Monday, May 31, 2021

Fulfill the Promises You Made Your Readers!

Edie here. Today we're welcoming another amazing writer to the Write Conversation columnist team. Welcome Molly Jo Realy! She a writing coach, social media expert, and one of my dearest friends. She also has several books out, including her novel, NOLA.  Be sure to give her a warm TWC welcome!


Fulfill the Promises You Made Your Readers!

by Molly Jo Realy @MollyJoRealy

 

If y’all are family, friends, or follow me on social media, you’ll know I moved to the South around two and a half years ago. I spent a few decades in the desert of Southern California, and while it had its perks, the Southern Life is where it’s at. 

 

Raise a sweet tea to that, amiright?!

 

Now, prior to living in either SC, I was born and raised in the Midwest. I am not unfamiliar with thunderstorms and rainy seasons. But these massive Southern storms y’all are putting on the books? Well, when I first moved to South Carolina, after a few months of intermittent rain followed by a little more rain followed by—you guessed it— a lot of rain, I was told by several people, “It’s not always like this.” 

 

Folks. I’ve been here 31 months. 

 

It is exactly always like this. 

 

The sun comes out maybe once or twice a week. At least that’s what it seems like to This former SoCal Girl.

 

Recently, we were told to expect a massive storm spanning several states over several days. While the storm did impact a large area, my home base was left mostly unaffected. 

 

A relief mixed with a little let down. Don’t get me wrong. I am glad and grateful we did not experience the horrendous affects that others have. I do not wish destruction on any part of the world. 

 

But now what do I do with the extra supplies I have at home? Do they just sit there, waiting for the next alert? Let them spoil in unused anticipation? Or can I put them to use?

 

It got me thinking about writing and if I ever let my readers down in the same way. 

 

Do I build up to a promising scene, only to let it fall flat? Do I hint at something extraordinary in the storyline but never fulfill it? Do I ask the audience to prepare for something that never happens, leaving them with unusable adrenaline and confusion?

 

My peeps, if you write out a promise in your book, y’all need to fulfill it, one way or another. Not fully, and not always with a happy ending. But you can’t announce a storm’s a-brewing then leave everything with sunshine and daisies. 

 

This is not the same as a planted distraction or a little pollen. In life, and in good writing, there are always the things that can’t be tied up neatly. There are things we need to be able to turn away and move on from. 

 

A promise is not one of them. 

 

The unexpected storm shifted, and while we didn’t get a full-force attack, the clouds gathered in preparation of something. 

 

My brother who lives in the fairly uneventful central coast of California checked in. I texted him back, “Maybe thunderstorms later. Nothing so far.” He responded, “You’re boring.” He lives vicariously through my adventures, just as my readers live vicariously through my words. 

Almost immediately, the clouds shifted again, and brought with them an instant deluge that flooded roads, flashed and boomed, and took out power. 

 

I took a short video and sent it to my brother.

 

It seems the storm fulfilled its promise after all.

 

The storm dissipated but the power remained off for the rest of the day. In other areas, the storm’s impact was destructive. 

 

Does the fruition of your promises carry consequences, either known, possible, or unknown? They should. 

 

As writer, I say, “Take note.”

 

Because while it’s okay to delay, it is never okay to avoid fulfilling a stated promise to your readers. 


Come alive, stay wild, and always, savor the journey!






TWEETABLE

Fulfill the Promises You Made Your Readers! - @MollyJoRealy on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)


Author of the romantic location mystery novel, NOLA, Molly Jo Realy is an award-winning writer and author coach. Known as the Bohemian Hurricane, she encourages people to embrace their unique talents to come alive and stay wild every day. Addicted to cats, coffee, and pens in no particular order.

Follow her on Twitter and Instagram for more fun!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome! ... and thanks for an important reminder hidden in this fun story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome aboard, Molly, I look forward to more of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete