Thursday, December 9, 2021

How to Wait Well as a Writer


by Julie Lavender @JLavenderWrites

I’m not a patient waiter. How ‘bout you? 

As writers, we’re often in a state of waiting. Waiting for the next conference, so we can fellowship with our like-minded comrades and meet new author friends, too. Waiting to hear back from a query. Waiting to hear from a publisher. Waiting for just the right agent to give us a nod of approval. 

Waiting for the launch of our latest book. Waiting for friends and family to review that latest book. Waiting for an idea for another book or article or blog. 

Writers write. And then, writers wait. 

For over half a year now, I’ve anxiously awaited the launch of my next book. Amazon announced the launch date of Children’s Bible Stories for Bedtime, published by Penguin Random House, as November 23. About six weeks ago, I watched the date change to November 30, and my marketing rep at Penguin said, “Supply chain and printer capacity issues might delay the launch further.” 

Soon, the release date changed to December 14, then to December 21. I’d hoped that was the last change, because I hoped parents and grandparents and other adults who love children would want to purchase my book for the little ones in their lives. 

But, alas, the date moved again to January 11, 2022. 

I’ll admit – my emotions got the better of me, and I was deeply distraught by the changes. I’d anxiously awaited the release of my book for so long, and now, apparently, I’d have to wait even longer. 

My head didn’t have a problem recognizing that “God’s timing is perfect” and “His ways are higher,” but my heart was disappointed, nonetheless. 

After a bit of moaning and complaining and pouting (mostly either to my husband or in a conversation with myself or in my morning walk with God), I decided to do what I should’ve done in the first place. I turned to the Bible to see what lessons I could learn while waiting. 

Have you ever noticed how often God calls us to wait? 

Abraham and Sarah waited many, many years to become parents. Even after God revealed his promise to them, the couple waited a long time for Isaac’s birth. Genesis 15:6 says, “Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness.” 

Abraham trusted God’s promises. His faith led him to believe, and I believe waiting on the Lord increased his faith infinitely. Waiting a few extra weeks for my book to release will certainly be worth it to me, if I spend that time trusting God’s promises and leaning into my faith, rather than moaning or complaining. I’ll trade a mere six weeks for a stronger faith any day!

Jacob worked and waited for years to become Rachel’s husband, and because of a conniving father-in-law, Jacob worked seven more years to earn the wife he thought he was getting in the first place. Jacob’s waiting seemed to amplify his love for Rachel. I’m praying the wait time will grow my affection for my writing project more deeply, also. It’s my desire to work even harder to bring about awareness for my book, praising the Lord continuously for the book contract he bountifully bestowed upon me. For, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows,” (James 1:17). 

Publication dates may change like shifting shadows, but not the Giver of good and perfect gifts. Extra days of waiting give me ample time to remember that a book contract from Penguin Random House is an extra-special gift to me, one that I can work hard for and praise Him often for, too.

Joseph longed for freedom for years, waiting first as a slave and then as a prisoner. Yet he continued to worship the Lord during that time. And, he continued to excel at the tasks he was given, whatever those responsibilities entailed. As we writers are so often told at conferences, I can continue to work on other projects during my wait-time, putting forth my best efforts on every article or blog post or query letter I type. Joseph’s situation reminds me that “God intended it all for good” (Genesis 50:20), and that I should “not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up” (Galatians 6:9). 

Simeon waited with absolute certainty and great expectation on the Christ Child. Each day, Simeon awakened with one thought on his mind –“Is today the day Jesus comes?” The Bible uses two words to describe Simeon in Luke 2:25 – devout and righteous. This story reminds me that Simeon lived a life that reflected His Father in heaven and actively anticipated the coming of Christ. May Simeon be an example for me on how to wait well!

Anna waited on the Christ-child, too. While she waited, she “worshiped night and day, fasting and praying….[and] gave thanks to God” (Luke 2:37-38).

The centurion Cornelius, having had a vision from the Lord, waited for more insight from Peter. I wonder if Cornelius ever doubted that Peter would come to his home upon his request? How I love to read the words that followed, when Peter arrives and says, “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right” (Acts 10:34-35). While I’m waiting, I can share the good news with anyone I come in contact with, from every nation, without any favoritism.

