s Word. 

Yvonne’s background as a licensed professional counselor brings a unique perspective into the heart of women. She’s a speaking and writing coach and the owner of Moving from Broken to Beautiful®, LLC. She belongs to the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, the Christian Authors Network, the National Speakers Association, and Toastmasters International.

She celebrates life at the beach, where she walks, builds sand castles, blows bubbles, and dances.

Publisher: Bold Vision Books
Paperback copy available at amazon.comKindle version available at amazon.com

1 comment: