Thursday, January 14, 2021

Collateral Blessings for Writers: Unexpected Surprises from God


by Julie Lavender @JLavenderWrites

Don’t you love when God totally surprises you with a blessing you didn’t see coming? 

I’ve played around on Facebook for a number of years, starting my personal page long ago when my teenagers first asked to join the social media world. “Only if you help your technologically-challenged mother set up an account, too,” I’d replied. “So that I can monitor your activity … somewhat.” I knew my tech intel skills couldn’t rival that of my kids, but, luckily, my teens were more interested in getting to church on time for youth group than they were getting into anything devious online. 

As my writing career continued to move forward, social media became more of a work tool for me than a teenage surveillance device. I paid attention at conferences like Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference and learned to sincerely engage with those that might be part of my potential audience for my writing. 

And, when I signed a contract back in 2019 for my parenting book that came out in October of 2020, I really ramped up my presence and posts. I enjoyed the camaraderie of fellow writers, as well as the moms and homeschooling mommies that my posts and shares catered to. 

When Revell/Baker Publishing released my book, 365 Ways to Love Your Child: Turning Little Momeinto Lasting Memories, I posted the obligatory “please check out my book” memes, in addition to my engagement posts of encouraging Bible verses, fun holiday celebrations, and helpful parenting tips that had become staple shares over the last couple of years.

Shortly after my book launch, I received a Facebook private message from a young adult whom I’d volunteered with in the children’s ministry at my church many years ago. When we volunteered, she was a college student at the local university, and I had two kids in the youth group and two kids in the children’s ministry. Though we were Facebook “friends,” we hadn’t chatted personally for quite some time – all four of my kids are college grads now, so that’s an indication of the time lapse. 

Late one night while I was working on the computer, a Facebook private message popped up from this young lady. With my words interspersed in the conversation that I’ll leave out for the sake of space, here are the words she sent me: 

Your social media posts encourage my soul so incredibly much! You truly inspire me to reach for Jesus more! I don’t have children. I don’t even have a boyfriend, but I bought your book because I know how inspiring and encouraging you are! 

While volunteering [in the children’s program at church] I truly learned how to Christ in a classroom where I can’t share Christ! It’s definitely changed the way I interact with my students. Please keep writing and posting and encouraging! It truly is your gift from God. 

I can’t speak for everyone but knowing you has made me a better person and a better disciple of Christ. Recently, I’ve struggled in my walk, but every single time I get on social media and see your posts, I’m automatically pointed back to Christ. I can never thank you enough. 

I’ve wandered in my recent years, but Christ has led me back to church. I’m excited for this new season, and you were a big catalyst in getting me back in the door. I hope our paths cross sooner rather than later. 

I wept at the computer as I read her messages and thanked her profusely for sharing such sweet words to me. It was a poignant lesson for me that I can plan my steps – posts and engagement aimed at parents who might consider buying my book – but the Lord directs my path – posts that touch the heart of a single, childless teacher and send her on a journey back into the fellowship of God’s fold.

“Marketing” has never been my purpose for Facebook engagement, yet social media had become a viable tool for bringing awareness about my parenting book. But what if God’s plans for my social media posts had little to do with my new release and more to do with refreshing the soul of a wanderer? What if that was His intent all along? 

I asked my friend for permission to share her words as a reminder that God can do exceedingly and abundantly more than I can ever dream. I believe God led me to those posts – some announcing silly holidays and others expressing powerful Bible verses – for such a time as this, in ways that I will probably only barely comprehend.

Thank you God, for surprise treats. 

Write on, my friends, and keep your eyes open for unexpected, collateral blessings from the Lord.