Peter waited in prison and had no idea what fate beheld him. He boldly spoke of the Lord’s goodness, and it subsequently landed him in prison. And with his miraculous escape, Peter exclaimed: “Now I know without a doubt that the Lord has sent his angel and recued me …” (Acts 12:11). God’s timing is always, always perfect. And I can remember to give Him all the glory, for His ways are best. 

From just a cursory exploration in God’s word, I found seven opportunities of waiting well as a writer. 

W – Walk with the Lord with a growing faith each day. 

A – Appreciate and praise God for the gifts He gives me.

I – Invest in other projects God allows me to take part in. 

T – Transform my life into one that reflects Christ to those around me.

I – Incorporate worship and thanksgiving in my life, night and day. 

N – Nurture a relationship with Christ with those I come in contact with.

G – Glorify God in everything I do, even when my timing ideas differ from His perfect ones.

Thank you, God, that YOU know the plans for me. Thank you, God, that those plans are always, always good. 

What about you? Is waiting hard for you? What helps you wait well as a writer? 

TWEETABLE

Julie Lavender is waiting—patiently, on most days—for her newest book, Children’s Bible Stories for Bedtime, published by Z Kids/Penguin Random House to launch into the world in early January. What she’s most excited about is knowing that little children, like her three-year-old grandson, will learn more about God from the words He gave her to write for this new project. Connect with Julie on social media and julielavenderwrites.com.

14 comments:

  1. Julie,

    Waiting is one of the many challenges of publishing and you've given us a number of great action steps while we wait. I'm currently waiting on a number of things in my life in publishing. One of the best action steps I've found while waiting is to push forward and work on a different aspect of publishing--a different piece of writing, a different book, a different marketing campaign and different opportunity--and there are many before us if we make the right pitch.

    Terry
    author of Book Proposals That $ell, 21 Secrets To Speed Your Success (Revised Edition)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think waiting is definitely one of the biggest publishing challenges for me. I love your idea to push forward, while waiting, and work on something completely different but yet still in the writing arena. That way, we feel like we are still "working on our writing," but technically it's a different aspect of that journey. Thanks for that tip, Terry!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this, Julie. It's so relatable as well as inspiring. God's timing is perfect even though it doesn't always make sense to us. I love the acrostic for WAITING. It applies to every area of our lives. I'm excited for your Bible storybook to come out! It will bless thousands of families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Crystal and for the kind words. I had fun perusing those great Bible stories to find examples of waiting. I'm excited about Children's Bible Stories for Bedtime, and I'm praying that it blesses lots of little ones and the adults who love them.

      Delete
  3. Oh Lord, we all want patience, but we want the instant kind. Why must you make us wait? I think we've all been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Jay! I feel like I pray for patience, but then, I think, "but I want it NOW."

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this, Julie! I too am in the process of waiting for my books to be published. The date keeps getting pushed back and it has been very discouraging. The temptation to give up is very strong, so I've desperately needed encouragement to press beyond doubt and keep doing what God calls me to do. Thank you for pointing out better opportunities for us to seek in the waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, my friend! It's so very hard for me, the waiting game, but I certainly try to learn what God wants me to learn while I wait.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this post! I love the acronym for Waiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting and joining the conversation. I enjoyed looking through some of my favorite Bible stories to learn new lessons about waiting!

      Delete
  6. I'm sensing Romans 8:28 here, knowing that the Great Redeemer makes all things work together for good to those who are called according to His purpose. He's going to use this time of waiting for His glory. You get to participate! Meanwhile, your treatise on waiting encourages me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I love that thought "I get to participate" in this time of waiting for His glory. That's an excellent way to "wait," Tim! Great point!

      Delete
  7. I love this. I've given talks on the Journey of patience as a writer. For several years, the talk included a story about a book offer...and then the likelihood of it not becoming a book due to legal matters. (Shockingly, it is finally a book!)I

    God is good. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good Julie! I’m waiting on a publisher. I’m waiting on a request to write for a publication. I sometimes check my email more than God’s word. Arrgghh! Thanks for the “waiting” tips.

    ReplyDelete