Monday, March 8, 2021

March Speaking Tips for Authors


by Yvonne Ortega @YvonneOrtega1

The kid in me wants to speak on all the online calendar topics for the month of March. Let’s look at how this would play out.

First, Stand for ethics all the time.

March is National Ethics Month. According to macmillandictionary.com, “Ethics is a set of principles that people use to decide what is right and what is wrong.” In my stand for ethics, my yes means yes and my no means no.

An example of ethics would be the proper permission for filming at speaking engagements. If I film people online or in person, I need their written permission ahead of time. People have the right to withhold their permission, and I must honor that. 

At a live event on resilience, I printed permission forms and took them with me. 

In a recent online workshop, Writing About What You’ve Learned So Far in Crisis, the attendees chose not to be filmed or recorded. If I want video recordings of that content, I can record each session by myself. Then I can sell the individual recordings or the entire course at a package price online. 

The hosts on the Writer’s Chat interviewed me on the topic of Writing to Heal vs. Writing about Trauma. They have a policy in place for filming. During the recording of the presentation, only the speaker and the hosts are filmed. After the presentation, all other attendees can turn on their video, unmute, and ask questions or comment. 

Second, Speak in a foreign language whenever you can.

March is Foreign Language Month. My first language is Spanish, and I speak and sing in Spanish when I can. Every so often, I do a Facebook Live in Spanish. One Christian leader listened to one of them and said, “I don’t speak Spanish or understand it, but I could sense your love and compassion for your audience.

Before I spoke in Spanish at a women’s event in New Jersey, I recorded my testimony in Spanish and duplicated recordings of it to sell there. Their eagerness to take God’s Word home with them filled my heart with joy. The last part of the recording explained how to have a relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ. 

You may know a foreign language or a few phrases in it. Look for opportunities to use what you know in that language. You can use an interpreter. However, you touch the hearts of your audience when you attempt to speak their language. 

One friend used what phrases she knew in Spanish and received offers for free tutoring in that language. An Australian friend serves on the mission field in Japan. I respect her efforts to understand the Japanese culture and to teach the people how to write for publication in English.

If your religious or civic organization helps refugees from other nations settle in the United States, you may learn their language in the process. 

Third, Take care of your physical body.

March is also National Nutrition Month. I reap the benefits when I eat healthy food and suffer the consequences when I don’t.

I received one body for life on earth. I can trade books, appliances, and cars for new ones, but not my body. So, I remind myself of the seriousness of proper nutrition for my body, the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Aging is a natural process. You and I come with an expiration date. Furthermore, climate changes and accidents can interfere with our best efforts. In the past week, an author friend slipped on the ice and sprained her ankle.

At Christmas time, a woman rushed to get ready for the arrival of her daughter and son-in-law. She experienced a dizzy spell and passed out. After this happened again, she spent time in the hospital and in rehab because of a heart problem and surgery. She’s learned not to ignore warning signs. 

During flu season, I wash my hands more often, drink plenty of water, and rest. A power nap of twenty to thirty minutes mid-afternoon helps when I have an evening event.

In summary, my March speaking tips are:
  • Stand for ethics all the time.
  • Speak in a foreign language whenever you can.
  • Take care of your physical body. 
What will you do to march forward in the month of March and year-round? 

TWEETABLE

Yvonne’s background as a licensed professional counselor brings a unique perspective into the heart of women. She’s a speaking and writing coach and the owner of Moving from Broken to Beautiful®, LLC. She belongs to the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, the Christian Authors Network, the National Speakers Association, and Toastmasters International.

She celebrates life at the beach, where she walks, builds sand castles, blows bubbles, and dances.

No comments:

Post a Comment