Friday, January 8, 2021

A Biblical Prayer for Writers


by Joshua J. Masters @JoshuaJMasters

After the struggles of the last year, many of us are rededicating ourselves to more productive writing schedules, a greater respect for deadlines, and an organized plan for our business. But if our last turbulent trip around the sun taught us anything, it’s that we should focus on the things that are most important and be grateful for the things we take for granted.

 

For Christian authors, our focus and our gratitude should continually return to the One who called us to a life of writing, the One who put that desire in our hearts and outlined our purpose in His plan. Yet I sometimes find the tasks of writing can overshadow the worship that should drive and inform the words I write.

 

So, how do we remain focused on God and His call on our lives as we continue to be faithful to the work of that calling? 

 

The biblical prayer for writers that follows is based on over a dozen passages of scripture, encouraging us to lean into the promises and character of God as we write. In this new year, let’s remain focused on Him—not only by making this prayer our own, but by reading and meditating on the passages themselves. 

 

 

Dear Lord,

Your Word is living and active. It sees the very intentions of my heart,1

And I pray You would examine my heart2 as I write words to reflect the truth of Yours.

 

Just as you directed Isaiah, Jeremiah, and John to write the things You revealed to them,3

May my writing be true to what you reveal in my own life—not for my purpose, but for Yours alone.

 

May the words that first come to my heart be words of worship,

That I might proclaim the words of the psalmist:

 

“My heart is moved by a noble theme as I recite my verses to the King; 

My tongue is the pen of a skillful writer.” 4

 

I have so many dreams for my writing, so many plans. 

But I pray You would make my steps sure.

Help me seek You and Your path rather than my own.5

Teach me to work with integrity, writing for Your pleasure above all else. 6

 

And as I dedicate myself to learning the craft You’ve placed on my heart,

Help me commit all my work to You, Lord.7

 

When I need to focus, remind me that Your shield surrounds me. 8

When I am discouraged, remind me that You will lift me up. 9

When I am without words, remind me that wisdom comes from Your mouth. 10

 

Humble my heart in success,

Encourage my heart in disappointment,

And strengthen my heart in Your purpose. 11

 

Not to my name, but to Yours alone may glory come12 through these words I write.

 

I ask these things knowing I am Your workmanship,

That You created me to fulfill the deeds you’ve designed just for me.13

May my heart and my pen forever seek those things.

 

In the name of Christ, the Word that became flesh,

 

Amen.

 

1. Hebrews 4:12

2. Psalm 139:23

3. Isaiah 30:8; Jeremiah 30:2; Revelation 1:19

5. Psalm 45:1 (CSB)

6. Proverbs 3:5-6, 16:9

7. Colossians 3:23; 2 Timothy 2:15

4. Proverbs 16:3

8. Psalm 3:3

9. 1 Peter 5:6-9

10. Proverbs 2:6

11. Philippians 4:11-13

12. Psalm 115:1

13. Ephesians 2:10


TWEETABLE

A Biblical Prayer for Writers - @JoshuaJMasters on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)


Joshua J. Masters is a pastor, author, and speaker with a heart for encouraging others. His book on prayer, American Psalms, was a Serious Writer’s Book of the Decade finalist. He’s been featured on CBN Television, HIS Radio, the Light Radio Network, and worked in the film industry as a member of SAG-AFTRA performer. He is a regular teacher and speaker for large groups. A self-proclaimed sci-fi and comic book geek, Josh loves film, pop culture and is known in some circles as The Bat Pastor. Joshua was raised in the White Mountains of New England and now serves as a pastor in South Carolina where he lives with his wife, Gina, and their miniature poodle, Franklin the Pup, who is the subject of his latest book. Josh would love to connect with you on his website,  JoshuaJMasters.com.

22 comments:

  1. Thank you, Rev Masters, for this prayer based so solidly on the word of God. As I was praying this morning, the word Jesus spoke in the desert came to me: "Man cannot live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God." [So, what does that mean, Lord? How does that work? How does this fit in with the writing?] I read this post, found the prayer, the list of scriptures and turned to Hebrews 4:12-13--the first verse on the list. "...The word of God is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." so there, you, go. This verse is the beginning of God's answer to my prayer as is your question that echos mine from earlier, but expanded on it so that your question more specifically states what I was mulling over: how to live God's word. You ask: "How do we remain focused on God and His call on our lives as we continue to be faithful to the work of that calling?" Yes. That is exactly what I wanted to know, wanted to ask God for earlier. Thank you, for compiling these verses and organizing them into this prayer and for the list of verses. I have printed them (prayer and verses) to put in my prayer journal and will be reading my way through the verses, Blessings, Ann Westerman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I'm so moved and grateful to read about your experience this morning. Isn't it amazing how God moves in our lives, speaking through different people and avenues to make His voice unmistakable? Thank you so much for sharing this story. I know it will encourage others.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is amazing. We really are in His classroom, moving forward according to the curriculum He has set out for us, and opening our eyes to see those He has placed in our path to encourage us and help us along... You were an answer to my prayer for help. Your post was at His disposal, and He maneuvered me to it, and used it to answer my question. How does He do this? manage the time so that you write and post just in time to answer my question? It makes me smile to think of the careful attention to detail He has, and not just for me, but for all who settle themselves in to read, to study, to listen, to question, to obey. blessings on your day and thank you, once again, for your obedience to follow the nudge to write the things He put on your heart... without even considering the consequences.. those He had already lined up to be blessed.. Blessings, Ann

      Delete
    3. I'm truly humbled God allowed me to be a small part of your encounter with Him today. Great blessings to you.

      Delete
  2. I love to pray Scripture, Josh. Thank you so much. I'm going to print this out and pray it daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an incredible compliment. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. I pray God continues to encourage you through this prayer.

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful and started me day perfectly with this prayer Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I'm so glad this was helpful to you. May the Lord continue to speak to you.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful prayer and list of Scriptures. You've put into words the things on every Christian writer's heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leigh. May God's Word of hope remain on our hearts as we write and seek a deeper relationship with Him.

      Delete
  5. Grateful to have this prayer to ponder and put into practice. Thank you Josh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Dawn. I pray that we would all ponder God's Word as our guide and then follow His direction.

      Delete
  6. This is wonderful! Thank you so much, Joshua!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were encouraged, Crystal. You're welcome, and thank you for taking the time to encourage me with a comment.

      Delete
  7. Joshua, Thank you for sharing this inspiring prayer to keep our focus on Him. It had such a profound effect on me that I've bookmarked the page and printed the prayer to put in my writer's notebook. Shalom and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay. That is so meaningful to me. I'm so glad God spoke to you through this prayer and I pray He continues to encourage you.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful! Inspirational and encouraging. Thank you Joshua.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Melissa. May the Lord be glorified in our work

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this prayer, Josh. I want to be saturated with these words so I do not forget them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those encouraging words, Marilyn. May we all be saturated with the Word of God and His plan for our lives.

      Delete