Thursday, February 3, 2022

A Peek Behind the Writing Curtain: Real Texts from Real Writers


by Lynn H. Blackburn @LynnHBlackburn

When I was pursuing publication, there were many days when I stared at my computer in despair. I longed for the days when the steep learning curve was over. I dreamed of sitting down at my computer and pounding out words with confidence and clarity. Oh, I knew every day wouldn’t be a trip through the light fantastic, but I assumed that over time the frustration I experienced while writing would lessen. 

I also thought it would be amazing to have author friends. Authors who have been there, done that. Who know how the process works. Who have it all figured out. 

Yeah. About that. 

It is a.maz.ing to have author friends. Phenomenal. But the rest of it? Not so much. 

And published or pre-published, writing these days is tough. It feels like every author I know is struggling with something that is impacting their creativity. 

We tend to talk about it in general terms, but sometimes we need to know we aren’t alone. And because my author friends are truly amazing, when I reached out to them and asked permission to share some of our texts/emails/FB messages with you, they graciously agreed. 

What you’re about to read is real and unedited except when necessary to preserve anonymity. These are also representative samples of messages that get sent with some frequency. 

(And it’s okay to laugh at our pain. We do it all the time).

First, I give you the “my subconscious is messing with me” text.



This is the “revisions have landed” text.

This is the “I need to scream” message.


Here we have the “It’s worse than before” text.



This is the recurring “wait, is this too much?” text. 



The “can’t land the plane” text happens on a regular basis.


Here we have the frequent “my book is a dumpster fire” text.


Last but not least, I present to you the “we all cry over our books” text—and yeah, I thought about not sharing this one, but maybe somebody needs to see it.

****

Can you relate to any of this? I’m willing to bet that regardless of your publication status, as one of my friends said, you “feel this on every level.” 

What I hope you noticed is that even in the whining, complaining, and commiserating, there was a lot of praying and encouragement. That really is the only way to make it through. 

Pray hard. And when you have the chance to encourage a fellow writer, do it! 

Grace and peace,





TWEETABLE

Lynn H. Blackburn loves writing romantic suspense because her childhood fantasy was to become a spy, but her grown-up reality is that she's a huge chicken and would have been caught on her first mission. She prefers to live vicariously through her characters and loves putting them into all kinds of terrifying situations while she's sitting at home safe and sound in her pajamas! 

Lynn’s titles have won the Carol Award, the Selah Award, and the Faith, Hope, and Love Reader’s Choice Award. Her newest series kicked off in March 2021 with Unknown Threat, a 2021 Christy Award finalist. 

She is a frequent conference speaker and has taught writers all over the country. Lynn lives in South Carolina with her true love and their three children. You can follow her real-life happily ever after by signing up for her newsletter at LYNNHBLACKBURN.COM and @LynnHBlackburn on BOOKBUB, FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST, and INSTAGRAM.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I can relate, lmao! Thank you for sharing, will definitely tweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to start off my morning! Laughed so hard I almost...you get the point! Thank you for sharing--it was very encouraging! Hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had about a dozen and a half books published, and with almost all of them, have gone through just what you describe. Needed this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been procrastinating writing the final book in a series because I just don't know how to make the conclusion stretch out long enough. These texts reminded me that I do my most creative writing when I just let the words flow onto the keyboard without over-analyzing them. And that's what I love most about the whole writing process. Thanks for this humorous reminder that's scarily accurate to what we all go through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Brilliant blog a behind the scenes peek.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn, it helps to know I fit into the different kind of not normal for writers. This isolation has done a number on my creativity. If it weren't for a few deadlines for smaller projects (a blog and a magazine article) I would just hang it up for a long while. But of course, I can't...and when a rare bright moment comes along, I can be okay for a while again.

    ReplyDelete