TWEETABLE

Julie Lavender, author of 365 Ways to Love Your Child: Turning Little Moments into Lasting Memories (Revell), looks forward to a new year of engaging conversations on social media. Please connect with her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/julie.lavender.10 or https://www.facebook.com/groups/607967430049843; Twitter at https://twitter.com/JLavenderwrites; and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/julielavenderwrites/.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing! I'm encouraged to perhaps stay on facebook, as I am praying to leave this platform because of the censorship they are involved in. Asking the Lord for wisdom and direction.
    Toni Rypkema

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, Toni, and I ask the Lord often to guide my posts and the words I say! May we all use each of our platforms for Him!

      Delete
  2. Ms. Julie; thank you for this inspiring post. More and more I refer to it as "anti-social" media because that seems to be the behavioral pattern most there follow. Yours was such a needed message; and a reminder that we need to rise above the "worldliness" of these platforms and use them as a ministry tool to help us keep shining His light into this ever-darkening world. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, JD.
      And yes Julie - thank you for such uplifting words timed so perfectly. :)

      Delete
    2. J.D., thank you for your kind and encouraging words, as I've come to so appreciate from you! And, I just think it's such a sweet treat from God when, yes, I may have planned to use it as a ministry tool with my Bible verses and such, but yet God surprised me with a completely different result than what I was expecting! He's so good like that, you know? Blessings to you and your sweet Diane!

      Delete
    3. And, Chris - thank you for your kind words!! I love sharing God-stories, because they bless me so much, and it's always my prayer that someone else will be uplifted as well!

      Delete
  3. This is so lovely. It's moments like these that make being a writer so worth it. It's words of encouragement like that that stick with us for decades! I am blessed to have a friend who formerly, as a stranger, wrote me an email from the Philippines. It was 16 years ago. In her email, she'd said I'd written helpful advice in my book on play that she used with her preschoolers. We have been Facebook friends ever since. I have been blessed to see, via Facebook, her children grow up and go to college! I love being part of her life, and she continues to bless me, even though we have never met in person. It's part of a larger story I may post on my blog, as it was a miracle she'd even gotten my book in the first place, and only after I'd prayed that at least one person would be touched by that book. It's a continual reminder that we may be writing for a specific person and that should be enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I LOVE stories like the one you just shared!!! And what touches me so very much about those kinds of stories is, that if we know that one story, we can only imagine more stories that took place but yet we don't know about! God truly can do exceedingly and abundantly more than I can dream, but I do so love when Het lets me see a glimpse, with a particular story like yours or what happened to me! You should definitely write that story for others to hear! I'm sure they'll be truly blessed and inspired!!

      Delete
  4. Julie, thank you for this reminder that our thoughts and ways are vastly different from God's. He's always at work. Like your friend who wrote to you, I appreciate the godly and family-oriented messages you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, I just love when God gives me these kinds of reminders! I love that He shows me He cares about the words I write; I love that He INSPIRES the words that I write and gives them to me to put on paper, and I love that He uses those words in ways that He chooses - which may be vastly different than my plans! He's so good like that!!! (And, thank you so much for your sweet words!!! I feel the same about your godly posts, too!! You inspire me, my dear!) Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Julie, this touched my heart. THIS is why we write! Thank you for sharing--it's encouraged me to press on.

    Peace and grace,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing those sweet words with me, Tammy! My heart was so moved when she first messaged me those comments! The tears fell, and I just kept thanking God for letting me be a small part of her story! And, I agree ... THIS is why we write!!! Blessings, Tammy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, Julie. I believe God allows us little glimpses here and there to let us know what we do makes a difference. It's His way of saying, "Keep using your gift of writing to point people to Me."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crystal, for your kind words. I LOVE when God gives these glimpses that remind me that it's all about Him! Such a sweet reminder for us writers to keep planting and watering and leave the growth up to Him. Blessings!

      Delete
  8. Your encouraging words have me weeping. I love the way God blesses in the most unexpected ways! He is faithful. Beautiful post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words that bring tears to my eyes!! He is so very faithful! And, I certainly didn't deserve a glimpse of what He was doing, but it certainly was a treat to me, and I praised Him for that blessing!!

      Delete