Thursday, July 2, 2020

A Writer's Biggest Fan


by Lynn H. Blackburn @LynnHBlackburn

I never dreamed that we would be one of “those” families—the kind whose kids have sports almost every night of the week. But then I had boys and they turned into ballplayers. Flag football, basketball, baseball. They can’t get enough.

And the truth is, neither can I.

The squeak of rubber soles on a gym floor. The swish when the ball slides through the net.

The crack of the bat. The satisfying thunk when the ball lands in the glove. 

I love all of it.

I’m a fan of sports in general, but it’s an entirely different ballgame when it’s my child on the field.

I love watching my boys do something they love. The intensity on their faces as they drive the ball up the court. The focused concentration as they watch the ball into their glove. The pure joy when they make a catch, hit a home run, or sink the winning shot. 

And I’m not a passive observer. While I’m normally reserved, there’s an entirely different side of me that emerges when my kids are playing. (Or, to be honest, when Clemson plays, but that’s a story for another day). I’m that mom who jumps out of my seat and cheers at full volume. I yell encouragement and scream with joy when the play unfolds perfectly. 

A few weeks ago I was watching one of my sons play, and I had a mom moment. I can’t remember the specifics—I think my son made a great catch—and I found myself blinking back tears. I couldn’t get a handle on why I was so happy. It’s a baseball game, I reminded myself. Just a game. 

But . . .

That’s my son out there doing something he loves. He’s good at it. He plays his heart out and it brings him joy. And because of that, it brings me joy.

And then I had a writer moment. 

I didn’t hear an audible voice. It was more of an impression, a thought, a picture. I realized that when I’m sitting at my desk writing, or brainstorming with my friends, or teaching a class, or encouraging a fellow writer, God sees. When I’m doing this thing that I love, God is right there. And here’s the part that blew me away.

God loves all of it.

Can you picture it with me? God is present, listening to the quiet clicking of computer keys or the soft scrape of pen on paper. He’s there in the noisy restaurants (if we ever get to back to them), the coffee shops, the conference sessions. He’s watching as minds are tuned toward stories and plots and “a-ha” moments flicker through the room like fireflies. He’s reading over our shoulder as we send the late night texts and He’s listening in on the phone conversations as the children He has called to write work through their fears and insecurities. 

He sees us when we hit send on the query letter, the manuscript, the blog post.

He’s watching us do this thing we love and I believe it brings Him joy. 

I know we tend to think of God as serious and somber. He is God after all. And in no way would I diminish His holiness or majesty or glory. But this is the same God who says in Zephaniah that He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by his love; He will exult over you with loud singing. 

That doesn’t sound like God is sitting quietly, fingers steepled, giving a slight nod of encouragement, now does it? No. When I read that, I imagine God leaning forward, maybe even holding His breath, watching for the moment when all the pieces click, and when they do, He lets out a holy whoop of joy.

So today, tonight, tomorrow, the next time you sit down to write, take a second and picture the arena. Imagine that you’re on the field and God is watching from the stands. He’s not there as umpire or referee, ready to penalize any missteps. He’s there as Father. As the One who made you and loves you like no one else ever has or ever will, and He’s cheering you on. 

Then write your heart out for Him.

Grace and peace,





TWEETABLE

Lynn H. Blackburn loves writing suspense because her childhood fantasy was to become a spy, but her grown-up reality is that she's a huge chicken and would have been caught on her first mission. She prefers to live vicariously through her characters and loves putting them into all kinds of terrifying situations while she's sitting at home safe and sound in her pajamas! 

Her Dive Team Investigations series kicked off in 2018 with Beneath the Surface and In Too Deep (A SIBA Okra pick and Selah Award Finalist). The 3rd book in the series, One Final Breath, released September 2019 and is a 2020 Selah Award and a 2020 Faith Hope, and Love Reader’s Choice Award finalist. She is also the author of Hidden Legacy and Covert Justice, which won the 2016 Carol Award for Short Novel and the 2016 Selah Award for Mystery and Suspense. Lynn lives in South Carolina with her true love and their three children. You can follow her real life happily ever after at LynnHBlackburn.com and @LynnHBlackburn on BookbubFacebookTwitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.

11 comments:

  1. Lynn,

    Thank you for this article and the unusual perspective--yet an important one--about how God watches over us and takes pleasure in our writing. I found it inspirational and encouraging.

    Terry
    author of 10 Publishing Myths, Insights Every Author Needs to Succeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lynn! I love the verse from Zephaniah you referred to and the picture it brings to mind. Your post was a beautiful start to my day and will encourage me as I write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew by the title, where you were going, but I absolutely LOVE how you set it up. Even though I know God's sense of humor, you gave me a fresh vision. Thank you, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything said so nicely, Lynn, and so many of us can identify with your words! Keep them coming. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this so much, Lynn...the image of God in the room with me, cheering me on. What an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! You have amplified our own "mom moments" and "writer moments".
    Living for our Father, in all aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Lynn. We tend to forget that God is on our side, rooting for our success and knowing what we love. Praise God from whom all blessings flow...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful a insight! It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from any movie. In "Chariots of Fire", the Scottish missionary says "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure." I guess we can say, "And when we write, we feel His pleasure."

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really resonates with me. Lynn! Now, off to write so God can cheer me on :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m not a writer, but the image and Scripture reminds me that no matter how he has gifted us, he is there with us, encouraging, cheering, sometimes weeping, but ... Emmanuel!

    ReplyDelete