Thursday, March 10, 2022

Prepare for a Writing Conference with These Never-Before-Told Tips!


by Julie Lavender @JLavenderWrites

Conference season is upon us, and stellar articles abound on what to take to a conference and how to prepare for one. You’ll find informed articles right here on this site. 

However, some of the more knowledgeable contributors have left out a few important suggestions. I’ll share them with you below. (Lest I stir the ire of those who think I’m discounting others’ expertise, you obviously don’t speak snark, so I suggest you move on to another form of social media and find someone else to pick on. If, however, sarcasm is your second language, like mine, read on for important conference tips.) 

Snarky Conference Preparation Tips

1. Be prepared to leave thoughts of home behind, for the most part, when you get to the conference. Concentrate completely on meeting new friends, catching up with old friends, learning as much as your brain can handle, and pitching great ideas. That might mean preparing meals ahead of time for the hubby or spouse. (Lest I stir the ire of my compatriots who think their hubbies should take care of themselves while you’re away, let me share that my love language to my husband is cooking and baking. I enjoy preparing meals for him. His love language to me is acts of service, like doing yardwork, folding all of the laundry, and many other household responsibilities. When I leave meals-ready-to-eat in the fridge, I can relax more at the conference, knowing my husband is cared for and thinks of me each time he indulges in my cooking.) 

2. Have small mints handy. Don’t scare away an editor with your breath before they even hear your pitch. Your room might be far away and you won’t always have time to run back to brush your teeth after those delicious meals. Sure, you can take a toothbrush and paste with you in a purse, but you also might not have time to freshen up before you see that editor or agent you want to chat with. (And, lest I stir the ire of my dental hygienist friends who worry about cavities from munching on mints all day, then be sure to look for sugar-free mints and brush twice when you get back to the room.)

3. Pack a lightweight robe for cover up, in case, like me, you suffer from occasional power surges. There’s nothing worse than drying your hair in a small, closed bathroom when a wisdom flash hits (heh—if my dermatologist kindly calls them “wisdom spots” instead of “age spots,” then I can call that evilness whatever I want to call it). With a lightweight robe, you can dry your hair in skivvies and a robe after a shower in a bigger, airy room and not break out in such a sweat that you need another shower. (Lest I stir the ire of any of my irritable, hormonal friends, yes I said that aloud. Sweat across the forehead is miserable and not pretty. Even in the comfort of one’s own room with just a roommate.)

4. Tuck a pair of earplugs in your toiletry bag, just in case the roommate is a rather noisy sleeper. You never know—she might have been a precious, sweet, online buddy for a long time, but you could be surprised that her snores rattle the blinds at night. (Lest I stir the ire of former roommates … I’ve only heard of snoring roommates … I’ve not experienced it myself except for a non-writing conference I attended once, and she not only rattled our blinds, but those of the floors above and below.)

5. Smuggle in one of those compact-style magnification mirrors and make sure you have a pair of tweezers in your bag. For conferences that last several days, sometimes those misplaced eyebrows—aka chin hairs—seem to take on a life of their own when you’re away from home and grow exponentially. You’d hate to be accepting an award and trip over a chin hair. I wouldn’t know that by experience—I’ve just heard it can happen. (Lest I stir the ire of those who have come close enough to call me a liar, mind your own business. I’ve seen your errant chin hairs, too. Did I say that one out loud?) 

6. And lastly, fill your suitcase with an open mind, a great attitude, and a willingness to learn. Tongue-in-cheek comments aside, I love everything about conferences. I look forward to them every year. Each one I’ve attended has made me a better person and a much better writer. I’ll take chin hairs and snoring roommates and maybe even a cavity or two, but don’t take away my conferences. 

See you soon! Please comment below on other must-have-conference-items that I’ve forgotten! 

TWEETABLE

Julie Lavender is excited about upcoming conferences this year and plans to meet tons of new people. She prefers those who speak a bit of snark and sarcasm and ones that laugh a lot, but she’ll accommodate others, too. She invites you to take a look at her two most recent books and consider sharing them with others for Easter gifts this year. Check out 365 Ways to Love Your Child: Turning Little Moments into Lasting Memories (Revell/Baker) and Children’s Bible Stories for Bedtime (Zeitgeist/Penguin Random House).

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I learned the hard way about forgetting a pair of tweezers! I haven't made that mistake again!! Blessings!

      Delete
  2. How fun! I enjoyed a good laugh while reading this and I learned a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, some of these I learned by experience the hard way, so I like to share my blunders with others! Thanks for the comment, and I hoped it might bring a chuckle or two!

      Delete
  3. Wear comfortable shoes because you will be on your feet a lot! Plus, I always pack a simple business casual wardrobe organized around one color so it's easier to change it up with accessories. Plus, this allows for your pack fewer shoes (unless you're one of those who LOVES shoes!) which take up luggage space. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about the comfy shoes before, but how marvelous to organize around one color for the sake of accessories and shoes! Brilliant, my friend!

      Delete
  4. LOVE THIS! And I'll have my first roommate later this month. EEK. Thanks for the ear plug tip.

    When I present at conferences, I suggest attendees dedicate a page at the back of their notebook for action steps. Conferences are so inspiring that you might want to do everything when you get home. If you're like me that may make you freeze. So...this is my alternative.
    Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, SUCH a great idea, Annette! And my problem often is that I sometimes forget those action steps when I get home, even though at the conference I just thought there would be no way I could forget that brilliant idea!!! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  5. Love this hilarious post, Julie. In addition to humor, you included wise tips and illustrated how much fun conference life is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and for chuckling along with me!!! Conference life (and most importantly, conference FRIENDS) are the best!!!

      Delete
  6. Ha! This was most entertaining (and helpful). I'm looking forward to seeing you there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got a chuckle out of my silliness ... but seriousness, too ....! Can't wait to see you. It will be here before we know it!!

      Delete
  7. Lol! Tweezing is an everyday part of my life. I never leave home without a pair of tweezers. Of course, I struggle with more than just a few errant chin hairs. Bless you women who only have to deal with a paltry few. Those who are in the bearded women club with me, you're my sisters and I understand your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my many questions about growing older and wiser .... hahaha! I've just not quite understood why my errant hairs waited to show up when my eyes can't see them as well! One of the mysteries of life, I guess! Hope to see you soon!

      Delete
  8. This is great, Julie. Thanks for the "good" advice and the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete