Monday, December 14, 2020

Speaking Opportunities for Authors in December


by Yvonne Ortega @YvonneOrtega1

Speaking opportunities for authors abound in December. You may raise your brows in disbelief. After all, live events are minimal with strict policies for masks, social distancing, and sanitizing measures. Let’s look at the reasons why you can still speak in December.

First, speaking opportunities for authors abound in free teleconference calls.

My friend Sandra holds free teleconference calls monthly to help adults cope with stress and anxiety from the uncertainties of the pandemic. She shares tips from her books and blogposts. She also draws a name on each call for someone to win a free thirty-minute session with her. 

The Advanced Writers and Speakers Association (AWSA) periodically sends a request for professional AWSA members to speak on their Protégée Power Call, a live training phone call. Many who read or write for the Write Conversation belong to AWSA and have done so including me. 

My colleague Kristi scheduled free personal appointments with her active readers to thank them for their support and to inform them about her work in progress. They’ve given her valuable input about what they would like in that next book. 

Second, speaking opportunities abound through online platforms. 

My aunt and uncle live in a senior residential home. My schedule includes a weekly call to them on FaceTime. I talk to them about my latest writing project and my new page on Facebook for divorced Christian women. They enjoy Facebook, check each update, and share it with extended family and friends.

People who don’t believe in Jesus Christ or have turned away because of past hurts cross my path through online platforms. I ask God for open doors not to preach to them, but to let them know how God helped me get through my past hurts. 

I informed my relatives about a radio interview on the choice to move forward after multiple losses in my life. One of my cousins received a phone call from a widower. She told him about the radio interview. He listened to it and called her back.

He said, “She had a lot of helpful things to say about grief.” 

My cousin then directed him to my YouTube channel to watch my other interviews on cancer, loss, and forgiveness. 

Third, speaking opportunities occur while waiting in line. 

If you have a published book, one in progress, or a blog, you can speak about it to the people standing in line next to you. One lady at the grocery store said, “I don’t have time to waste in line. I need to get home to do the laundry and start dinner.”

With a nod, I said, “I understand. I need to get home and write another chapter for my book on divorce.”

“Is it a radical feminist approach or a male basher?”

“Neither. My story tells how God helped me move forward and experience freedom, peace, and joy, even during the holidays.”

I carry bookmarks and business cards in my purse. They list my most requested speaking topics, my four published books, and contact information. 

Consider asking God to position you in line next to someone who needs a word of encouragement.

In summary, speaking opportunities for authors abound in December:
  • In free teleconference use
  • Through online platforms 
  • While waiting in line
Ask God which of these speaking opportunities you can make better use of or for other creative ways to share what God has done for you in your writing endeavors. 

TWEETABLE

Yvonne’s background as a licensed professional counselor brings a unique perspective into the heart of women. She’s a speaking and writing coach and the owner of Moving from Broken to Beautiful®, LLC. She belongs to the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, the Christian Authors Network, the National Speakers Association, and Toastmasters International.

She celebrates life at the beach, where she walks, builds sand castles, blows bubbles, and dances.

2 comments: